Options

Do you call lunch dinner and dinner tea?

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have dinner at 1pm, and tea at about 7pm

Wasn't this subject done to death in a previous thread a few months ago ?
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote:
    Wasn't this subject done to death in a previous thread a few months ago ?
    Yes, it was. There were no sensible conclusions reached if I recall. Shock! :eek:

This thread will reach 1000 posts when Dundee_Mark et al get round to posting. ;)
  • Options
    3REs2hUp3REs2hUp Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even at school when we had the 'lunch register' every morning, and we had to shout whether we were having a school meal or a packed lunch. We'd have to shout shout 'dinner' if we were having a school meal.

They'd have liked me then. I refuse to call my lunch "dinner" because I have "dinner" at night, and I'd have told them that in no uncertain terms whether they liked it or not. So I guess I'd have had to shout "School lunch" if I was eating one of the school's lunch meals.

Anyway, after the last time wth the original thread with the same title as this one, I think I'll leave this one well alone now as to not get into any more arguments. :o;):D

But before I do, I'll just answer the thread question by saying that I have brunch at lunch time (as it's my breakfast and lunch rolled into the one meal). I have dinner at night. And tea is something I drink. To me, that's the way it always has been and always will be, but everyone's different, and different people will call their meals different things, which is fair enough. ;):)
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lunch and dinner. I don't think ever had a tea.
  • Options
    TTTVTTTV Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the wiki entry on the said subject.

Click.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always call the midday meal, lunch and my evenng meal dinner. Nearly all catering establishments refer to "lunchtime menus" I have never seen dinnertime menus advertised for midday meals,
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May I request that Stewbob and Mark from Dundee do not post in this thread.

Edit. F*ck it...too late. :eek:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dinner and tea.............

When I were nobbut a nipper we had 'school dinners'.............at midday. !!.............which we paid for with 'dinner money'.............we didn't go back to school at 6 pm for our school dinner.......... :cool:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:

It's OK.........I heard they settled their differences over lunch, erm ...........or dinner.............. :p
  • Options
    3REs2hUp3REs2hUp Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:

Don't worry Pam. As I said, I'm not going to cause any arguments. Call your meals whatever you want to. ;):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea for me.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper.

Not that I eat all of them , but if I have something at teatime then it is tea , if it is a meal later on then it is dinner. To me tea consists of sandwiches or crumpets , tea etc and is a fill me in until dinner a few hours later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, Lunch and Tea. I don't "do" dinner. :)
  • Options
    EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner for me.

When you go out for your lunch break do you call it dinner break? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esensuelle wrote:
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner for me.

When you go out for your lunch break do you call it dinner break? :confused:

Yeah...or dinner hour (even if it's not an hour long break :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm breakfast, lunch and dinner person. Tea is something I drink (rarely) except on Sundays when occasionally I have my dinner at lunch time depending what we are doing during the day.

At school though, it was always "School dinners", never "School lunches", but my mother would ask me what I had had for lunch. Daft innit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I live near Liverpool and my meals go

Breakfast, lunch, dinner/tea (interchangeable).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I say it is lunch if it is something like sandwiches, but if it is a 'cooked meal' then I'll call it dinner. Tea is always tea though, whether midday meal is lunch or dinner.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tea is something you drink out of a cup.

Lunch (1pm) and supper or dinner in the evening, are my chosen words. Nobody I know calls them anything different. Bucks is the region.
  • Options
    EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about when you're going out to a restaurant for a meal, do you still say having your tea? :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast
    Brunch
    Lunch
    Early Dinner (anything before 1800)
    Dinner
    Late Dinner (anything after 2030)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I've always reserved the word "dinner" for the main meal of the day, whatever time it is eaten.

So if the main meal is in the middle of the day and a light meal in the evening, then I'm having dinner and tea, in that order.

If the main meal is in the evening, with a light meal in the middle of the day, then it's lunch and dinner.
  • Options
    RafielRafiel Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    My other half refers to dinner (evening meal) as "supper".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this conversation last night with my girlfriend and our mates, I call it dinner at 12:00-1:00 and tea as the meal later on at like 5-6 o clock.