Extra time in exams

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I'm at college doing an Access to HE diploma and I have an exam in January. Without going into too much detail, I have a couple of illnesses that cause me physical problems, as well as concentration issues. I got told I could have 25% extra time in my exam. I said this was pointless because there's no way I can grip a pen for that long. College agreed I could use my laptop but I'm not allowed extra time. I don't quite understand why I can't have the extra time too. I still at a disadvantage, even when using a laptop, and would like to think they'd judge each case on it's own merits. I don't even know if I can type consistently for an hour without a break.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a letter from your doctor confirming your need for extra time and the laptop?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your college require you to have a medical letter advising them of what you need? They ought to and if they do then it depends on what was advised. If it says that you write slowly so need extra time then if you use a computer that need is gone. If the medical evidence said that you need extra time for other reasons, maybe tiredness say, then you should still have the extra time as the tiredness will still be there.

If the college doesn't have medical evidence for you then it's up to them and you need to make a case or get a doctor to write a letter saying that you need extra time with the laptop.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I have a letter, clearly outlining my diagnosis and the problems it causes me. I gave it to them when I started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the letter doesn't say explicitly that you need extra time and a computer then they can do what they like. That was the case where I worked anyway. Maybe you could get your GP to give you such a letter in time for the exam.
    Forum Member
    If the letter doesn't say explicitly that you need extra time and a computer then they can do what they like. That was the case where I worked anyway. Maybe you could get your GP to give you such a letter in time for the exam.

Really?! I did not know that. I'm sure my GP would write me a letter but I'm not seeing my consultant again before my exam.
    Forum Member
    I had a Maths exam today and wasn't allowed extra time. :mad: My teacher said that she knew nothing of my condition but before my last exam, my tutor emailed her saying I was allowed extra time in Maths exams. In September, she happily allowed me the extra time but today, she conveniently 'forgot'. (She got to go home as soon as we all finished. :rolleyes:)
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't people who get extra time start the exam early rather than later? Every school I've worked in / attended did it that way, so catching the bus home wouldn't be an issue.
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Don't people who get extra time start the exam early rather than later? Every school I've worked in / attended did it that way, so catching the bus home wouldn't be an issue.

Nope, I've always started at the same time and finished later.

I spoke to student services and they've referred me to learning support and agreed I can have extra time and use my laptop if needed. My college hadn't registered me as requiring special needs, even though it very clearly stated on my application form. They have apologised for the misunderstanding and said it will be sorted by my next exam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Nope, I've always started at the same time and finished later.

I spoke to student services and they've referred me to learning support and agreed I can have extra time and use my laptop if needed. My college hadn't registered me as requiring special needs, even though it very clearly stated on my application form. They have apologised for the misunderstanding and said it will be sorted by my next exam.

You could also look on the web site of the relevant examining body to see their policy on special needs.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »

Due to the rules around exams, that probably isn't a good idea.

The exam start times are quite fixed (for national qualifications like GCSEs and A Levels) so that it's harder for people to cheat.

If people were able to enter/leave an exam at different times then people might be able to share questions/answers.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP is it possible you could have a scribe I work with a young man who has funding for a scribe to write for him in exams.