Will you be buying the 5s or 5c

13»

Comments

• technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 4s and am VERY happy with it.
    Contract expires next March so no need or desire to upgrade yet.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit dissapointed with the latest news.

Might just keep the 4s until the "6" or whatever comes next.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue overuse of Spandau Ballet's Gold in an advert!
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently running an iPhone 4. I. Switched from Android a few years ago and I don't think I'll be going back just yet. May consider the 5s, but not sure on the finger stuff and the 4 is still an awesome phone.

Android and the manufacturers need to up their game to get me to return, Samsung s4 too plasticy, nexus 4 no battery life, the htc one looks nice tho but they are maybe too big.

Jelly bean on my nexus 7 is poor, the smooth butteriness didn't seem to make it to my tablet.

My phone is important to me and most important is that it rings when I am called, I have used numerous android handsets that hang, needs regular reboots leaving me unaware that the phone is not ringing and won't until it is rebooted.

Android still isn't mature and reliable enough for me, I don't tinker any more - I use want a phone that works, and android doesn't fill me with enough confidence,

People bitch that IOS is outdated and apple is overpriced, but there is a reason why less people leave apple right now than android - quality matters. Overtime android is getting better, cupcake and donut were truly awful compared to iOS.

There is a reason why so many people in the Uk use Apple phones, the experience is just better than on Android right now.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Do apple provide any engraving on the gold phone for free ... Such as names like chantel or maybe limited to less letters say mum or dad .. I'd be very interested is so.

Hahahahaha

I'm going for the silver one and changing my name to Digby Worthington-Smythe!

Chantelle can have a pink 5c with blue cover!
    :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »

People bitch that IOS is outdated and apple is overpriced, but there is a reason why less people leave apple right now than android - quality matters. Overtime android is getting better, cupcake and donut were truly awful compared to iOS.

There is a reason why so many people in the Uk use Apple phones, the experience is just better than on Android right now

Erm, at the time Cupcake and Donut (and even Eclair) were out, iOS didn't even have wallpapers . :o

Samsung also sells more devices in the UK than Apple. I think the experience on the Nexus 4 is better than on the iPhone 5. It still feels fast and fluid and premium, but at the same time there's no feeling of restriction like there is on Apple devices. With iOS, everything has to be done Apple's way, which isn't necessarily the best way, whereas on Android, the device is truly the user's, it's not controlled and you have more freedom of choice.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently running an iPhone 4. I. Switched from Android a few years ago and I don't think I'll be going back just yet. May consider the 5s, but not sure on the finger stuff and the 4 is still an awesome phone.

Android and the manufacturers need to up their game to get me to return, Samsung s4 too plasticy, nexus 4 no battery life, the htc one looks nice tho but they are maybe too big.

Jelly bean on my nexus 7 is poor, the smooth butteriness didn't seem to make it to my tablet.

My phone is important to me and most important is that it rings when I am called, I have used numerous android handsets that hang, needs regular reboots leaving me unaware that the phone is not ringing and won't until it is rebooted.

Android still isn't mature and reliable enough for me, I don't tinker any more - I use want a phone that works, and android doesn't fill me with enough confidence,

There is a reason why so many people in the Uk use Apple phones, the experience is just better than on Android right now.
    Completely disagree. Try a HTC One and you wont look back. Android have gotten so much better since its earlier days and is so much more reliable. Haven't had a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4. Even its plasticy-ness isn't a problem - apple seems to love plastic now;).

Haven't experienced as many drop calls as I did on my iPhone 4. And I adored my iPhone 4, truly the last great phone Apple has made so far.

The iOS is reliable and easy to use. No doubting that. But it is dated, for someone young like me, the customisation Android now provides is great, suits my needs completely. The fact that I can expand my phones memory is also a God send. Automatic app updating and closing with 1 swipe.

My dad has an iPhone because it is a simpler phone to understand. Which is grand, nothing wrong with that. But for such a simple phone, it doesn't justify the luxury price tag. Especially since its technology is behind quite a lot of phones.

But again, the iPhone isn't a terrible device. It just doesn't live up to its luxury image.

As for the Nexus 7. Android is much better suited to mobile phones at the moment, than tablets. No one has yet to beat Apple on that front.
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the next htc one coming out?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never ! way overpriced and there are many MUCH better options out there.

Nokia Lumia 925, HTC One etc ...

I also agree with some of the above posts, I was not a fan of android at all, until I got the HTC One its beautiful interface and ease of use made me glad I got this phone!

I also have a Lumia 925 which I won which is a truly stunning handset!
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of getting the 5C for the Mrs but at those prices i just order her a Google Nexus 4 16GB for £199

I love you honey but i love my wallet more!
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it has more to do with brand loyalty, perception of quality and fashion. Apple has for years controlled their market with strict price maintenance (how they have managed to get away with that is a mystery) that gives an impression of higher than average quality.

