Options

Forum changes

Comments

• Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    Looks good to me. It was time for a few changes and these seem to tick all the boxes.
    I agree, thank you so much for taking on board our comments, DS :)
  • Options
    staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Why not merge the Freesat forums too?
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a much better list, I say go ahead and change it
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless DS know something we don't about BT's future plans I don't think a BT forum in Cable & Satellite is justified. Threads about BT Sport on satellite or cable would be better off in the Sky or Virgin platform forums. BT Vision doesn't look like it has a long term future, but as it's a terrestrial/IPTV hybrid anyway it's not related to cable or satellite either.

Although YouView is the new/current standard for DTT/IPTV hybrid receivers there are other legacy hybrids like BT Vision and smart TV's to confuse things. Perhaps a Connected TV forum with YouView and BT Vision sub-forums might be a better arrangement to cover all DTT/IPTV hybrid equipment and services.

I'd be happy to see the Freesat/Freeview Recorders forums merged into Freesat and Freeview respectively but I'd like to see a Freetime sub-forum in Freesat since new services exclusive to Freetime currently end up being posted as new "Freesat" services.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    Perhaps a Connected TV forum with YouView and BT Vision sub-forums might be a better arrangement to cover all DTT/IPTV hybrid equipment and services.
    Now I can see the term Connected TV being a good top level forum to include BT Vision / Youview / Freetime etc and perhaps should envelop Online Entertainment too?

Connected TV
    - BT Vision
    - Youview
    - Freetime
    - Netflix
    - Lovefilm
    etc

Less clinical and less prescriptive than the term Hybrid TV.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    why are YouViews days numbered?
    The box may need some improvements, like enabling IPTV freeview HD channels ect, as Im sure it could cope with them, but I dont think its days are numbered!
    It's just an interface for people who forget to set up their PVRs for the programmes they want. ;)

It's the sort of thing that could be usefully incorporated into 'smart' TVs as a matter of course, with no need for a hard disk. (You can't record YouView-ed programmes anyway.) Also should include LOVEFiLM, Netflix, YouTube and the rest.

Now a PVR that records every programme on every channel (and keeps them for a week or so) so you can pick an choose what you want to watch after it's shown - that would be useful! (Didn't the BBC toy with that idea a couple of years back?)
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Here's my rough outline :)

Satellite
    .... (subforums unchanged)
    Terrestrial
    .... Freeview
    .... Freeview+ (all subforums merged)
    .... Top Up Removed
    .... Technical
    Connected TV
    .... BT TV
    .... Youview
    .... Virgin
    .... Netflix
    .... etc
    Broadband (and Mobile?)
    .... BT Broadband
    .... Sky Broadband
    .... Virgin Broadband
    .... Other Broadband
  • Options
    DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »

Satellite
    Terrestrial
    .... Freeview
    .... Top Up Removed
    .... Technical
    Connected TV
    .... BT TV
    .... Youview
    .... Virgin
    .... Netflix
    .... etc
    Broadband (and Mobile?)
    .... BT Broadband
    .... Sky Broadband
    .... Virgin Broadband
    .... Other Broadband
    I agree with AngusMast totally (apart from his satellite section, where I would combine the Sky and Sky+HD forums, which I would just call Sky TV. To that end, I would call Virgin above Virgin TV as well).
    Max Demian wrote: »
    (You can't record YouView-ed programmes anyway.)
    Thanks for that Max. I hadn't picked up on this - I thought the point of Youview was that you could. :(
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »

Satellite
    Terrestrial
    .... Freeview
    .... Top Up Removed
    .... Technical
    Connected TV
    .... BT TV
    .... Youview
    .... Virgin
    .... Netflix
    .... etc
    Broadband (and Mobile?)
    .... BT Broadband
    .... Sky Broadband
    .... Virgin Broadband
    .... Other Broadband

Sat forums need condensing to just 3 sub forums Sky, Freesat and other non platform specific, however merging cable TV with receivers that are internet connceted is a good idea. I would still surgest a link from the terrestrial forum to YouView though, so making the Youview forum in both terestrial and connected TV forums at once!
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

We've taken your feedback on board and agree it is time to look at how the Digital Entertainment Services forums are organised and have proposed the following changes. It would be extremely helpful to us to hear your thoughts on this before we made changes.

The biggest changes would be merging the HD forums into the general forums, adding BT forums as well as a YouView forum and removing a few desolate forums.

Please let us know your thoughts.

