Tired of the London life

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I grew up in West London, went to university in Nottingham, and worked there for 2 years after I graduated. I moved down to London early this year as my family and friends are based here and I started to miss the 'London lifestyle' and thought I should be down here in my 20's. After a year, I'm over it. Travel difficulties, silly rent prices, crowds everywhere...

I'll miss the nightlife and the entertainment, but I am more of an introvert than I thought. I'd much rather be spending my life somewhere quiet, less traffic, lots of nature etc. It will be difficult without my family and friends, but I am quite different to most of them. They thrive in this environment. Any recommendations?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    how rural do you want to be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how rural do you want to be?
    I suppose I do like cities. Nottingham was nice because I lived a bit outside of the city centre.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I do like cities. Nottingham was nice because I lived a bit outside of the city centre.

It would be a good start seeing as you know the place and I'm assuming you have friends there too? It's not that far from London if you wanted to pop down and visit friends and family.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in West London, went to university in Nottingham, and worked there for 2 years after I graduated. I moved down to London early this year as my family and friends are based here and I started to miss the 'London lifestyle' and thought I should be down here in my 20's. After a year, I'm over it. Travel difficulties, silly rent prices, crowds everywhere...

I'll miss the nightlife and the entertainment, but I am more of an introvert than I thought. I'd much rather be spending my life somewhere quiet, less traffic, lots of nature etc. It will be difficult without my family and friends, but I am quite different to most of them. They thrive in this environment. Any recommendations?

Know how you feel OP.
    I am currently in the process of moving out of West London to the South Coast, in a lovely country village! Although I have a feeling I'm a lot older than you, the traffic, the noisy neighbours, the hum drum trek to work and back every day, office politics, aircraft noise etc. etc. just got to me and I woke up one day and thought "sod it"...

I've managed to buy a bigger house in a lovely area with a tiny tiny mortgage.

Best idea I've ever had and cant wait to get out of the Rat Race!
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

Perhaps try living a little further away from London like in Bucks or Herts. You can have the best of both worlds then.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We moved out of London down to the coast. Biggest mistake, we now want to move back but cant afford it, we were looking to buy but 3 houses have fallen through in the past year and we are now probably completely priced out.

People are very different out of London, its a smaller outlook, less diverse, less resources, less cosmopolitan.

You need to think about where you would work. My OH has not been able to find a job where we live and transport is very poor and expensive, so still travels into central London which means we are paying the equivalent of a second mortgage on commuting, plus the time it takes him.

Yes we have a nice house and the area is lovely but I miss London and it will always be my home. I would advise anyone to think very carefully and really wouldnt recommend it if you are a born and bred Londoner.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Bristol!! :D All the nightlife of London, if you want it, a great summer festival scene, cheaper rents, on the doorstep of Bath, Somerset and the Westcountry, Wales or the Costswolds if you prefer, plenty of good jobs, lots of history. You can be as introvert or as extrovert as you like, and the weather is largely like that of London.
    Oh, and when the GWML electrification is complete in 2017, it will be about 80 minutes from Paddington!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    We moved out of London down to the coast. Biggest mistake, we now want to move back but cant afford it, we were looking to buy but 3 houses have fallen through in the past year and we are now probably completely priced out.

People are very different out of London, its a smaller outlook, less diverse, less resources, less cosmopolitan.

You need to think about where you would work. My OH has not been able to find a job where we live and transport is very poor and expensive, so still travels into central London which means we are paying the equivalent of a second mortgage on commuting, plus the time it takes him.

Yes we have a nice house and the area is lovely but I miss London and it will always be my home. I would advise anyone to think very carefully and really wouldnt recommend it if you are a born and bred Londoner.

I think you have to be careful, as this post highlights. If your career is tightly linked with London, then you need to make sure you can find a job in your chosen new hometown/city first. I can't believe there is ever going to be a good work/life balance if you have to spend 90mins+ a day commuting back into and out of the big smoke.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been to London once, in 2008 for a long weekend, and the place fascinates me. I love any show on the TV that's set in London. New Tricks is good because they're all over the city. It just seems a really cosmopolitan, vibrant place that could probably survive on its own as a city state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I've only been to London once, in 2008 for a long weekend, and the place fascinates me. I love any show on the TV that's set in London. New Tricks is good because they're all over the city. It just seems a really cosmopolitan, vibrant place that could probably survive on its own as a city state.

Visiting London once in 2008 is very different to actually living and working there.

I've lived here for about 40 years and I've had enough. For younger people, it might suit.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I empathise with anyone who wants to leave London. The rat race isn't fun if you aren't near the front.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Bristol!! :D All the nightlife of London, if you want it, a great summer festival scene, cheaper rents, on the doorstep of Bath, Somerset and the Westcountry, Wales or the Costswolds if you prefer, plenty of good jobs, lots of history. You can be as introvert or as extrovert as you like, and the weather is largely like that of London.
    Oh, and when the GWML electrification is complete in 2017, it will be about 80 minutes from Paddington!

I recommend Bristol too. I work in Bristol at the moment, but don't live there yet. I'm over the bridge in Wales but it's easy to travel over to Wales and there are good transport links to get to different, quieter places.

