Options

Eggheads: Should Student Teams Be Banned?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not 'often'. I think you meant 'rarely'...

The ignorance of these students boggles my mind. And why do women always want to do 'TV and Films'?

I've not noticed the gender of those choosing to answer a subject and I meant what I wrote as the whole premise of the game is … can the Eggheads be beaten?

Well yes, they can, but that happens rarely and it's not always purely because the Eggheads formidable brains. Something my husband and I enjoy about the programme and laugh about is if answers must be given by definitive knowledge the questions asked of the Eggheads are (to us) the ones easier to deduce make the age of any opposing team quite irrelevant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether it is because I'm getting old and curmudgeony or not I dunno, but I hate the students on Eggheads that comment on the questions. Especially when they pick Music and it's pre-1995 - "Ahh, 1990, before my time!" Christallmighty, so that means all History and Politics questions are out as well then!

EDIT: Whoops, just spotted your post, ravensborough! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    I`ve also seen students win over the Eggheads - iirc one was quite a huge pot too.

Of course, as CJ once said, no one ever actually wins on Eggheads, it's the other team losing. You can win unless the other team gets their questioin wrong.

And I wish Challengers would stop applauding themselves after they get a question right.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aferg01 wrote: »
    Gets my bloody back up that does. If you're over 40 and have less than average looks, you have no chance of getting on those shows.

Admittedly I don't see Eggheads all the time, only when I'm off work usually, but if those I do see are typical, those over 40 with less than average looks must form the majority of those going on these shows.

As for students, young people on average are always going to have less general knowledge than older people on average, since one picks knowledge up as one progresses through life. Nonetheless, some young people do have a good range of knowledge. Younger teams have beaten the Eggheads in the past, and others, though losing, have put up a stiff contest. No doubt they will again. So I don't see any merit in the OP's suggestion.