What about any other broadband provider? You have missed out TalkTalk and EE for example.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

We've taken your feedback on board and agree it is time to look at how the Digital Entertainment Services forums are organised and have proposed the following changes. It would be extremely helpful to us to hear your thoughts on this before we made changes.
    Entertainment Services
    Broadband Internet

Virgin Media Broadband
    Sky Broadband
    BT Broadband
    Landline and VOIP Services (duplicated VOIP services forum is deleted)

Cable & Satellite become one forum:

Virgin Media TV, Phone and V+ HD
    Sky and Sky HD
    BT (BT Vision forum merged into here)
    TiVo
    Freesat
    Freesat+ Recorders
    Technical
    Non-platform specific TV

Terrestrial

Freeview
    Freeview+ Recorders
    YouView
    Top Up TV
    Technical

Online Entertainment Services
    The biggest changes would be merging the HD forums into the general forums, adding BT forums as well as a YouView forum and removing a few desolate forums.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Yes that's an improvement, excellent, though there are still a few overlaps due to increasing divergence of linear TV services (same channels, several platforms) and convergence of receiving equipment (internet enabled TV).

Personally I would take a wider view, and would stick all TV forums in one section irrespective of the platform. Forums would be provider based, and within each provider, sub-forums could be added as necessary.

Similarly, I'd stick all broadband internet (non-TV) services in one section, with the forums again provider based.

And again, I'd put landline phone forums in their own section, once again provider based.

All three of the above sections could then have the same basic set of popular providers i.e. VM, Sky, BT, and perhaps TT. Additionally, each of the other TV platforms (Freeview etc.) would have a forum in the TV section.

My fourth section would be for Online Entertainment such as Netflix. Here's how it would all look:
    Entertainment Services

Broadband Internet (& fibre)

Virgin Media
    Sky
    BT
    Talk Talk
    Other broadband

Television (cable satellite terrestrial & catch-up)

Virgin Media
    Sky
    BT
    Talk Talk
    Freesat
    Freeview
    Youview
    Non-platform satellite
    Other TV [perhaps]
    Technical TV [perhaps]

Landline Phone Services (not mobile)

Virgin Media
    Sky
    BT
    Talk Talk
    Other landline phone

Online Entertainment Services (not live TV)

Netflix
    Lovefilm
    Other online entertainment

Just throwing something different into the mix here, it may be a bit too revolutionary for some though. Also, I'm not sure if landline phones belongs in here at all, unless we count, how shall I put it, certain "personal" phone services! ;)
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan of that d@ve. It makes more sense grouping the TV providers/platforms in to one section as there is so much crossover it's hard to define which should be where.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Landline and Broadband need to be different considering they are sold together hence any issues I've every had with broadband has effected homephone and vis versa!

Also what about Terrestrial that isn't Freeview! And the very few other Cable providers would be bizarre to group they together in other tv!

Also with online entertainment services it seems like Netflix and BBC Iplayer gets the most posts.

And going to the earlier one I don't think an EE broadband forum is needed considering the lower number on subscribers, but a TalkTalk one is needed as they are just as big as Sky Broadband (Even though Sky took over O2 Broadband a lot of people have left so)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Think it might be more usefull to list by companies, something like this:

Entertainment Services:
      [*]Virgin Media
      TV
      Broadband
      Landline Phone
      Moblie Phone
      [*]Sky
      TV
      Broadband
      Landline Phone
      [*]BT
      TV
      Youview
      BT Vision
      Broadband
      Landline Phone
      [*]Talk Talk
      TV
      Youview
      Broadband
      Landline Phone
      [*]Other TV
      Freesat
      Freeview
      Youview
      Technical TV
      Non-platform satellite
      [*]Netflix
      [*]Lovefilm
      [*]O2
      [*]EE
      Broadband
      Moblie Phone
      [*]3
      [*]Vodaphone
      [*]Other Moblie Phone companies
      [*]Other online entertainment
      [*]Other broadband
      Technical broadband
      [*]Other landline phone
      Technical Phones (mobile and landline)
    • Options
      gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
      Forum Member
      In that case you have missed out the Youview sub-forums needed under TalkTalk and Other.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      gomezz wrote: »
      In that case you have missed out the Youview sub-forums needed under TalkTalk and Other.

oh yea I did sory

Edit: Fixed now.
    • Options
      hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Technically Top Up TV is not part of Freeview but is Terrestrial service but I think it no longer warrants it's own forum.