The fact is that latest Android handsets more than match Apple's products from a technical specification and the operating system has become far more seamless and stable with additional user friendly interfaces like Samsung's Touchwiz and HTC's that make handsets much easier to use.

After all the waiting, speculation and the launch, the iPhone 5S is nowhere close to the technical spec of the Galaxy S4 yet costs £100 more. The 5C is seriously over priced and at more than what you can get an S4 for it's a no brainer. Apple seem to be marking time on their phone offerings and have not come close to the level of spec or innovation on either the HTC One or the Samsung Galaxy S4 and will loose a lot of credibility for not doing so. The 5S had a hard task to match the S4 but as the top of the range offering from what is considered by many to be the premier IT company it fails to compete and looks positively dated in comparison with the latest Note 3's specification and features.

Apple have done the bare minimum to refresh their phone products and will have to produce something very special to recover from the disappointment of these two new lacklustre offerings in the face of very aggressive and more innovative competition. Premium prices for devices that play catch up is not sustainable.
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you make of the contract pricing http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-5c-costs-just-50-on-o2-50012209/

5C £50 up front £32 pm
    5S £120 up front £37 pm
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    What do you make of the contract pricing http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-5c-costs-just-50-on-o2-50012209/

5C £50 up front £32 pm
    5S £120 up front £37 pm

I think the 27 a Month would of been better for the 5C but 50 up front is pretty fair price. I think the price per month is about right for the 5S but the upfront seems fairly high I would of said 99.99. Obviously those are just the 3G prices. It nice to be clarified that O2 4G network hasn't been approved yet by Apple.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 4s and am VERY happy with it

Yep, same here. The only way i'd ever consider upgrading is if Apple could add more memory. I've got a 64gb handset and if they could beef that up to, say, 128gb, then I'd seriously consider it.

As it stands, the 4s gives me everything I need, and with iOS 7 looking and handling so good, it's got a new lease of life as well.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Bloomberg and CNBC were covering and analysing Apple's product launches this evening and for a supposed mid range phone, the 5C does have a high end price :eek: although contract deals would offer better value for money.

That said, the 5C is unlikely to be a game changer for Apple at those sorts of prices so no, I won't be buying one.

I didn't see that :o To be honest I hardly ever watch CNBC these days because I don't have the time to watch it. I'm shocked at how expensive the 5C is. I thought it was supposed to be cheaper than the other iPhones?
    adi_carnat wrote: »
    so the rest of us don t exist? like.... don t know.... most of us... more than 95% of world computers run non mac soft...

arogant and snobs

I thought Mac market share had increased over the last few years?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    dave81uk wrote: »

5C £50 up front £32 pm
    5S £120 up front £37 pm

That is simply crazy pricing ..
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    That is simply crazy pricing ..

£50 up front?!?! It looks like Apple just didn't want to take on Android in the mid-range. The 5C is a mid-range device priced as a high-end one. It will sell on name alone because those prices are just outrageous.

All eyes will be on Google now to see what they have come up with next month.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    they will have to go some to scrape lower in the barrel than yesterday
  • gary77gary77 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't decided I'm using an iPhone 4s and don't have any problems with it.

I may just downgrade the tariff and hold off.

If i was to go for a new iPhone i would go for the 5S since the 5C is too much like the iPhone 5 in my eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary77 wrote: »
    I haven't decided I'm using an iPhone 4s and don't have any problems with it.

I may just downgrade the tariff and hold off.

If i was to go for a new iPhone i would go for the 5S since the 5C is too much like the iPhone 5 in my eyes

It's exactly the same phone in all but two things one they changed the LTE radio to support more frequencies and two removed the metal body and used color blind plastic.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might go for a 5S. I've had my 4S since a couple of weeks after they came out. Might be time for an upgrade.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Might go for a 5S. I've had my 4S since a couple of weeks after they came out. Might be time for an upgrade.

Treat yourself :)

Price aside, the 5S looks a quality phone, the new IOS7 operating system looks decent too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »

Enjoy it you will likely notice a massive performance increase. But then saying that iOS is always well optimised for whatever device you have. Hope you enjoy the benefits. Even though it sounds like I am against Apple I'm really not I understand completely why some love iOS. I must admit I love iOS on my tablet but prefer at moment android smartphones if they make a good iPhone 6 I will consider it.

iOS 7 looks like a good overhaul and added some things iOS was missing can't wait to see what it really like bit annoying that iTunes radio is going be US only though.
  • Roger_GreenwoodRoger_Greenwood Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Currently have a iPhone 4S,which is due for upgrade in November,it is on orange,I will be going for the 5s but will migrate to ee4g. My wife had a iPhone but chose to upgrade to a Samsung s3,but although she is happy with the bigger screen the rest of the phone has left her underwhelmed,has told me she should have kept to apple and will return when she can.