Did your parents ever argue in front of you?

Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
whilst you were growing up or even now? How did you react?

Do you argue in front of your kids?

Comments

• QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What possible reason do you have for wanting to know this?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Yes all the time well not so much arguing my Dad liked to beat the hell out of my Mum on a daily bases
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    What possible reason do you have for wanting to know this?

just out of curiosity and how behaviour affects others...I was reading something which made me think....
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Erm, yes. I find it hard to believe that any parents didn't at least at some point.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    our alarm at 5.30 - 6.00 every single morning was my mother yelling and carrying on at my father whilst he was quietly going about his routine before work, and again in the evening after which it was the silent treatment interspersed with jibes and nags as the opportunity arose. i didn`t really react to it as it was normal, it`s only as an adult with children of my own that the realisation of how shit that was dawned.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    our alarm at 5.30 - 6.00 every single morning was my mother yelling and carrying on at my father whilst he was quietly going about his routine before work, and again in the evening after which it was the silent treatment interspersed with jibes and nags as the opportunity arose. i didn`t really react to it as it was normal, it`s only as an adult with children of my own that the realisation of how shit that was dawned.

It is odd when you grow up like that to me that's just what Dad's did
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum regurlary got battered to shite in front of me. From the age of 11 it would be me that adminstered first aid and called the police.
    Only for her to turn them away at the door.
    What a feckin stupid post. Have you ever been in that situation?
    I have [since my Mothers day]
    Do you have an inckling of how hard it is to escape a violent relationship?
    How terrifieying it is to live in that kind of fear.
    You certainly don't seem to have any concept of how common this situation happens.
    Please explain to me your reason for your post OP?
    I am not being confrontaional, I am genuinely interested to know what your point is?
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the time. I thought it was how families were,now I realise it was much more than normal. It left me with an aversion to conflict. Thankfully there wasn't any physical stuff.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Yeah sometimes. Just normal married couples arguments over stupid things though, nothing more.

To be fair, most times they at least closed the kitchen or living room door before having it out, unless it was one of those spur of the moment arguments.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting question OP. I don't understand the flak you are getting for asking a reasonable question on a discussion forum. However it would be better if you had answered your own question.

Yes my parents did argue in front of us but not very often. My mother didn't like conflict and my father didn't tend to argue, in that he didn't tend to repeat himself,

I didn't like it but it wasn't a major feature of my growing up,
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the yelling came from my father, lots of violence too. It was horrible. I avoid confrontation as much as possible now, makes me nauseous when I hear other people yelling in anger.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum was the yeller and thrower of things, how my dad managed to stay sane I cannot fathom, although lots of drink and drugs helped I guess. Luckily my Nan and Granddad were fantastic and took us out of the situation, when my mum and dad came to live with us again they had no choice but to quieten down as Granddad wouldn't put up with any nonsense as he called it.
    Looking back after my mum lived with us before she died I realised she couldn't help herself and had some sort of mental problem. Possibly bi polar but was never diagnosed back in those days.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never. If voices were ever raised it wasn't done when we were around. I never witnessed more than a bit of minor bickering.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Yes all the time well not so much arguing my Dad liked to beat the hell out of my Mum on a daily bases
    You had a rotten childhood James, I hope life is easier for you now. I was thinking of you on Christmas Eve, being Santa for your brother. A bad childhood hasn't made you a bad person :)
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had a rotten childhood James, I hope life is easier for you now. I was thinking of you on Christmas Eve, being Santa for your brother. A bad childhood hasn't made you a bad person :)

James seems like a great person, going by his posts on here :)
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    they argued but there was never any violence, cant remembered how i reacted if it was in front of me
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only in a very polite middle class way. More of a discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    My Mum regurlary got battered to shite in front of me. From the age of 11 it would be me that adminstered first aid and called the police.
    Only for her to turn them away at the door.
    What a feckin stupid post. Have you ever been in that situation?
    I have [since my Mothers day]
    Do you have an inckling of how hard it is to escape a violent relationship?
    How terrifieying it is to live in that kind of fear.
    You certainly don't seem to have any concept of how common this situation happens.
    Please explain to me your reason for your post OP?
    I am not being confrontaional, I am genuinely interested to know what your point is?

You lashing out obviously shows you were deeply affected by it but yeah you are being aggressive. Learn how to empathise with people because you're not the only one thats been through it and it doesn't give you a right to have a go at people because you're hurt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Interesting question OP. I don't understand the flak you are getting for asking a reasonable question on a discussion forum. However it would be better if you had answered your own question.

Yes my parents did argue in front of us but not very often. My mother didn't like conflict and my father didn't tend to argue, in that he didn't tend to repeat himself,

I didn't like it but it wasn't a major feature of my growing up,

I think for some this thread triggers those things that their mind has learnt to forget. So I apologise for that. The flak never bothers me to be honest because its just people lashing out for the hurt that caused them grief. I'm sure everybody has something that makes them feel uncomfortable.

My parents like most couples did have rows. It was weird seeing them argue and next minute they're normal...just verbal stuff. But I was reading a case study about it and it bothered me especially since I work with kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never. If voices were ever raised it wasn't done when we were around. I never witnessed more than a bit of minor bickering.

Thats good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that. Reminds me of the movie provoked.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents argued all of the time in front of me, then I saw my dad beat my mum when I was about 5/6. They divorced soon after thankfully.
  • CarrieBradshawCarrieBradshaw Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    I think for some this thread triggers those things that their mind has learnt to forget. So I apologise for that. The flak never bothers me to be honest because its just people lashing out for the hurt that caused them grief. I'm sure everybody has something that makes them feel uncomfortable.

My parents like most couples did have rows. It was weird seeing them argue and next minute they're normal...just verbal stuff. But I was reading a case study about it and it bothered me especially since I work with kids.

Is the case study online?
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    whilst you were growing up or even now? How did you react?

Do you argue in front of your kids?

Yes they did.
    That would be the very normal people who raised me.
    I didn't particularly like it, but I also saw them resolving their issues and being ok later on.

Yes it's ok to have an argument in front of the children.

You also have to make sure those little angels. that you love so much, are not the next recruits for the new Omen movie 2015 and are not playing you like a play station sims game.

However if you suck as parents do drugs and smoke and drink like you don't care, Then up yours and stick the kids on ebay, they'd have a better chance in life.