With mobiles I think having they separately would be better as I think quite a few people would be confused why it was in the same section as Broadband and Landlines and It would already be a big change moving it from the Gadget forum to here is DS were to do that, but I think I the same forums as TV, Broadband and Landlines makes sense.

Im not 100% sure but I think back in the day Broadband may have been in the Tech/Gadget forums too!

The few people that do post on the top up forum are happy with it merging with Freeview. But I think we should go one further and put a sub forum in the freeview forum for recorders. It will only be a single forum and will merge to Freeview forum if doesn't get any posts after a month.

So that would mean:

Freeview: Sub forum Freeview Recorders
      Technical
      Youview: Will give about a year as I not sure what will happen with this
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I think it needs to be clear and not vague with multiple topics in the same forum as it will only lead to confusion.
    • Options
      pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I think Freesat and Freesat+ should be merged and a separate forum for <freetime>. That way, any new features or discussions will only concern those users and stop any confusion with people walking about features or services they can't receive.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
      Forum Member
      I Think it might be more usefull to list by companies, something like this:

Entertainment Services:
        [*]Virgin Media
        TV
        Broadband
        Landline Phone
        Moblie Phone
        [*]Sky
        TV
        Broadband
        Landline Phone
        [*]BT
        TV
        Youview
        BT Vision
        Broadband
        Landline Phone
        [*]Talk Talk
        TV
        Youview
        Broadband
        Landline Phone
        [*]Other TV
        Freesat
        Freeview
        Youview
        Technical TV
        Non-platform satellite
        [*]Netflix
        [*]Lovefilm
        [*]O2
        [*]EE
        Broadband
        Moblie Phone
        [*]3
        [*]Vodaphone
        [*]Other Moblie Phone companies
        [*]Other online entertainment
        [*]Other broadband
        Technical broadband
        [*]Other landline phone
        Technical Phones (mobile and landline)

I was thinking exactly this!! But wasnt quite sure how it could be structured.
      • Options
        [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
        Forum Member
        I find problems are not just platform specific but provider as well. For example TT Youview has many different issues too BT. BTW TT has mobile phones as well.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        I find problems are not just platform specific but provider as well. For example TT Youview has many different issues too BT. BTW TT has mobile phones as well.

I missed TT having a moblie service, but I did knock it out on the fly so it could be added to. The idea is there though so any other bits like that just need the relivent sub catergories.
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        I missed TT having a moblie service, but I did knock it out on the fly so it could be added to. The idea is there though so any other bits like that just need the relivent sub catergories.

But does TalkTalk Mobile and Virgin Mobile really justify separate forums? They are not large mobile operators the forums would hardly be used.

Along with TV issues yes a lot of issues do overlap true, but a lot are still very platform specific.

I really don't think putting everything into one is a good idea, it needs to be split under clear sections otherwise it will just confuse many people.

Also the reasoning for youview being part of Terrestrial forums is the main part of of is the Terrestrial "Freeview" network so all youview users do have freeview. where people who use Netflix, Lovefilm ect have a range of things (and isn't platform specific) where youview mainly relies on freeview also many new freeview receivers are internet connected and have BBC Iplayer on and also IPTV channels that have popped on on freeview over the last year.

So I think putting youview in connected Tv/online entertainment or such like isn't the best thing to do! (As it's basically just a freeview+ box with a bit extra)
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        But does TalkTalk Mobile and Virgin Mobile really justify separate forums? They are not large mobile operators the forums would hardly be used.

Along with TV issues yes a lot of issues do overlap true, but a lot are still very platform specific.

I really don't think putting everything into one is a good idea, it needs to be split under clear sections otherwise it will just confuse many people.

Also the reasoning for youview being part of Terrestrial forums is the main part of of is the Terrestrial "Freeview" network so all youview users do have freeview. where people who use Netflix, Lovefilm ect have a range of things (and isn't platform specific) where youview mainly relies on freeview also many new freeview receivers are internet connected and have BBC Iplayer on and also IPTV channels that have popped on on freeview over the last year.

So I think putting youview in connected Tv/online entertainment or such like isn't the best thing to do! (As it's basically just a freeview+ box with a bit extra)

well in that case there needs to be a sorting system where the user can choose which way they want to sort the forums; ether by Platform, manufacturer, Type( TV: cable, sat, terrestrial ect, online ent, moblies, broadband ect).
        This way forums could be got to by different routes and apear in 2 or more places at once!
      • Options
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        Or just have the current system where there are links to forums from others.