Options

Celeb editions of quiz shows - why?

bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
Forum Member
We're now getting into the silly season, when popular quiz shows such as Pointless, Eggheads, WWTBAM etc., are putting on so-called "celebrity specials".

So now we get a bunch of vacuous air-headed luvvies simpering and giggling as they either get the questions wrong, or by some fluke guess the right answer from a multiple choice, with the winners donating their prize to charidee. Nobody ever mentions that they receive an appearance fee for being contestants in these shows.

Why do we have to put up with this rubbish? If the TV companies want to donate money to charity, fine, go ahead and do it, but don't waste airtime on this dross when the slots could be used for proper contestants.

Comments

• Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    For god sake, DS is just full of moaners.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    To be fair, on Eggheads they didn't annoy me today.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I really detest them too

The presenters and contestants are too frineldy with each other, there's often less competitive spirits in the air as charity is at stake as oppossed to personal fortune which adds more entertainment, sometimes the celebs are allowed to win, and I'm sick of the same old faces do the circuits.

And what really annoys me is when celebs gamble money on WWTBAM even though they're guessing (which they admit too), in effect taking a senseless risk with the charity's money for a personal 'thrill'.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    And what really annoys me is when celebs gamble money on WWTBAM even though they're guessing (which they admit too), in effect taking a senseless risk with the charity's money for a personal 'thrill'.

TBH if I did that and lost I would feel so guilty I would have to make it up out of my own pocket
  • Options
    bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    For god sake, DS is just full of moaners.
    I thought that was the whole point of this forum?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    We're now getting into the silly season, when popular quiz shows such as Pointless, Eggheads, WWTBAM etc., are putting on so-called "celebrity specials".

So now we get a bunch of vacuous air-headed luvvies simpering and giggling as they either get the questions wrong, or by some fluke guess the right answer from a multiple choice, with the winners donating their prize to charidee. Nobody ever mentions that they receive an appearance fee for being contestants in these shows.

Why do we have to put up with this rubbish? If the TV companies want to donate money to charity, fine, go ahead and do it, but don't waste airtime on this dross when the slots could be used for proper contestants.

Agree with all that.:)

My wife loves these sort of programmes with Zelebrities in (:rolleyes:) but wont watch when there's proper people in them! :rolleyes:

I think its because she can answer the dumbed down questions easier :D
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the days before reality TV the only place you saw "ordinary people" was on quiz shows, but there were celebrity panel games as well. Now we see the public on all kinds of TV shows, so why shouldn't quiz shows have celebs on sometimes? As long as they are themselves, not putting on an act, then you get to see them in a different light, and that's surely the attraction. Some quiz formats could only now exist in a celebrity format. "Mr and Mrs" for example.

However, I do think Celebrity WWTBAM is a terrible idea. The whole point of that show is ordinary people playing for life changing money. The celebs playing for charity are in a comfort zone and of course play safe if a large amount is at risk. The whole show is changed.