Options

BT introduce additional Youview 'Extra Box' option

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6475-bt-introduce-additional-youview-extra-box-option.html
BT TV customers can now add an additional YouView box to their BT TV package allowing them to watch in multiple rooms at the same time. This has been a feature of the standard pay-TV services for some time with both Sky and Virgin offering multi-room options. The extra box will allow you to watch and pause both live and catch-up TV as well as access all your existing content with one exception of Sky Movies.

The extra box is limited to one per household and you need to have a broadband speed greater than 34Mbps. This means that you must be a BT Infinity customer to be able to get one. A minimum 12-month subscription applies and is charged at £5 per month with a £99 one-of cost. This compares favourably to Sky who charge £11.25 per month for an extra box, although a non-recording Sky Multiroom HD box does not incur any one off fees. Virgin charge £6.50 per month for a non-recording box and an extra £5 a month for a TiVo, with a £49.95 or £99.95 activation fee depending on the recording capacity.

I will not be getting an extra box from BT at those charges. I will just keep using my rail Youview box as my second box like some others are doing.
Also when my contract is up for renewal near the end of the year I will see if BT will give me there new G4 box then I will still have to Youview boxes I can use in the house and will give the retail Youview box to my sister.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6475-bt-introduce-additional-youview-extra-box-option.html
    BT TV customers can now add an additional YouView box to their BT TV package allowing them to watch in multiple rooms at the same time. This has been a feature of the standard pay-TV services for some time with both Sky and Virgin offering multi-room options. The extra box will allow you to watch and pause both live and catch-up TV as well as access all your existing content with one exception of Sky Movies.

The extra box is limited to one per household and you need to have a broadband speed greater than 34Mbps. This means that you must be a BT Infinity customer to be able to get one. A minimum 12-month subscription applies and is charged at £5 per month with a £99 one-of cost. This compares favourably to Sky who charge £11.25 per month for an extra box, although a non-recording Sky Multiroom HD box does not incur any one off fees. Virgin charge £6.50 per month for a non-recording box and an extra £5 a month for a TiVo, with a £49.95 or £99.95 activation fee depending on the recording capacity.

I will not be getting an extra box from BT at those charges. I will just keep using my rail Youview box as my second box like some others are doing.
    Also when my contract is up for renewal near the end of the year I will see if BT will give me there new G4 box then I will still have to Youview boxes I can use in the house and will give the retail Youview box to my sister.

Darren

ive just also seen this news on there and come here to see if anyone had posted and found yours.

Im half expecting to find a £5 charge on my next bill seen as ive been using a second box free since getting BT YV, I dont get why people would pay BT £99 + £5pm when you can get a second hand box from places like cash converters and ebay for less that £100 and have the multi room for no monthly cost (well providing BT dont detect the second box and auto add the £5 lol)

Ash
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ash45 wrote: »
    ive just also seen this news on there and come here to see if anyone had posted and found yours.

Im half expecting to find a £5 charge on my next bill seen as ive been using a second box free since getting BT YV, I dont get why people would pay BT £99 + £5pm when you can get a second hand box from places like cash converters and ebay for less that £100 and have the multi room for no monthly cost (well providing BT dont detect the second box and auto add the £5 lol)

Ash

I agree with you about the second box.
    I will as said keep using my retail Youview box as the second box for multi room as long as it keeps working.
    No need for £99 for second box and £5 a month free.

Darren
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Some Q&A's here on multi room .. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48891
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »

quite like fact 14
    14: I have a YouView box from the high street, can I use this as my Extra Box?
    No, Extra Box is only available with YouView+ boxes supplied by BT, so you'll receive a new YouView+ box and an additional box for £99 when you take an Extra Box subscription for £5 per month.

There going to say that arnt they to make sure they get their revenue lol as we all know it dose indeed work fine, all my channels + HD + ondemand work fine with my second box and its a talktalk branded one picked up for £30 only thing that dont work is recording on IP channels but that's only because TT have not enabled it in the firmware yet

Ash
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have just got BT infinity & TV service (BT sports & kids package).

If I pick up a second you view box on Ebay (about £100 for the dtr-t2100), can anyone confirm what I can and can't do with it. I don't really want to pay BT an extra £5/month.

Will I be able to watch BT sports & kids packages on it?

Rent movies?

Control recordings on it from the you view app (I can't see how I could add a second box to the app)?

Is there a better option (Humax box?)?

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syrup1971 wrote: »

If I pick up a second you view box on Ebay (about £100 for the dtr-t2100), can anyone confirm what I can and can't do with it. I don't really want to pay BT an extra £5/month.

Rent movies?

Control recordings on it from the you view app (I can't see how I could add a second box to the app)?

Thanks

I have a almost 2 year old retail Youview box im my bedroom and a nearly 6 month old BTYouview box from BT in my living room and I get the same BT services on both boxes. EG the entertainment extra channels., HD extra bolt on. BT film/box sets, BT music and free BT sport.
    So what ever BT service you get should be on the retail box also.
    The Youview app will only work on one box. I got my Youview app set to the retail box in my bedroom. My sister who don't have BT TV in her house got her Youview app set to thre BT Youview box in my living room.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    syrup1971 wrote: »

Rent movies?

