Options

Test your Broadband for Ultra HD and Ditch the antennas!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
If your ISP can deliver this test feed to you then who needs Transmitters and Satellites? ULTRA HD 4K TEST http://youtu.be/7ZOARQiyj9s

(Make sure you select 4K and report back :)

Comments

• Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance I will ditch Satellite. If you suffer a broadband outtage you can't watch TV.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    A few stops for buffering (to be expected on only a 15mb connection) but it was my graphics card that was struggling. A ATI Radeon 5400 HD. It cab handle 1080P even on two monitors at the same time, but this stutters like hell on panning movement.

Can anyone recommend a good card for 4k HD video and doesn't cost hundreds of pounds?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    better to receive this through a DEDICATED system, than home computers as they have almost infinite specifications!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave69 wrote: »
    If your ISP can deliver this test feed to you then who needs Transmitters and Satellites? ULTRA HD 4K TEST http://youtu.be/7ZOARQiyj9s

(Make sure you select 4K and report back :)

its available to purchase in 4K but that video is 360p only! find a proper 4K video to stream and then we could actually test our connections out!
    I wont be ditching satellite any time soon anyway, liner broadcast is just so much better.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks stunning even in just 1080P :D

My PC
    i5 2400
    And
    VTX3D AMD Radeon HD 7870 Tahiti LE Black
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt the bit rate of YouTube's UHD mode is good enough for such a test. Their 1080p streams started as just 2 Mbps! Must be better now but still limited to 30 fps or lower.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    its available to purchase in 4K but that video is 360p only! find a proper 4K video to stream and then we could actually test our connections out!
    I wont be ditching satellite any time soon anyway, liner broadcast is just so much better.

No it's not. Click on the cog and then choose the quality from the drop down list. It goes up to 2160p!
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Looks stunning even in just 1080P :D

My PC
    i5 2400
    And
    VTX3D AMD Radeon HD 7870 Tahiti LE Black

Nice card! Shame about the price! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    No it's not. Click on the cog and then choose the quality from the drop down list. It goes up to 2160p!

I did that the only option was 360p!:o how did it give you 2160p:confused:
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't test. I've been working closely with YouTube producing new content in 4K which will launch in July and their 4K spec is nowhere near broadcast standard 4K.

They suggested to me that we should recommend viewers have a minimum of 4mb/s
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weirdly enough, it seemed to be my browser that caused the most trouble. In Internet Explorer it stuttered for a few seconds to begin with, then ran absolutely fine for the rest of the video. Chrome on the other hand played the 4K stream for about five seconds in full-screen mode, then for some reason immediately reset itself to a windowed 360P stream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did that the only option was 360p!:o how did it give you 2160p:confused:

Select 4K in the feed. It really tests your Broadband and your Graphics card! Buffering is a slow broadband and Frame Rate Drop is the result of a poor Graphics card. The result is a definition around 4 times that of Satellite 720 HD.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were watching this on the new 4k TV we have at work. Very impressive on that, but then in the office we have a 10Gbps Internet pipe. On my 17Mbps home broadband it's buffer buffer buffer time.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alas I now live in the country and have shit broadband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave69 wrote: »
    Select 4K in the feed. It really tests your Broadband and your Graphics card! Buffering is a slow broadband and Frame Rate Drop is the result of a poor Graphics card. The result is a definition around 4 times that of Satellite 720 HD.

This is what I get when I click on the spanner: http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w639/lotrjw/youtubepic_zps91fc3dfb.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, it seemed to be my browser that caused the most trouble. In Internet Explorer it stuttered for a few seconds to begin with, then ran absolutely fine for the rest of the video. Chrome on the other hand played the 4K stream for about five seconds in full-screen mode, then for some reason immediately reset itself to a windowed 360P stream.

so you get the 360p issue in a chrome type browser too? can others confirm that this is a chrome browser issue?
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked fine for me through Firefox set at the highest quality level on YouTube's player. Looked lovely in full screen too. I do have a high spec laptop though and a 80MB fibre connection.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to click on the quality drop down menu and select 4K :)

I downloaded via 4k youtube downloader and it looks great on my tv via a media player on pc.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longest youtube video in 4K :o:o:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-YC9pukiw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    The longest youtube video in 4K :o:o:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-YC9pukiw
    The crisp Black & White text on a deeply orange background reminds me of one night in my local pub drinking cocktails but I'm afraid I cant remember getting home!
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Not convinced Youtubes 4K is any better than 1080p really...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    We were watching this on the new 4k TV we have at work. Very impressive on that, but then in the office we have a 10Gbps Internet pipe. On my 17Mbps home broadband it's buffer buffer buffer time.

Pop along to speedtest.net and just check your true broadband speed! It should work fine at 17mbs!!!
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that HD video will chew through broadband monthly limits at a rate of knots. This idea is really only practical if you have an unlimited package both in terms of GB/month and also throttling in busy times.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My £500 laptop didn't manage to play the 4k video without buffering all the time, but managed to knock it down to 1440 HD and it played without any problems....
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not convinced Youtubes 4K is any better than 1080p really...

I agree, Just looks like an over contrasted video with a touch of sharpening.
    The Sheeple will lap up 4K TV's though :)

Reminds me of this:
    Jump to 14mins 50 secs (SFW)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsIgesdR_o