Is your tablet gathering dust yet ?

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    According to my wife my IPad is now a fixed human attachment. I'm currently sat in the garden typing this on it.

Have had the iPad 2, 3 and now the 64gb Air. Used all day everyday for everything except banking. Load video and download BBC iPlayer programs for travelling too. Ebay is so much easier on iPad and wife uses her in combination with the Kindle for reading lots of books. Has replaced news papers, magazines sketch pad, camera and more.

MacBook Pro is gathering dust and MacMini is used occasionally. If iPad was lost or broken would have to get immediate replacement. Best piece of tech ever invented.

Same here. I had the iPad 2 and recently updated to the Air. Sad I know, but I can't imagine life without a tablet. I use it every day, it's the laptop that's gathering dust. I still use a desktop for serious, work related stuff. But apart from that, the tablet fills all my leisure needs.
  • millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    iPad 2 - for general browsing, Faceplant & twatter, some light word processing. Never leaves home anymore.
    Playbook - audio streaming ( yourmuze.fm & Jango Radio) , podcasts. Effectively our 'kitchen radio' . Great audio and amazing battery life. Never leaves home
    NetBook running Linux - only used for family finances on kMyMoney - can't find a decent alternative. Never leaves home
    Kobo Touch - eReader for when on holiday. Never used at home.
    MotoG phone - does what the Playbook and ipad do when away from home, and as a bonus it makes phone calls!

I would consider a 5" phone (at the right price point) to replace both the ipad and the Moto G. Plus if the battery were upto the job, it could potentially the Kobo eReader too.

It's astonishing (to me) how many people on here are still using the Playbook considering it's been written off by Blackberry!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's astonishing (to me) how many people on here are still using the Playbook considering it's been written off by Blackberry!

Well if it still works, why not use it? :)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my iPad mini everyday, that's what I am typing this on.

Tablet pc's are great for everyday tasks. They are fast, and you can get to those frequently used tasks very quickly.

But they are not a replacement for a pc. As good as the iPad is (don't get me started about android) you can't be very creative with one, it's not as productive, and is restrictive in certain ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debb1e wrote: »
    Probably because a tablet isn't as productive as a laptop or desktop.

For example, could you imagine contributing to this forum without a proper keyboard?

I sympathise with your view, my now defunct android phone had a hopeless touch screen. Just absolute terrible.
    However, while not quite perfect this iPad mini touch screen is way better to type on. It really is night and day compared with my android touch screen phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't like typing more than a couple of lines on my tablet as I'm so slow. On a laptop or desktop I can virtually touch type. I also find a laptop easier for general browsing (such as now) as I can have it on the arm of the sofa and use it mostly one handed while the screen is upright. Using a tablet is mostly a two handed operation.

On the other hand, a tablet is more useful in bed and I'll also admit to using it in the bath too - though I've had a couple of close shaves when almost dropping it.

Get an iPad.......looking at the thread from the start it seems that there is a "problem" when typing on android devices. My phone was horrific for this, so much so I tried to get out the contract, tried to reject it (was told they are all the same, seems they were on to something, all bad). Canceled as soon as contract ended and went went back to a button phone, use an iPad for everything else.
    Typing on an iPad is just so easy and fast compared with android.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I sympathise with your view, my now defunct android phone had a hopeless touch screen. Just absolute terrible.
    However, while not quite perfect this iPad mini touch screen is way better to type on. It really is night and day compared with my android touch screen phone.
    You seem to be conflating the problems with your hopeless previous hardware with the operating system it used, and issuing erroneous advice on that basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    You seem to be conflating the problems with your hopeless previous hardware with the operating system it used, and issuing erroneous advice on that basis.

All I am questioning is if the terrible text input was due to the android software rather than the actual hardware used. Plain and simple.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Kindle Fire HD and I use it all the time. In fact I am using it right now to type this post. My eyesight problems mean that I can't look at a PC screen without it being very close to my face, and you can imagine the associated problems there! But I have no problems whatsoever with my Kindle Fire.
    It's the PC in my house which is gathering dust, not my tablet.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get an iPad.......looking at the thread from the start it seems that there is a "problem" when typing on android devices. My phone was horrific for this, so much so I tried to get out the contract, tried to reject it (was told they are all the same, seems they were on to something, all bad). Canceled as soon as contract ended and went went back to a button phone, use an iPad for everything else.

