Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, The World's End

Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
Forum Member
It's out soon, if it isn't out already, and I'm confused by something (and I'd love for someone to explain it to me).

All the reviews and previews, interviews etc keep calling this the third film in the Cornetto Trilogy. The third film that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have worked in together. That's great and all, except it isn't the third.

We had Shaun of the Dead, then Hot Fuzz, and then Paul. Surely Paul should be the third film in this trilogy, with The World's End being the 4th?

What am I missing?

Comments

• PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's simon pegg, nick frost and director edgar wright.. paul was nothing to do with him, just simon pegg and nick frost
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the cornetto trilogy were all written by pegg and wright (and frost co-starred). paul was written by pegg and frost and directed by greg mottola
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Ah I see, so it's partially about the director.

Cheers for the info though. Now I know. :)
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I always thought of them as been the cornetto trilogy as they were set in England and always had cornetto jokes in them, had a certain feel and atmosphere about them. Whereas Paul was entirely different in tone, was set in America and I don't remember a cornetto joke.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Film critic Boyd Hilton has put on twitter that reviews for The Worlds End are embargoed till Monday!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Film critic Boyd Hilton has put on twitter that reviews for The Worlds End are embargoed till Monday!

It'll be interesting to see what the critics say about this one. I can't say I was overly impressed by the long trailer I saw at the cinema though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who is a big big fan of Shaun and Fuzz I'm still skeptical of The World's End. There is just something off in tone IMO. Then again I imagine if I watched the Shaun and Fuzz trailers they would be nothing like the film as for me its the hidden jokes and details in the films that make them so good. The comedy only works in the films and not when you just watch clips IMO.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you liked Hot Fuzz and Shaun/Dead, check out Spaced, the earlier sitcom from Ch4 that was written by Pegg and Edgar Wright with Nick Frost. Jessica Stevenson was hilarious in it.
    Was so in love with that show at the time.

Never thought was that good at all, mainly because of Edgar Wright not being involved.

Can't wait for this new film :)
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    It's out soon, if it isn't out already, and I'm confused by something (and I'd love for someone to explain it to me).

All the reviews and previews, interviews etc keep calling this the third film in the Cornetto Trilogy. The third film that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have worked in together. That's great and all, except it isn't the third.

We had Shaun of the Dead, then Hot Fuzz, and then Paul. Surely Paul should be the third film in this trilogy, with The World's End being the 4th?

What am I missing?

Except it is the third.

How many Cornetto's were consumed in Paul?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

£125 :eek:, no thanks, I would rather wait till the film comes out on the 19th July. :p
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £125 :eek:, no thanks, I would rather wait till the film comes out on the 19th July. :p

It's all for charity though
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early reviews are out for The World's End and by all accounts it's another winner. Very positive indeed.

Pegg, Frost and Wright have come up trumps again. Nice!
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah it seems to be getting very good reviews.Empire have given it 4 out of 5
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to see it, big fan of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz hopefully this will be another winner.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I see from the trailer that some gags are being re-used for this film - the fence joke, the fighting in pubs jokes....
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I see from the trailer that some gags are being re-used for this film - the fence joke, the fighting in pubs jokes....

You have to have the fence joke. :D

Ditto the lines "Want anything from the shop?"

"Cornetto"
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Hot Fuzz is on ITV on Saturday night at 10.50. Was going to watch it but notice it finishes at 12.55. According to IMDB the film runs for 2 hours so unless ITV are only showing 5 mins of ads then will it be hacked to ribbons? I know ITV are well known for this but I thought a film like this in a late night slot would be shown uncut. But usually you can add 15 mins for ads so it should finish at 1.05. Anyone seen Hot Fuzz on ITV or ITV2 before and know if it is edited? By the way Shaun Of The Dead is on ITV2 tomorrow at 9 as well.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even look at Nick Frost without feeling that I want to clean my teeth and have a bath.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Hot Fuzz is on ITV on Saturday night at 10.50. Was going to watch it but notice it finishes at 12.55. According to IMDB the film runs for 2 hours so unless ITV are only showing 5 mins of ads then will it be hacked to ribbons? I know ITV are well known for this but I thought a film like this in a late night slot would be shown uncut. But usually you can add 15 mins for ads so it should finish at 1.05. Anyone seen Hot Fuzz on ITV or ITV2 before and know if it is edited? By the way Shaun Of The Dead is on ITV2 tomorrow at 9 as well.

According to the uk dvd Hot Fuzz is 1hr 56 min so 9 mins for adverts.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    According to the uk dvd Hot Fuzz is 1hr 56 min so 9 mins for adverts.

Could be uncut then. I have noticed that late night films on ITV have less ad breaks. Mind you just noticed that its on Netflix and shows as 120 mins on there. Not in HD though. Shaun Of The Dead is also on there in HD and 5.1 sound. So will not bother with ITV2 screening tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It feels almost unpatriotic to knock a Pegg/Frost/Wright film but this one is a little underwhelming and the weakest of the trilogy.

Sure there are some nice, throw away one-liners, but the story is just a little too similar to Shaun, with robots replacing zombies.

Much of the comedy is also relied on Pegg to carry, which comes across as a big ask. It's great to see Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan in something like this, but they are a little out of their depths with this style of comedy.

Certainly not as strong as it could have been, but probably does just enough in the laughs dept. to keep fans happy.

Review here.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this today.
    Feel disappointed!! No were near as good as the other 2 films.
    Some aspects I liked, the rest I didn't like
    loved the first half of the movie, liked where it was going, the comedy and originally the characters. But it all changed in second half
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Better then I thought it would be, but it did loose it's way by the end.

7/10
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I always thought of them as been the cornetto trilogy as they were set in England and always had cornetto jokes in them, had a certain feel and atmosphere about them. Whereas Paul was entirely different in tone, was set in America and I don't remember a cornetto joke.

Yet still both embarrassingly unfunny .