Options

Daily Fail/Evening Standard "pledging allegiance to the caliphate "

Comments

• Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Have I misread the post? I didn't think this was about "bashing muslims", but about the lengths the Daily Mail and their stablemates go to to inflame bad feelings about muslims?

What ber said. There is hardly any interest in this thread it is not bashing muslims. I do hope the evening standard and daily mail are investigated for their clear support of terrorism.

I guess for now, ds users will have to contain their xenophobia.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Not surprised this has not received numerous responses on DS. Cough, 'can't bash muslims' cough.

Deleted- misunderstood you.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Deleted- misunderstood you.

Maybe my statement is wrong but what I meant to say is that this thread will not garner much interest on ds as it does not allow ds users to bash muslims.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Well, if the IP does 'belong' to the OP of that thread then they do work for the DM.

Not specifically. It could still be someone in the building connecting to the main router that's being used to be fair, but that obviously doesn't automatically make them a DM employee, I believe there could also be the possibility that someone could connect to the network via WiFi and they'd have that network's IP address, although i'm willing to be corrected on that one.

There are definitely steps that would need to be taken to determine the actual specifics of who posted the message though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe my statement is wrong but what I meant to say is that this thread will not garner much interest on ds as it does not allow ds users to bash muslims.

In which case I tend to agree.

But back to the subject- nice find. Busted good and proper.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    How come all the posts on that website are in the future and how come none of the other links on it work.

Seems like the whole thing is a hoax to me.

Edit. Ok it's a snapshot for the other day, but the actual website doesn't seem to be working either.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not specifically. It could still be someone in the building connecting to the main router that's being used to be fair, but that obviously doesn't automatically make them a DM employee, I believe there could also be the possibility that someone could connect to the network via WiFi and they'd have that network's IP address, although i'm willing to be corrected on that one.

There are definitely steps that would need to be taken to determine the actual specifics of who posted the message though.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing but it seems that the IP is assigned to a specific person ( or their PC at least) as they have a name?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    How come all the posts on that website are in the future and how come none of the other links on it work.

Links work fine for me...

...and the posts aren't "in the future", it's a cache- "today" means whatever day it was at the time.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah - that is a bit dodgy. The actual web site is down at the minute. The OPs link is to googles cache of the site - a replica of the site recently taken. Does seem odd that the site this actually happened on is not available
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because its a cache (basically a screenshot) from yesterday. It says at the top of the page...
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its a cache (basically a screenshot) from yesterday. It says at the top of the page...

Oh I assumed that the forum was just in a different timezone that's a number of hours ahead. But you're right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah - that is a bit dodgy. The actual web site is down at the minute. The OPs link is to googles cache of the site - a replica of the site recently taken. Does seem odd that the site this actually happened on is not available

Its probably never had so much traffic and has fallen over :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

But if there's one thing DS users like to bash more than Muslims, it's the Daily Mail. So it could turn up trumps yet! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its probably never had so much traffic and has fallen over :D

Or a crack team of DM hackers have taken their revenge!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing but it seems that the IP is assigned to a specific person ( or their PC at least) as they have a name?
    Although every machine has only one IP address at any given time, a machine may have several host names (the additional host names are known as "aliases"). For example, MIT's official web service is run on a machine with the host name "arachnophobia.mit.edu" (IP address 18.69.0.27), but users refer to the machine by the alias host name "web.mit.edu".

https://ist.mit.edu/network/ip

I don't profess to be a networking expert either, but i'm still certain that steps need to be taken to determine specifically what device this originated from - if it is in fact real and not a hoax.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you saying that no-one on DS ever defends Muslims ?

Because if you are, I'm calling bullshit.
  • Options
    Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ber said. There is hardly any interest in this thread it is not bashing muslims. I do hope the evening standard and daily mail are investigated for their clear support of terrorism.

I guess for now, ds users will have to contain their xenophobia.

Stop baiting, you are hardly helping matters.

Anyway, how bloody cynical. Having looked at the posts it was a really weak attempt and they could have tried a little harder, members of the forum were instantly dismissive. I hope this gets around because this sort of shit is pathetic from so called journalists.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Indeed. Sort of thing that police and MI5 computer forensics teams are very capable of however.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what the fuss is about. I don't know how anybody devotes their life to an ice-lolly anyway.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a possibility, although most networks are secured these days.

That said, it might be anybody working there - even a cleaner, using their own device, as they know the passphrase to get in.
  • Options
    Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or *cough* .. it's just a bit .. *cough* .. desperate .. *cough* ..
    Desperate in what way? What do you mean?

This thread has left the cat amongst the pigeons. The reason it won't 20 pages of responses as you can't really bash muslims on here.

yeah = what do you mean? desperate? I saw something i thought was funny and linked to it?

ecckles wrote: »
    October 12, 1981Age:32Gender:Female
    "Scarlett Fever is not a member of any public groups "???????????????
    Another opinion from the naïve.:blush:

and what does this even mean? so what if i am not 'member of any public group' - why do i need to be ???? - Please explain? :confused:
    edit well "ecckles is not a member of any public groups" either.... is it the date of birth thing? you're going to find me on that? what you going to steal my data... are you sure that it *is my* date of birth?
    blueblade wrote: »
    I wish I had the remotest clue as to what the OP is on about, but I don't.
    yeah - so difficult to read ....:confused:
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what the fuss is about. I don't know how anybody devotes their life to an ice-lolly anyway.

To be fair on a hot sunny day it does seem like an acceptable cause to devote yourself to.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    In which case I tend to agree.

But back to the subject- nice find. Busted good and proper.

Busted would tend to suggest this is something we don't already know. Does anyone really think the Mail doesn't make stuff up ? Who needs the truth when you can have OUTRAGE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quest for the identity of the wannabe jihadist continues....

http://www.ummah.com/forum/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    If this does turn out to be something started by someone who works for the DM it really is quite disgusting, and could potentially be a police matter. Given all the bad publicity the press has had recently with the hacking trial, you would think any DM journalist would have a basic knowledge of how to obfuscate their IP address when trying to do such things.

It could potentially be some form of incitement too I suppose.