It's nothing to do with Android vs iPad, I just don't like typing on a a screen. I see people typing quickly on touchs creen phones and tablet but maybe I'm too old to adapt to a lifetime of using a physical keyboard. Touch screens have come a long way since the early models and I find that they are great for most things. Just not high speed, accurate typing for long periods.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with Android vs iPad, I just don't like typing on a a screen. I see people typing quickly on touchs creen phones and tablet but maybe I'm too old to adapt to a lifetime of using a physical keyboard. Touch screens have come a long way since the early models and I find that they are great for most things. Just not high speed, accurate typing for long periods.

It's very easy to touch the wrong thing, I must admit.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US, Starbucks and McDonalds are starting to introduce charging pads too. The biggest problem at the moment for wireless charging is that there are several different standards.

I thought Qi was the only standard.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use my iPad Air everyday for watching films whilst commuting & for checking emails, surfing the net & posting on here during the evening I'd be lost without it
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Qi was the only standard.

No, but there are signs that a universal standard may emerge:
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/wireless-charging-takes-big-step-forward-as-rival-groups-team-up/

The question is whether Apple will join in or will they insist on doing things their own way as usual?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my iPad mini everyday, that's what I am typing this on.

Tablet pc's are great for everyday tasks. They are fast, and you can get to those frequently used tasks very quickly.

But they are not a replacement for a pc. As good as the iPad is (don't get me started about android) you can't be very creative with one, it's not as productive, and is restrictive in certain ways.

Yeah, you can't copy and paste.

But you can take an HD film and upload it to you tube, all in one go.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my iPad mini all the time. If I'm writing documents or long emails, I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I became the owner of an iPad Mini I use it far more than I ever did my iPad 4.

It's much easier to carry around, browse websites, check out Facebook etc.

For anything that requires photo editing etc I will use my desktop.

Tablets are great but definitely not a replacement for personal computing (yet.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yeah, you can't copy and paste.

But you can take an HD film and upload it to you tube, all in one go.

I can copy & paste (text) on the iPad, but never managed it on my android phone.

What my iPad won't do is multitask a YouTube video...eg, keeps playing it while I go away and load some thing else. This applies to using the YouTube app (it is that latest one) or using the web based version of YouTube in Safari. As soon as I multitask it stops playing.
    What I find strange is that 2 radio players I use will multitask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO
    At the moment mobile devices, tablets and smart phones work best with software specifically designed for them, so we have android and iOS, & the windows mobile thing.

This may change in the future however. When the hardware in mobile devices is more developed it maybe that one giant os would fit all such devices and be used on pc's as well. Possibly it might be modular, with the installer just installing the relevant modules to match the hardware your using. This might be some thing like what MS are trying with Win8, but as I said we need more mature mobile hardware and likely more convergence and cross over to happen before a 2nd attempt at a one for all os can be successfull.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Is your tablet gathering dust yet?

Nope. It's used regularly to access the internet, as an ebook reader, as an audiobook player and it's a great help in diagnosing PCs and laptops that are unwell.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. I have the main PC that is hooked up to my TV for watching movies when I am at home. Then I have my iPad for sofa as well. I use my Kindle HDX for travelling as it great for movie watching on the go. A tool for every job IMO :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I use my tablet for more on-the-go purposes
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So is the keyboard on the iPad better than the iPhone implementation? On the iPhone the keyboard is utterly diabolical. Can't imagine the iPad being any better. Why does the keyboard always stay in "upper case" (regardless of what you're typing). I thought iOS 7 was dropping the skeuomorphic design, the keyboard is the biggest design flaw and sticks resolutely to the skeuomorphic layout.

I've found the Android keyboards (stock - ie. swype on my Nexus 7) to be absolutely brilliant. Way better than the rubbish that Apple offer.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

The gap between the capabilities of my phone and my tablet are so minor I tend to reach for the phone 99% of the time. It's in my pocket, it's charged, it works even when not within range of WiFi. Facebook, Twitter, a quick wiki or Google lookup, shopping on ebay or amazon and casual game playing are all mostly done on the phone.

My laptop is way beyond either, and is my main work tool (apart from checking email on my phone).

The tablet doesn't offer anything the phone can't do except to be bigger and heavier (and not within reach, and often discharged).
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I have a Kindle which is way for me - bought as a pressure by my eldest don. Hubby & son also bought me a Sony reader(?) when they initially came out - long winded to download a boo IMO. Mine has been used a few times.

I don't tend to use my iPad - as it's old ( really early, doesn't update - but I was given it so I appreciate what I have) my daughter gave her's to me - hardly used.
    I love my iPhone as being very shortsighted I can read it besides the pillow when I can't sleep at night as I can see things close - I mean I'm really shortsighted & have varifocals in my prescriptions which have become worse since I had to have laser treatment a few times for detached retinas. I do appreciate what I have as sight and consider myself lucky.