Why is rapist Murphy on the streets.

calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
Forum Member
✭✭
Why has this man been freed, after he served only part of his fifteen year sentence for the brutal rape and attempted murder of this woman.. he has never repented or taken any kind of counselling, so who gave the go ahead to free such an animal on the public again.. its been said he will have to be monitored , but wasnt Venebles also monitored.. I cant understand the authoriites at all..
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/rapist-murphy-gets-passport-to-flee-country-2288365.html

Comments

• timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the number of woman who went missing in Leinster when he was on the loose compared to the number when he was behind bars?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont the UK authorities have the right to refuse entry to this nasty piece of work?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Dont the UK authorities have the right to refuse entry to this nasty piece of work?.

I don't see how they could, you don't even need a passport to travel between the Rep and the UK and it isn't like the border to the north is even manned.

I presume all that will happen if he moved to the UK is he'd have to notify the Gardai where he was living and they'd notify the UK authorities who will decide if he is to be monitored or not.
  • Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    Sadly, we are now merely waiting to discover who he rapes, and possibly kills, next.

We never learn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, we are now merely waiting to discover who he rapes, and possibly kills, next.

We never learn.

How do you suggest the Irish tackle the problem?
  • sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

<Boba Fett style quiet nod of respect> :cool:
  • Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    He was convicted before the Irish equivilent of the Sex Offenders register came into being and has rather sucessfully exploited that. Being a nasty rapist doesn't stop him from getting a passport - whether he can get into the UK is another matter.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

.Larry Murphy refused counselling and yet got 5 years off for "good behaviour "
    IMO refusing the therapy should be deemed to cancel out any years off for good behaviour and therapy should be mandatory
    Not that its a guarentee he wont re offend but at least we could all rest in our beds for another five years

I see this getting into a dangerous vigilante situation in Baltinglas and as a mother of two young women who can blame people for wanting this evil scum off the our streets

I know people who know the details of his crime and its is more than horrific what he did .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although hes suspected of murdering several missing women none of that has been proven
    Therefore he served 10 years for rape which i think is higher than the uk average
    despite the fact that he was jailed before sex offender laws were inacted he will still have a dedicated garda team keeping an eye on him and stringent reporting obligations
    no its not perfect but the fact is he served time for the crime hes proved to have committed what more can the justice system do , you cant go locking people up for good cos of what you suspect they did
    I personally hate the man and believe he is capable of repeat offences but i cant see what else could be done
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes you wonder about good behaviour in prison, did he hide out of the other prisoners way or in solitary ,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see this getting into a dangerous vigilante situation in Baltinglas and as a mother of two young women who can blame people for wanting this evil scum off the our streets

His brother was breaking my heart last night saying people wouldnt believe he didnt know where murphy was going
    There is a hysterical element to whats happening in Baltinglas they were told he wasnt going there he was known to be elsewhere while they had their meeting
    yes they have a right to be worried but they know him they know what he looks like its the unsuspecting people where he settles id be worried about
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many other convicted rapists have finished their sentences recently in Ireland, or is it just the one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    How many other convicted rapists have finished their sentences recently in Ireland, or is it just the one?

I'm sure Lucem has a list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand how he won his release if he showed no remorse and refused any rehabilitaion. Sadly, until there is an overhaul of the judicial system, people will be outraged by short sentences and early releases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mabye if more of the public had emotions we wouldnt be so idiotic as allowing this evil man out to prey on other women.
    Forum Member
    Jazmine wrote: »
    I'm not a 'hang 'em high' or 'bring back corporal punishment' person but I do feel that laws need to be changed to allow more appropriate sentencing and that the judges that preside over our courts should live in the real world.

I'm firmly against the death penalty, not that it'll ever be brought back in any case (those who froth at the mouth against bringing it back are tilting at windmills).

However, I am very firmly against our continued policy of releasing serious, violent and repeat offenders after having served part of their already unduly lenient sentences.