I think it's a really nice place, you'd still get the City life of London, plenty of shops and bars, and there's a good music scene. But it can be quiet if you want it to be.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bristol's an unremarkable city, but in a way that's probably what makes it fine to live in.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did the same as you 14 years ago I moved to the coast. Although I love it here I do still commute to London and yes the cost of the commute is more than the mortgage I use to pay. Have looked to work locally but the jobs available are all near minimum wage, sound dull and there is a lot of competition.

Due to a change in my circumstances I would love now to move back toLondon but cant afford to without a massive drop in life style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the same as you 14 years ago I moved to the coast. Although I love it here I do still commute to London and yes the cost of the commute is more than the mortgage I use to pay. Have looked to work locally but the jobs available are all near minimum wage, sound dull and there is a lot of competition.

Due to a change in my circumstances I would love now to move back toLondon but cant afford to without a massive drop in life style.

Can I ask why you didnt look into the job market before you moved?

I've looked into the job market thoroughally before I move and am fairly confident that I will find something. I'm lucky in that my mortgage will be so small so the pressure for me is off slightly. Plus, I dont want another "corporate" job.....
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in London for 40 years. I now live in North Herts (Hitchin) and I love it. Its only a short drive to London, so near if you like to visit. Its rural, its friendly, very up to date.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member

Can't you just move out a bit?

I'm not in London but can be there in 17 minutes and I love that. I can also be in countryside in 20 minutes and the coast in an hour or so. I'm south east of London/North Kent.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Know how you feel OP.
    I am currently in the process of moving out of West London to the South Coast, in a lovely country village! Although I have a feeling I'm a lot older than you, the traffic, the noisy neighbours, the hum drum trek to work and back every day, office politics, aircraft noise etc. etc. just got to me and I woke up one day and thought "sod it"...

I've managed to buy a bigger house in a lovely area with a tiny tiny mortgage.

Best idea I've ever had and cant wait to get out of the Rat Race!
    That sounds like a fabulous lifestyle change, I wish you well and every happiness for 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like a fabulous lifestyle change, I wish you well and every happiness for 2015.

Thank you. That's very kind of you. :)
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Any recommendations?

Haddenham in Buckinghamshire?

Fast train takes just 35 minutes to Marylebone. I live in Oxford and commute into London by that route. I can leave my house in Oxford at 07:25 in the morning, drive to Haddenham & Thame Parkway and be outside Marylebone Station by 08:30.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I live in a small town on the edge of the Cotswolds and really don't like it. I've never been a country person (even a town just feels too rural for me). I only stay here because I'm only 10-15 minutes away from work. Getting anywhere civilised is difficult though. Hourly (at best) bus or train journeys don't exactly make going out much fun and taxi fares out here are really expensive as well.

I do spend around 3 months in The Hague each year. That's a much better place to live and I'm considering moving there permanently. There or maybe another large Dutch city, like Amsterdam maybe.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Such good advice and so true :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I live in London, Docklands to be be precise (it is shown always on The Apprentice).

I could never move away from it; I mean the long river walks in the summer, take our boat out with the family, got Greenwich 15 minutes walk away via the foot-tunnel, the Emirates Cable Car, the O2 Arena on the other side, got the Olympic Park and Shoreditch short distance away, then there's the huge developments both in Docklands/Canningtown/Silvertown and the areas are constantly changing and reaching for the skies.

My wife is from American, from Michigan and she is a country girl at heart. She has tried to make me move but I am a city boy and noway could live 12 months a year in the country life, best I could do is spend 3 months there then we'd run back to London.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give me suburbia anyday.

The countryside is for cows.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Can't you just move out a bit?

I'm not in London but can be there in 17 minutes and I love that. I can also be in countryside in 20 minutes and the coast in an hour or so. I'm south east of London/North Kent.

Maybe we were near neighbours Safi.
    About three years into a heavy relationship when I was around 34 or 35 I bought a house in Welling, Kent, moving out from Plaistow, E. London.
    It took me around five to six months to realise that I'd made a mistake.
    I was a black cab driver, and I worked days, leaving home in Plaistow around 08.30 - 09.00, and getting back to my place around 16.30 - 17.00.
    From Welling it was taking me about 45 to 50 minutes to get into the action, and look for a fare, and about the same to get back home.
    I had little option but to adjust my working day, so I'd leave around 12.00 to 12.30 then head for Welling sometime after 21.00 - 21.30.
    Fortunately, as a black cab driver, I could do that, but my inamorata was less than happy at taking the 08.10 to Charing X while I was gently snoring with a Cheshire Cat grin, then getting home just before 18.00, waiting for me to arrive at 22.00 or later.
    Seeing the relationship beginning it's inevitable downhill spiral, I sold at a more than fair profit and just scraped in before the house price boom by buying a 3 bed. house in Rotherhithe SE16 for a mere bagatelle.
    I could then resume civilised working hours, plus I had a bunch of good pubs within a ten minute walk.
    My immediate neighbour put her place, identical to mine, on the market for £1.25m six weeks ago, and settled for £1.15m for a quick sale, as she'd bought a place in the Lake District.
    I've quit driving a black cab now, and eventually I'll probably go across La Manche, buy a place halfway between Lille and Paris and sit at le zinc in un bistro, slowly but surely destroying my liver with Armagnac, if I can just get my beautiful wife to speak better French!