Options

Stars seen from Earth

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it possible to see stars from earth, because I have just at this moment seen a star from my window and I'm wondering is it something else like a planet or a satellite?

Comments

• Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear god, what do they teach them in schools these days? Yes it could be a planet yes it could be satellite but no its probably only a star.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know the kids have broke up yet
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    You can see a star quite easily during the day too (if there are no clouds).
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Is it possible to see stars from earth, because I have just at this moment seen a star from my window and I'm wondering is it something else like a planet or a satellite?

Way too obvious.

1/10, and that's only because I replied.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you not sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' in your primary school?
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Well, I don't think it's a spark of intelligence.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

You can't be serious? :confused:
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wind up or just thick as shit. I'm going for both.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Way too obvious.

1/10, and that's only because I replied.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Oh very dear. :cool:
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear god, what do they teach them in schools these days? Yes it could be a planet yes it could be satellite but no its probably only a star.

To be fair, with all the light pollution in towns and cities today, it's no wonder fewer children look up at the night sky..

The difference in what you see in the countryside - where there's far less light pollution - is remarkable..
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear god, what do they teach them in schools these days?
    The OP's profile states he's 40, so I'm going with a shit wind up thread.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    To be fair, with all the light pollution in towns and cities today, it's no wonder fewer children look up at the night sky..

The difference in what you see in the countryside - where there's far less light pollution - is remarkable..

...to also be fair - I live in a town (ok, its not heavily built up but its certainly not in the country side) and can see loads of stars from my back garden! 'Orion's Belt' is directly over my house!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as many as we could if we did not have light pollution. Sad really.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What you're seeing could be any of the things you've mentioned. I would say it's most likely the light from a star though. The light from one will have travelled for thousands, maybe millions of years to get here.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not as many as we could if we did not have light pollution. Sad really.

The moors come in handy for getting away from that.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    The OP's profile states he's 40, so I'm going with a shit wind up thread.

Are you sure it doesn't say 4.0 :D
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »

That's true, I remember being in a remote Ukrainian village and there was a vast difference between what you could see from there and a town or city, lots of very dim stars which you wouldn't see in an urban area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At that time of night you may of seen Jupiter, OP. It's quite bright at the moment and will be getting nearer, very easy to spot with the naked eye. Get some good binoculars and you'll be able to see the moons too.

Although, my bet is that you probably saw either Arcturus, Sirius, Capella, Rigel or Betelgeuse............................ or the moon. :p
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think that when astronauts first went into orbit they said 'its full of stars'?
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously a UFO, psychically piloted by Jesus while passing through a time rift.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

John McEnroe??
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

You cannot be Sirius
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    There's no such thing as stars anyway. They're just the holes in the sky where rain gets in.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me to have a word with God about this universe's AI - it's knackered.