Thanks

i can also confirm that i get every single thing on my second box that i get on my BT supplied box (except for recording my second box is a ex talktalk box from cash generator for £40 and talktalk have not enabled recording on their boxes yet), If you get a second hand BT box or a retail box as your second then recording should work just as well as it dose on your BT supplied one,

youview are working on an update for the app so we might finally see multibox support like the sky+ app added

But to sum up yes all live/ondemand/rentals will work on your second box

Ash
  • Options
    scointerscointer Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as a word of caution..just because the second box works now without multiroom subscription don't assume that will always be the case...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scointer wrote: »
    Just as a word of caution..just because the second box works now without multiroom subscription don't assume that will always be the case...

You have said this before but so far a second box still works fine. So until things charge people are going to keep on using anretail box as there multi room box.
    Its like thing BT are going to stop people using a retail box as there multi room box and that the likes of me and others should end up having to pay a one off rip of £99 for a second box then £5 a month for multi room.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    You have said this before but so far a second box still works fine. So until things charge people are going to keep on using anretail box as there multi room box.
    Its like thing BT are going to stop people using a retail box as there multi room box and that the likes of me and others should end up having to pay a one off rip of £99 for a second box then £5 a month for multi room.

Darren

I totally agree and I am not saying it will change but if others charge extra for multi room why shouldn't BT and I know it has been discussed. Do you think they couldn't identify a box and decide if it should recieve extra channels (in the end we are only talking about delivering extra channels including sport to a second box nothing else).

All I am saying is I believe it is possible and could happen nothing more...
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel that BT should act like other communication companies with second boxes in putting new boxes in only a long with a small one time cost ( £ 30 or even lower as most can fix it in them self ) with the cost of £3 not £5 as they do not have all the channels like Virgin, Sky or Talk Talk.

Would like to see the Youview boxes to be able to record three or more channels at the same time and to be able to add extra Hard drive by USB to be able to record more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the £99 one off fee for the extra box that I think is a rip off as I don't think the likes of Sky charge a one of fee for an extra multi room box. They just have a monthly fee.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think £5 a month is a reasonable price (sky have more channels but also charge £11.25).
    I agree you shouldn't have to buy a box from BT (nice to have the option and £99 for a new G4 box isn't bad), the only issue is that if you use say the Talk Talk box it will continue to run the Talk Talk software that although close to BT's it isn't exactly the same so could become a bit of a support nightmare especially if new things get added to one version at different times to the others....

Sky give you a free box but it has no hard drive. BT have stated they will release a 'entry level' box later this year, this could be used as the multiroom box for a cheaper price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like being able to record in my bedroom as well as in the living room. So would not really want to go back to a box with no hard drive.

Darren
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Confirmed second box up & running. And I won't be surprised if BT do clamp down on using a "free" second box. FWIW - I don't think the £99 for a second recording box is bad, but the £5/month will probably mean if & when that happens, I'll make a decision as to which box keeps the extra channels.
  • Options
    gmack2000gmack2000 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Looks like the clamp down has arrived following the latest back-end upgrade. Can't access IP channels on my second box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im still getting the extra channels on my retail Youview box in my bedroom.
    Both my old style BT Youview box in living room and retail box in my bedroom have not had any software updates since May.
    I would not mind if BT would let you pay the extra £5 a month for the extra channels in another room if they let you keep the extra box you already have.
    Ok I would be getting the new G4 box for a one of rip of fee of £99 but I bet once my contract is near an end come Janurary they may send me the new G4 box if I ask them when I phone to renew.
    Im also still using the Home Hub 3 with the Openreach modem.
    About 3 years and 4 months I have been on Infinity 2 with the old free evening and weekend call package.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gmack2000 wrote: »
    Looks like the clamp down has arrived following the latest back-end upgrade. Can't access IP channels on my second box.

this happened to me the other day although ironical it was my BT box that could not access IP channels my talktalk branded second box still could factory reset solved the problem and both working fine again (well actually all 3 are are fine both BT branded ones and my TT one)

Ash
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone with multiple boxes please confirm they are still working as someone on the you view forum is saying they have stopped...
  • Options
    michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scointer wrote: »
    Can anyone with multiple boxes please confirm they are still working as someone on the you view forum is saying they have stopped...

Yes my BT and Talk Talk Branded box that I got off eBay are both working, BT Player, IPTV inc Sport and Moves all ok.

Mike
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes both my old style BT YouView box and the YouView retail box are still working with me on the BT TV services that I have.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another person suggesting it is slowly rolling out, although maybe this is something to do with vision boxes and youview boxes mixed... More investigation required I think.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Error-code-VMC025/td-p/1316395
  • Options
    michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My TalkTalk box has stopped working. When you go to the live channels it tells me I'm trying to access my subscription on more than one box and I need an extra subscription. I'll take a photo of the screen and post later.

Mike
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still working with me as im watching Falling Skies on Fox HD in my bedroom via the retail Youview box.
    michaelalanr maybe as your Youview box is a branded Talktalk box that is why for some reason it has stopped working.
    I seen over the weekend the new BT branded Youview box in the Currys store just outside town. You would think as its a BT branded Youview box that it would work with the BT TV services if your a BT customer.
    Its the old Style BT Youview box and the retail box in my room is now just over 2 years old.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look like BT have just done the same with me blocked one of my Youview boxes but they have for some strange reason blocked the old styl BTe Youview box in the living and the retail box in my bedroom style works fine.
    You would have thought they would have stopped the retail box from working and not the BT box.
    I don't mind paying the £5 extra a month its the one off £99 for the extra box that im not to keen on paying as I already got to Yoview boxes.

Darren