It's apparently a very old-fashioned approach, but the lives of the innocent mean more to me than the lives of those who have shown they have no qualms about raping and murdering others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on all this is feic the judical system and feic the law and feic the do gooders and feic the human rights etc etcetc and lock Larry Murphy up till he dies .
    Larry Murphy lost all right in my eyes when he did what he did to that girl
    Forum Member
    Back on topic, what is the percentage in Ireland?

It's around 50% apparently:
    Results from a new study into the re-offending rate among prisoners indicate that just over a quarter of released prisoners are back in jail within a year, and nearly half are locked up again within four years.

The research was carried out by the Institute of Criminology at University College Dublin, which studied nearly 20,000 prisoners.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio's Morning Ireland, Paul O'Mahony, Criminologist at Trinity College Dublin, outlined some of the failings of the prison system.

Mr O'Mahony described rehabilitation programmes as being 'very poor indeed'.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1206/prison.html

I also realised I was wrong about the 37% in England & Wales, it's actually closer to 50%
    Nearly 50% of released prisoners re-offend

Prisoners serving less than a year have the highest reoffending rate
    Nearly half of prisoners released from prison go on to commit further offences, government figures indicate.

The percentage re-offending went up for the second year on a row to 49.4%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8575034.stm

So, it's 'paranoid' to be concerned about reoffending, yet 1 out of every 2 released convicts do reoffend. I see.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's around 50% apparently:

From your link:
    Sex offenders were least likely to re-offend, with only 18% of people in this category back in jail after three years.
    So, it's 'paranoid' to be concerned about reoffending, yet 1 out of every 2 released convicts do reoffend. I see.

Less than one in five sex offenders, according to your link.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if up to 50% of offenders may reoffend, what is the solution?
  • Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I amazes me that some people just can’t read between the lines.

Mr Murphy is a convicted rapist, which is bad enough. But a quick google of his name reveals that it is generally suspected that he is a serial killer, there just hasn’t been enough evidence to convict him. Either that or he lives a life dogged by the regular “unfortunate coincidence” of being in the same area as a string of “vanished” young women. Does anyone seriously believe that his victim would not have ended up dead had he not been interrupted during the commission of the crime for which he was convicted? The article itself goes as far as possible in making this accusation whilst staying just inside the libel and defamation laws.

Peter Tobin springs to mind. Three confirmed kills. A string of victims claimed. A violent sexual predator who was beyond help. Released to re-offend time and time again. Anyone who can’t see the parallels here must be either stubborn or blind. If we don’t learn the lessons of history they will be repeated.

Innocent until proven guilty. Absolutely. That is an essential part of the legal system. But it should not make us blind to the danger this guy poses to the public. He walks over the border and catches the ferry to Stranraer or Holyhead and he is at liberty in the UK. And I don’t think I am the only one who gets chills at the thought of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mr Murphy is a convicted rapist, which is bad enough. But a quick google of his name reveals that it is generally suspected that he is a serial killer, there just hasn’t been enough evidence to convict him. Either that or he lives a life dogged by the regular “unfortunate coincidence” of being in the same area as a string of “vanished” young women. Does anyone seriously believe that his victim would not have ended up dead had he not been interrupted during the commission of the crime for which he was convicted? The article itself goes as far as possible in making this accusation whilst staying just inside the libel and defamation laws.

Peter Tobin springs to mind. Three confirmed kills. A string of victims claimed. A violent sexual predator who was beyond help. Released to re-offend time and time again. Anyone who can’t see the parallels here must be either stubborn or blind. If we don’t learn the lessons of history they will be repeated.

Innocent until proven guilty. Absolutely. That is an essential part of the legal system. But it should not make us blind to the danger this guy poses to the public. He walks over the border and catches the ferry to Stranraer or Holyhead and he is at liberty in the UK. And I don’t think I am the only one who gets chills at the thought of that.

good post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree and that is why, IMO, he should be the subject of a lifetime supervision order.

Unfortunately someone on this thread is try to make it all about them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He more or less told the victim that he was going to kill her , she knew he would .We all know he would .
    Well said and good post . As I said in an earlier post , Feic the law , feic the system , feic the do gooders , and lock up this evil man before he rapes another and murders her .
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    I totally agree and that is why, IMO, he shoudl be the subject of a lifetime supervision order.

Because they work well.