Humax HDR 1000s - where's the 23000 symbol rate?

2»

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Hope it resolves the flashing 'press i for info' banner as well.

Suspect that one is down to the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Suspect that one is down to the BBC.

Graham,
    Why would the BBC have anything to do with Freesat's interface on only Humax PVRs and not other brands, or Freeview?
    Bob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    truckerbob wrote: »
    Graham,
    Why would the BBC have anything to do with Freesat's interface on only Humax PVRs and not other brands, or Freeview?
    Bob

I'm guessing the prompt is generated by the BBC via the G2 epg (it's a different epg to the G1 boxes). They don't all flash, some just come on and stay on for a while. Currently the only G2 <freetime> boxes are made by Humax. Freesat designs the UI not Humax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing the prompt is generated by the BBC via the G2 epg (it's a different epg to the G1 boxes). They don't all flash, some just come on and stay on for a while. Currently the only G2 <freetime> boxes are made by Humax. Freesat designs the UI not Humax.

Even though BBC generate the prompt I would think its actual design and function would be up to Freesat, hence it could be done without the annoying flashing. Following on from today's update it seems Freesat are more concerned about their content providers than their viewers; ie: The speedy fix (less than a few weeks) to remove the Youtube bugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    truckerbob wrote: »
    Even though BBC generate the prompt I would think its actual design and function would be up to Freesat, hence it could be done without the annoying flashing. Following on from today's update it seems Freesat are more concerned about their content providers than their viewers; ie: The speedy fix (less than a few weeks) to remove the Youtube bugs.

If it was down to Freesat, why aren't there equivalent functions on the other HD channels ? It has to be the BBC controlling when the prompt appears and how long it stays on screen.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If it was down to Freesat, why aren't there equivalent functions on the other HD channels ? It has to be the BBC controlling when the prompt appears and how long it stays on screen.

All the BBC do is add the appropriate data to a trailer to promt the supported devices to display something.
    What happens after that prompt is sent its entirely down to how the software on the box has been programmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    All the BBC do is add the appropriate data to a trailer to promt the supported devices to display something.
    What happens after that prompt is sent its entirely down to how the software on the box has been programmed.

If that's the case why do some appear, stay on the screen and then disappear. Others repeatedly flash on and off. As it's the same software how do you explain the differences ? :o
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If that's the case why do some appear, stay on the screen and then disappear. Others repeatedly flash on and off. As it's the same software how do you explain the differences ? :o

Come on now Graham you've owned Humax products for years too. It's got to be similar as saying, It's all the same software but why do some users have issues when others don't?
    It one of those Humax mysteries :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand there is a separate method on (some?) Humax boxes for adding BBC1 HD regions to the full epg? can anyone confirm?

Foxsat-HDR with Custom Firmware and channel editor package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Foxsat-HDR with Custom Firmware and channel editor package.

Is this easy to do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Good to see the adding a tranponder process restored to full functionality. Quick response to solving this issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this easy to do?

If you can use a webbrowser and know how to copy files to a usb stick (basic PC knowledge), then yes it's very straightforward.

See

http://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-5.1829374/
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK the UK government should now sue Sky despite the fact that pretty well ever kit sold in the UK has complied with the directive since day one.

Sky in this case are now the sole maker of Sky Boxes (and were the sole suppliers of the same independently of the whoever made the box to the standard Sky demanded). As the sole source of such boxes, they were in breach of the regulations for many years.

The regulations refer to the legal electrical specification of items that can legally sold in the EU. Can you buy a new 200W incandescent light bulb anywhere in the UK, or in the EU ?

During the overnight period the extra load imposed by by millions of Sky boxes using around 60 times of the current legal standby regulations has cost each and every one of us who are electricity consumers have subsided Sky users to many millions of pounds.

It is hard to tell what point you are trying to make in that garbled rant...

It might be something to do with the off topic subject of power usage by Sky+ boxes.

Well the DRX-890W, DRX895W, and DRX595 are compliant with all UK laws... note I used the word law as you still seem to be having problems understanding what a EU directive is.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you work for Sky ?

Do you have a financial interest in Sky ?

Do you have some other strange, reason to defend the indefensible ?

Has my post worried you in some other way ?

Still trying to smear by association well here are your answers...
    Q1 ... NO

Q2 ... NO

Q3 ... That's a question you need to answer about yourself.

Q4 ... NO ... BUT your inability to stay on topic says everything about you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

It might be something to do with the off topic subject of power usage by Sky+ boxes.

Well the DRX-890W, DRX895W, and DRX595 are compliant with all UK laws... note I used the word law as you still seem to be having problems understanding what a EU directive is.

It seems very clear to me, ever since the directive was introduced millions of Sky boxes using unreasonable amounts of energy in standby have cost their owners significant amounts of money in increased energy bills. More importantly they have contributed in no small way to the UK's CO2 emissions, by increasing the overnight demand.

I am not a lawyer. but I am a retired National Grid planning engineer and as a result quite familiar with the process of scheduling generation to meet the demand profile. Basically every extra MW of capacity required to meet an increased demand is going to increase the cost and require less efficient plant to be used.

Together the overnight consumption of Sky boxes compared to the same number of modern designed low power sby boxes must be at least 500MW.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

I suggest you try adding the appropriate transponder to a Sky box using add channels, and see how far you get ?

It's not me that's so far off topic. :o