Options

QVC builds TV presence with new Freeview channel

Comments

• Options
    stevehuntstevehunt Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    RAINHAM54 wrote: »

why is it on my tv the picture pixilates as it does on the chart show channel
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One bonus of not being able to receive the local mux I suppose.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    stevehunt wrote: »
    why is it on my tv the picture pixilates as it does on the chart show channel

Dodgy reception of that mux.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I don't understand this at all. Shopping channels are so 90's, and yet they are expanding. Who now is buying stuff via shopping tv when we have myriad of choice to shop online is beyond me. Even older people today are tech savvy enough to know how to use basic Internet that is required to shop online. QVC should make a tv app and offer their products through the app and cease tv channels. This would be more convenient for everyone.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is QVC Extra live now on channel 57?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh, The won't survive the next 10 years as Connected TV is cheaper for them then a Freeview slot or they go out of business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Meh, The won't survive the next 10 years as Connected TV is cheaper for them then a Freeview slot or they go out of business.

But bear in mind when we go to DSO2 the costs of Freeview broadcast will drop. That will be within 10 years.

It's a shame the bitrate is fixed and not variable like the main COM channels.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it here on winter hill after I had to retune.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    "QVC builds TV presence with new Freeview channel"

I am surprised anyone buys anything from QVC or any other home shopping channel.

On the very rare occasions I have seen them, the items being promoted have a better and cheaper alternative available elsewhere.

Or do the companies that run them operate them at a loss as some kind of tax dodge?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christoFar wrote: »
    But bear in mind when we go to DSO2 the costs of Freeview broadcast will drop. That will be within 10 years.

It's a shame the bitrate is fixed and not variable like the main COM channels.

Except that, officially, there is no DSO2 in the offing. Just some loose concept.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Or do the companies that run them operate them at a loss as some kind of tax dodge?

Globally, QVC's revenue totalled $8.6 billion in 2013. There still seems to be a big market for shopping TV if it's done properly (unlike some recently closed shopping channels).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Globally, QVC's revenue totalled $8.6 billion in 2013. There still seems to be a big market for shopping TV if it's done properly (unlike some recently closed shopping channels).

Fine - but has QVC (or one if competitors) ever offered really good deals on good products not readily available elsewhere for less? On the rare occasions I have seen home shopping channels they just seem to be selling cheap shoddy tat.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Is QVC Extra live now on channel 57?
    Yes, if you are within range of a local Mux, as explained fairly well on the page linked to in the OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Yes, if you are within range of a local Mux, as explained fairly well on the page linked to in the OP.

Receiving it in Blackpool with the usual naff presentation...
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Fine - but has QVC (or one if competitors) ever offered really good deals on good products not readily available elsewhere for less? On the rare occasions I have seen home shopping channels they just seem to be selling cheap shoddy tat.

I've never bought from it myself but i've heard of some occasional bargains. Having a quick look at their website, there's a Sony laptop (Sony VAIO TAP 11 SVT1121B2E) at an "introductory price" of £499 (£599 usual price, same as PC World). That's just a single product of thousands so might not be representative.

There's definitely some cheap tat too and dubious products (http://www.qvcuk.com/WinCleaner-OneClick-PC-Registry-Cleaner-%26-Optimiser-for-2-Users.product.505107.html) but not to the extent previously seen on Bid and Pricedrop.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »

Re-tuned earlier and it's now on channel 57.

I also notice on channel 35 (QVC Beauty) says "Your TV is supported by this service but you need to connect to the internet" I checked my connection and my TV says it's connected to the wi-fi. It says the same with other Connect TV services too, so what's gone wrong?
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffs, another bloody shopping channel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    dj999 wrote: »
    ffs, another bloody shopping channel

That would be a much better title for this thread. :)

Its not "building a presence" on my TV (as in this thread's actual title)
    Any shopping channel gets deleted by me, as soon as it appears in the EPG, together with any iptv channels which cannot be received anyway.
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont mind 1 or 2 tho.
    just like the 'adult channels'. waste of time as cant show anything but tits
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have no problem with shopping channels on freeview, but we have too many.

if there were only about four of them, i wouldnt even delete them......
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But as has been pointed out ... Thus one is supporting the public service local TV .....
    But in any case Qvc is a business ... And if its opening another shop gives it more income than its costs ... Surely it would do it,