Options

Teenage girl makes terrorist threat to American Airlines on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waterboarded, shocked and then thrown into the deepest darkest CIA black-site.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    hope the fbi waterboard her
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly girl, she will learn her lesson though
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didnt make a terrorist threat, she didnt use the word bomb,explosives or anything,she just said she was going to do something stupid(I paraphrase),by obviously assuming a stereotype alias there was an insinuation I suppose but no outright threat.

ETA: American Airlines cant take her I address either,they can request it from Twitter.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Well she won't be visiting America in her life.

Remember that guy who made a joke threat about the US and they arrested him at customs and deported him back to the UK.

Idiots.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well she won't be visiting America in her life.

Remember that guy who made a joke threat about the US and they arrested him at customs and deported him back to the UK.

Idiots.

She didnt make a threat though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't matter. They don't have to let people in if they don't want to. Ask Nigella.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »

You don't consider sending a tweet to American Airlines, who lost two aircraft on 9/11, claiming to be a member of al-Qaeda who is about to do "something really big" a threat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She said she's part of Al Queda which is a terror group, so when you see that someone says that, and they say something big is going to happen you'd assume it's a threat, and i believe American Airlines are justified in taking offense at the remark.

It's a bit like me saying to you for example ... "I know where you live and i'm going to come around your house tonight, you better watch out because something big is going to happen" It's not a direct threat, but it is threatening for sure.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What she said was:

"Hello my name's Ibrahim and I'm from Afghanistan. I'm part of Al Qaida (sic) and on June 1st I'm gonna do something big bye"

I'd say that constitutes a rather threatening tweet, especially when you consider that American Airlines had one of their planes involved in 9/11.

Really not sure what she was trying to achieve by tweeting that. We really do need to educate our kids about what social media is for.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't matter. They don't have to let people in if they don't want to. Ask Nigella.

Nigella isn't barred from the U.S. She just had to apply for a visa as her public cocaine confession made her ineligible for the visa waiver program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    I'd say that constitutes a rather threatening tweet, especially when you consider that American Airlines had one of their planes involved in 9/11.

Two. One hit the North Tower and the second the Pentagon.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Two. One hit the North Tower and the second the Pentagon.

Two then ;-). Either way, they have a reason to be careful about threats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Nigella isn't barred from the U.S. She just had to apply for a visa as her public cocaine confession made her ineligible for the visa waiver program.
    I'm assuming they don't have to issue her a visa if they don't want to.
    So again, they don't have to let this girl into the US if they don't want to so if she does want to visit the US in the future and they spot who she is then she could find her plans ruined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jen-B wrote: »
    What she said was:

"Hello my name's Ibrahim and I'm from Afghanistan. I'm part of Al Qaida (sic) and on June 1st I'm gonna do something big bye"

Really not sure what she was trying to achieve by tweeting that. We really do need to educate our kids about what social media is for.
    Her defense is that it was her friend who sent it.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    She needs the Police to caution her. Give her a fright. Silly girl.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will come of it. The US Supreme Court already established years ago that a threat needs to be credible to be prosecuted, and this clearly wasn't as it was posted on Twitter. Law may be different in the Netherlands where she was arrested though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Good. Should give the silly bitch a scare. You see teenagers threatening people all the time on twitter and this is one of them. Tweeting you're involved with Al-Queda is stupid enough, tweeting an national airline claiming you're a terrorist is asking for trouble.

Bet she thought it was hilarious, wonder if she'd find it so funny if she lost someone she knew in a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming they don't have to issue her a visa if they don't want to.
    So again, they don't have to let this girl into the US if they don't want to so if she does want to visit the US in the future and they spot who she is then she could find her plans ruined.

I don't think the decisions are made on a whim, and going by the fact that Nigella was invited to the Embassy to apply, I'm going to assume her chances are good.

I don't know if this girl will be barred for life, but I doubt she'll qualify for ESTA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I don't think the decisions are made on a whim, and going by the fact that Nigella was invited to the Embassy to apply, I'm going to assume her chances are good.
    The point i'm making though is that they don't have to let people in if they don't want to.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »

Slap on the wrist for her, huge big whack on the arse for American Airlines for responding publicly to it. They have 800,000 followers and that's what generated the massive fuss about it.

Silly girl, stupid airline person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Slap on the wrist for her, huge big whack on the arse for American Airlines for responding publicly to it. They have 800,000 followers and that's what generated the massive fuss about it.

Silly girl, stupid airline person.

Some would say that AA responded to the threat to help show awareness, and also to show that they are aware of the comment made. If they didn't respond they'd get floods of Tweets saying "Did you see that tweet someone sent you?" etc;
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well to my mind she did , it wasn't a silly joke that one could laugh at , she said she was a part of a terror group and that they would do something "really big" on a certain date. Now we all know now she is an idiot but in the first instance what was the airline expected to think, that she was going to bake them a cake ?
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to admit, though, her tweet "I blocked the FBI just in case" is hilarious. :D
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Good. Well I hope she learns her lesson.

Threats or implied threats are not acceptable, especially in the Airline industry.