Options

Going For Gold: Anyone else remember it?

Comments

• Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contestants used to give thumbs up and silly waves. It was so tacky!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    GFG was fantastic.
    'Who am I? I was born in austria in 1963 to a german mother......'
    On a football away trip a few years back we were reminiscing about the programme, having a good laugh about it etc. We stopped off in a pub on the way back and there was a quiz presenters edition of 'the weakest link' on the telly with henry kelly on it. Very spooky as I hadnt seen the guy for about 8 years before that day or since actually.
  • Options
    FootlessMichaelFootlessMichael Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry Kelly in recent years has been working for Classic FM (breakfast) and I think hes now on LBC in London
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    kitticat wrote:
    Like many other DS people, I was off school ill the week it launched (sae time as Neighbours, Oct '86). As I lay bedridden with chickenpox (not much fun at 15), GFG had me in hysterics.

Neighours launched in half-term week. Hence the fact that so many kids saw it start and then tried to skip school to watch it.

Probably the smartest scheduling move the BBC ever made.
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    With regard to GFG - I always used to wonder who Hans was.

"Hans on your buzzers"

(at least that is what it always sounded like)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: .... was 4 Square with Andrew Sachs.
    Anyone remember that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember a Tennis based quiz on the BBC during daytime.
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contestants used to give thumbs up and silly waves. It was so tacky!

A bit like they do on Millionaire! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjb007 wrote:
    A bit like they do on Millionaire! :D

Yes but at least on Millionaire they don't pop up all over the opening credits!
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that Going for Gold also had Daphne Fowler (EggHeads) as one of the series winners!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will2510 wrote:
    Don't forget that Going for Gold also had Daphne Fowler (EggHeads) as one of the series winners!

Who??? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daphne fowler silly.

one of the egg heads

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::D
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    MarkLS12 wrote:
    Originaly it was a programme for both the BBC and "Super Channel".
    "Super Channel" was at that time was trying to be a sort of pan european "UKTV Gold" aimed at English speakers throughout Europe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_channel

The first series prize was a trip to the 1988 Olympics, hence the title.

Is that how European folk applyed to a UK game show.

Ps What about putting Countdown to the Olympics in 2012 and have contestants from all over the world especialy with sports presenter Des Lynam as host
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steinman wrote:
    :rolleyes: .... was 4 Square with Andrew Sachs.
    Anyone remember that?

I do... but I think it was John Sachs (star voiceover artist) presenting it, and not Andrew Sachs (Manuel in Fawlty Towers).

If I remember, Michael Groth did a couple of series as well, but wasn't as good....
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a Tennis based quiz on the BBC during daytime.

Matchpoint - presented by Angela Rippon!

Had a terrific theme tune as well
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG.. a Gameshow thread that remlap hasn't found yet... :)

DP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Akilduff wrote:
    I do... but I think it was John Sachs (star voiceover artist) presenting it, and not Andrew Sachs (Manuel in Fawlty Towers).

If I remember, Michael Groth did a couple of series as well, but wasn't as good....

Oh yes, silly me it was John Sachs.
    "I'm so sorry.. I'm from Barcelona! :D "
  • Options
    SO 158SO 158 Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching this quiz show as well, when I was little. It was on after Neighbours, but I only seem to remember the theme tune.
  • Options
    sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG - Going for Gold. Made on a budget of about 27p and with the patronising Henry Kelly. He of the inpenetrable accent and the perma slick hair. Car crash television and totally unmissable!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten how naff the opening credits where until I saw the clips posted on this thread!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legendary.
    Did a Danish contestant really buzz in as soon as Henry Kelly said "Who am I?..." and answer "Henry Kelly"?

Not sure if is just a media myth that I have assimilated into my brain, but i am about 99% sure that I remember this happening! Now I know that only the british could come up with a gameshow in which they are up against contestants battling a language barrier (no mean feat with HK's acent at times!) but surely it occurred to the contestant that merely naming the host was slightly too easy a question to be legitimately asked on a game show??!!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those "Who am I" quizes where always ridiculous because I'd never heard of half the people they were supposed to be about!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote:
    Who remembers the guy who was a 'lucky loser' who only got through because another contestant was taken ill and dropped out,and who then went on to win the entire series? He went absolutely beserk when he won,jumping up and down and waving his arms around all over the place,etc! Can't remember which,but I'm pretty sure he was from either Norway or Denmark.

Stumbled across this thread whilst trawling t'internet for this very clip. The guy went frickin' mental. Unbelievable telly. Looking at the list of series winners and narrowing it down to my student days it must've been Erik Matteson from Norway. I long for the day someone chucks it on YouTube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Going for Gold is in the Radio Times top 50 worst ever Tv programmes in this weeks issue
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,011
    Forum Member
    Going For Gold was absolutely AMAZING!!!!

I used to love it! Reminds me of my youth.

But I only remeber it being with British/Irish people.

At the start it was a whole bunch of people and then it got whittled down to 5 and then 3 and then 2 right? I never remembered the foreigners!

I must admit Im frequently a viewer of Questions pour un Champion on TV5 even though my french isnt good enough to comprehend their complicated fast comming questions

None of my friends remember ever seeing it, but my friend has the sound that was used on GFG when the time ran out on a question (she doesnt know it though!) so it always brings me back!

Going for Gold and Fort Boyard were certainly not bad shows, they are some of my faves EVER!