What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reddybook wrote: »
    Safe House - Chris Ewan
    Great read.
    Exciting, entertaining but brutal.
    I liked the way the hero was just ordinary, beginning the story by repairing a boiler, then getting mixed up with a blonde in a near fatal motor cycle accident, and as nobody claims to have seen
    her, when he asks about her, he sets about tracing her.
    The Isle of Man location added depth to the story, and I loved Rob's relationship with his dog and his grandfather.

I thought this was a great book too ! Did you get it for 0.20p ? :D
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    At the time, it was a freebie. I haven't had my Kindle long. so I was fortunate for it
    to be for nothing. But, 20p, is as good as.
  • GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished Property of a Lady by Sarah Rayne yesterday. Supernatural mystery which I really enjoyed.

Just started a true life case called A Case for Solomon. This is about a 4 year old boy, Bobby Dunbar, who went missing in the USA in 1913. Eight months later he was 'found' living with a handyman and after a court case returned to his 'family'. Except recent DNA tests have proved that the boy wasn't Bobby...
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Hope its good :)

I enjoyed it, but it's a strange book!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurgles wrote: »
    Finished Property of a Lady by Sarah Rayne yesterday. Supernatural mystery which I really enjoyed.

Just started a true life case called A Case for Solomon. This is about a 4 year old boy, Bobby Dunbar, who went missing in the USA in 1913. Eight months later he was 'found' living with a handyman and after a court case returned to his 'family'. Except recent DNA tests have proved that the boy wasn't Bobby...

Oh that sounds intriguing - might give it a go.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on a C.J. Box marathon at the moment. Particularly the Joe Picket series. Love his descriptive style, he brings Wyoming and Montana to vivid life the mystery/crime/suspense is excellent.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    A Prison Diary. Hell. Vol. 1. - Jeffery Archer

MP Jeffery Archer was found guilty of perjury in 2001 and was sent to prison for four years. He was sent to Belmarsh and while he was there, for 22 days, he wrote a diary of his time there. The personal difficulties that he faced, the other prisoners, among them murderers and drug dealers. Not easy to write of a life so regimented and monotonous, but Archer made the subject interesting and topical, in the light of the Vicky Price/Chris Hughne case
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Martina Cole - The Take

I've already seen the tv series, but had the book prior to that so thought I'd read it anyway. It's great! I have a far better understanding of the characters and Freddie Jackson truly is loathsome.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to give up on 'The Life of Pi' just over half-way through. It was just dire and not going anywhere. Thank god I only paid 20p for the e-book.

Just started 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry' by Rachel Joyce. Enjoying what I've read of it so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Darren Shan - Birth of a Killer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Simple Act of Violence - RJ Ellory.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Another 99p Kindle bargain. It has very mixed reviews on Amazon and the subject matter is rather bleak, four strangers intent on suicide meet at the top of a tower block on New Year's Eve.

I also have a library book to read, The Road to Bosworth Field by Trevor Royle. I haven't borrowed a library book for years and was totally flummoxed by the self-service checkouts!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

More like day of the long-winded conversations. A re-read, btw. Forgot how waffly it could be, and that the triffids are almost secondary to other concerns. Still, a fascinating read with much food for thought, which was always Wyndham's prime intention.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    Devil's Knot - Mara Leveritt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Decision by Penny Vincenzi, which was very good - great escapist fun. Also Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, which was brilliant, but so sad!!! Have today started The Ugly Sister by Jane Fallon, which looks good so far.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fireproof- Alex Kava
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still on the R J Ellory at the moment but am very excited as when I awoke this morning We Are Here by Michael Marshall AND Life after Life by Kate Atkinson had arrived on my Kindle. Can't Wait!
  • Nellie1000Nellie1000 Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've moved away from my usual genre of thriller, mystery, murder etc to read My James by Ralph Bulger. It's a harrowing read, I have so much respect for James's father. I hope it helps him to have written it al down.

I've been lent Death Message by Mark Billingham. It's one of the Tom Thorne series. I've not ever read any novels by this author before. My question is should I read the others in the series in order before reading this one or will it be easy enough to follow starting with Death Message?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nellie1000 wrote: »
    I've moved away from my usual genre of thriller, mystery, murder etc to read My James by Ralph Bulger. It's a harrowing read, I have so much respect for James's father. I hope it helps him to have written it al down.

I've been lent Death Message by Mark Billingham. It's one of the Tom Thorne series. I've not ever read any novels by this author before. My question is should I read the others in the series in order before reading this one or will it be easy enough to follow starting with Death Message?

The "mysteries" in the Thorne novels are always very much their own thing, but the character does have progression. I would recommend reading in order if you can.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dark Tower by Stephen King
    I'm going to miss these characters once I'm done...
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

More like day of the long-winded conversations. A re-read, btw. Forgot how waffly it could be, and that the triffids are almost secondary to other concerns. Still, a fascinating read with much food for thought, which was always Wyndham's prime intention.

Oh my word, I devoured all John Wyndham's books when I was a young 'un. I judge a book by whether it leaves a lasting impression and Wyndham fits that criteria in spades
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Book - Alan Watts
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hustler, 2013 wet and wild babes and hoes special.

I recommend it, although I'm spent after a 30 minutes reading session.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Still on the R J Ellory at the moment but am very excited as when I awoke this morning We Are Here by Michael Marshall AND Life after Life by Kate Atkinson had arrived on my Kindle. Can't Wait!

Oh I love Michael Marshall (Smith), Lizzy. Have you read any of his other books? If not i can recommend Only Forward. It's very surreal, but brilliantly executed and just when you think you know what's going on, you don't.

A truly underrated but fantastic writer.
  • TyeverasTyeveras Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Hustler, 2013 wet and wild babes and hoes special.

I recommend it, although I'm spent after a 30 minutes reading session.

You're reading "Hustler"?

You're on the INTERNET!