Help! Possible dodgy laptop

Hi :)

I recently bought a second-hand Acer Aspire 5742 off eBay from a seller who had a very high positive feedback rating. I've been using it today to try and install things, and for no reason at all, it shuts itself down after about half-an-hour, though sometimes in less time than this. Now I don't mean it Hibernates or Sleeps - I mean literally just turns itself off, without warning. I've checked all the power plans in the Control Panel and it's nothing to do with them.

I've asked the seller for advice but he won't get back to me. I'm stumped. Either way this does not sound good. :(

Comments

• 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »

I recently bought a second-hand Acer Aspire 5742 off eBay from a seller who had a very high positive feedback rating. I've been using it today to try and install things, and for no reason at all, it shuts itself down after about half-an-hour, though sometimes in less time than this. Now I don't mean it Hibernates or Sleeps - I mean literally just turns itself off, without warning. I've checked all the power plans in the Control Panel and it's nothing to do with them.

I've asked the seller for advice but he won't get back to me. I'm stumped. Either way this does not sound good. :(
    Check and see if the fan is turning on, if not it could be clogged up with dirt, what you are describing sounds like a heating issue, the processor heating up too much and when it reaches a certain temp it will shut down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2000motels wrote: »
    Check and see if the fan is turning on, if not it could be clogged up with dirt, what you are describing sounds like a heating issue, the processor heating up too much and when it reaches a certain temp it will shut down.

Thanks, it could well be that you know. The front of the laptop gets very warm very quickly. How do I check if the fan is turning on though, I don't know where it is to be honest.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, it could well be that you know. The front of the laptop gets very warm very quickly. How do I check if the fan is turning on though, I don't know where it is to be honest.
    It's in the left hand corner under the keyboard. Turn it on and listen you should hear it if it turns on, if not you'll have to open it up.
    Forum Member
    Here's a link to a video to open up your laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk65lnGnWUc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks I'll look into those things.

I've just turned it off after an hour and it's been fine, but the underside is very, very hot. :(
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has the seller got a returns policy? How long ago did you buy it?
    Forum Member
    Thanks I'll look into those things.

I've just turned it off after an hour and it's been fine, but the underside is very, very hot. :(
    It shouldn't be that hot. Run Speccy and it should give you the temp of motherboard and cpu.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Has the seller got a returns policy? How long ago did you buy it?

Shouldn't matter if they have a returns policy or not. If this problem wasn't mentioned in the description (i.e. it was described as in full working order) and the seller has gone quiet then the buyer could just open a SNAD case for a refund, as long as it's not longer than 45 days (I think) since it was bought.

In this instance, I'd just be wanting to return it for a refund rather than trying to mess about and fix it.