Options

Best cat litter

SirPsychoSexySirPsychoSexy Posts: 1,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have 3 cats & they use 2 litter trays, one more than the other, and I use catsan. Now obviously this is probably the most expensive on the market.
I was wondering if there are any other alternatives that are just as good as the non clumping catsan, but cheaper?
TIA

Comments

• Options
    Susie_SmithSusie_Smith Posts: 7,532
    Forum Member
    I would also like to know this. We hate clumping cat litter, and Catsan seems to be quite good at not smelling too bad.

The problem with the Catsan is that it seems to stick to their paws and they leave little bits all over the hallway.

The wood pellet stuff seems quite good, but not much cheaper.
  • Options
    SirPsychoSexySirPsychoSexy Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the Catsan is that it seems to stick to their paws and they leave little bits all over the hallway.

This is also a problem for me as well.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    We use 'Odour Control' cat litter from Sainsburys, IMO as good as Catsan but a good bit cheaper at about £4.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently started buying Golden Grey litter. It is a fine powder clumping one. The "wet deposits" dry to a smaller lump than most other litters and are easy to remove. It is scented with baby powder which is a little unusual. It is a bit pricey but it seems to last quite a long time so I think it works out cheaper in the long run. It is about £20.00 for 28kg. Keeps the good ole cat wee smell to a minimum too. Does not seem to stick to the cats paws too much either. Use to buy Catsan but our two mogs trod it all over the place.

I would say Golden Grey is the best cat litter we have used and we have had cats for almost 40 years.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/golden_grey
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    It can depend on the cats some are funny about litter, mine use Verdo horse bedding which is just wood pellets but it is cheap as I have four litter trays and fully wash and change them twice a week and top them up on removals.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We used to use the Sainsbury's basic and Tesco Value cat litter and changed it a couple of times a week. No point spending a small fortune on something like cat litter.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    We used to use the Sainsbury's basic and Tesco Value cat litter and changed it a couple of times a week. No point spending a small fortune on something like cat litter.

This ^^... Sainsbury's basic £1.50 for 10 litres (10 whatever the measurement is that's the standard litter size). Fine for smell and a little bit of clump, line the tray with a newspaper to.

Found Tesco value utterly unabsorbant in comparison, more smelly.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use this one and find my cats are fine with it and the smell is ok. warm weather I do change it more often as you just need to but in general it lasts well

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Sanicat-Aloe-Vera-7-Days-Non-clumping-Cat-Litter/75922011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=sanicat&parentContainer=SEARCH_ADS

I ran out the other day so bought some soft wood pellet style stuff from Sainsbury for emergency use and one of the cats refused to use it and peed on the rug
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Bob Martin clumping cat litter. I like the clumping kind because it saves on having to empty the litter tray entirely. Poop and pee just gets scooped out daily and litter topped up. It's cheap as well, 10kg bag for under £4.
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 cats & they use 2 litter trays, one more than the other, and I use catsan. Now obviously this is probably the most expensive on the market.
    I was wondering if there are any other alternatives that are just as good as the non clumping catsan, but cheaper?
    TIA
    I started using the Asda wood pellets several years ago, you only need a slight covering in the litter tray, & they also smell quite nice too. I would never go back to the other cat litter. It's really messy & clumps like wet cement, you also end up with cat paw prints all over the house.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Nodger wrote: »
    This ^^... Sainsbury's basic £1.50 for 10 litres (10 whatever the measurement is that's the standard litter size). Fine for smell and a little bit of clump, line the tray with a newspaper to.

Found Tesco value utterly unabsorbant in comparison, more smelly.

Top tip of the day folks!:)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    I've started using Bob Martin Felight Lightweight Antibac litter, good quality stuff and about £4 a bag from Asda. A little goes a long way because it seems to absorb liquid like magic, and no smell. Also I got fed up lugging heavy bags.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi's clumping - £1.55 a bag and works a treat on the smells
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Catsan. I don't like clumping litter at all.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catsan.

She wouldn't put up with anything else. ;-)
  • Options
    firegoddess666firegoddess666 Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    You can get a big bag of wood pellet litter from B&M for about a tenner. I have 4 cats and 6 litters so I can't go for very expensive but the cats seem to like it