TV licences

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    I also have a T.V and an antenna but since I cannot receive BBC channels I have never had a licence.

The TV licence isn't for receiving the BBC - it's for receiving ANY live broadcast TV - so from what you've said so far, the TVL should be chasing you as you're avoiding paying the licence you require.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I also have a T.V and an antenna but since I cannot receive BBC channels I have never had a licence but I do get letters and the odd visit from the Licence guy trying to tell me I have to buy one.

Your post seems to imply that you are watching TV programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, albeit non BBC output.

That being the case then - as ludicrous as it is - you require a BBC TV licence.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV licence isn't for receiving the BBC - it's for receiving ANY live broadcast TV - so from what you've said so far, the TVL should be chasing you as you're avoiding paying the licence you require.

I cannot get any U.K channels due to location but can get a few channels from Ireland like RTE, since I receive no U.K channels I will not be paying for them. Should a U.K television transmitter appear that I can get a signal from then I am happy to pay but until then I will not.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post seems to imply that you are watching TV programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, albeit non BBC output.

That being the case then - as ludicrous as it is - you require a BBC TV licence.
    If you are going to give advice at least make sure what you say is actually correct.
    It is not a BBC TV Licence. It is a TV Licence, covering ALL TV in the UK, and controlled by the Government. The BBC are just the company responsible for the collection of the licence fee.
    I cannot get any U.K channels due to location but can get a few channels from Ireland like RTE, since I receive no U.K channels I will not be paying for them. Should a U.K television transmitter appear that I can get a signal from then I am happy to pay but until then I will not.
    To be fair you didn't say you couldn't receive any UK channels, you only said that you couldn't receive the BBC channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    If you are going to give advice at least make sure what you say is actually correct.
    It is not a BBC TV Licence. It is a TV Licence, covering ALL TV in the UK, and controlled by the Government. The BBC are just the company responsible for the collection of the licence fee.

To be fair you didn't say you couldn't receive any UK channels, you only said that you couldn't receive the BBC channels.
    Since a television licence only covers and guarantees BBC transmissions that is all that is of any relevance, that is why I stated BBC channels. If for example I did receive a signal I would still have to pay a licence even if I only received BBC channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since a television licence only covers and guarantees BBC transmissions that is all that is of any relevance, that is why I stated BBC channels. If for example I did receive a signal I would still have to pay a licence even if I only received BBC channels.
    No, it covers ALL UK transmissions, regardless of the channel.
    Not just the BBC channels.

People make the mistake that because the money levied from the TV Licence is used by the government to fund a Public Service Broadcaster, the BBC, that the licence only applies the BBC channels. Which is incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it covers ALL UK transmissions, regardless of the channel.
    Not just the BBC channels.

People make the mistake that because the money levied from the TV Licence is used by the government to fund a Public Service Broadcaster, the BBC, that the licence only applies the BBC channels. Which is incorrect.

No, I am correct. If I only receive BBC channels and no other u.k channels I still have to pay my licence as that is all the licence is legally obliged to supply, any other channels are a bonus. Since I receive no U.K channels at all I am not obliged to pay anything.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yes it is an exaggeration, a huge one in fact and there's also a number you can call

To call TV Licensing please use our phone number: 0300 790 6131

Opening hours:
    Monday to Friday - 8:30 to 18:30
    Saturday - 8:30 to 13:00
    Sunday and Bank Holidays - closed

Actually, no its not because i had similar. They are the most inept, inconsiderate rude fools i have ever had to deal with.

I explained i had no telly at the time yet i still had many visits and letters threatening court action. In the end i just ignored them and havent heard from them again.

But its rather rude for you to say its an exaggeration when you clearly have zero idea what these parasites are like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I am correct. If I only receive BBC channels and no other u.k channels I still have to pay my licence as that is all the licence is legally obliged to supply, any other channels are a bonus. Since I receive no U.K channels at all I am not obliged to pay anything.
    I misunderstood when you said. Now I see what you mean.

Given that we are now fully digital, and there are at least 3 multiplexs of channels broadcast on all UK transmitters, you would receive more than just the BBC channels, including the main 5 and selected other channels.

Have you never thought of satellite TV? Freesat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Actually, no its not because i had similar. They are the most inept, inconsiderate rude fools i have ever had to deal with.

I explained i had no telly at the time yet i still had many visits and letters threatening court action. In the end i just ignored them and havent heard from them again.

But its rather rude for you to say its an exaggeration when you clearly have zero idea what these parasites are like.
    Did you show them that you were incapable of watching live TV during one of their visits?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I misunderstood when you said. Now I see what you mean.

Given that we are now fully digital, and there are at least 3 multiplexs of channels broadcast on all UK transmitters, you would receive more than just the BBC channels, including the main 5 and selected other channels.

Have you never thought of satellite TV? Freesat.

I have thought of freesat but living on the coast the actual dish has a life of between a day and a month, I was just lucky to pick up Irish channels from a rooftop mounted antenna and amp which the wind and salt air has little effect on compared to a dish which would get knocked about a fair bit.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Did you show them that you were incapable of watching live TV during one of their visits?

During 3 yes. Many letters and many phone calls. Funny thing is, now i have a telly and no license they have never bothered me :D

They have never been known for being very intelligent to be honest!
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Not so sure this is true, do you have any official source to back it up?
    Forum Member

If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, and flies like a duck then I'm pretty certain of what it is however it may get dressed up.

Why, then, is the BBC responsible for licence fee collection and why is Capita's remit "to maximise revenue for the BBC"?

And how come, for example, ITV isn't responsible for licence fee collection? Or a consortium of broadcasters?

From the horses mouth:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13/

I now await a posse of posters to get on your case for calling the BBC a "company" as happened to me a while ago when I did the same thing.

Seems to me that the BBC is only "independent of government" when it suits.
    Forum Member
    Seems like Stiggles has had a similar experience to my own.

TVL™'s attitude towards me really got my back up.

They are not reasonable people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYS4r9ycN-o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suprised no one has mentioned the tv detector vans.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Suprised no one has mentioned the tv detector vans.

The same ones that can tell you what progs you are you are watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Your wrong, they refuse to make appointment, plus police advice is not to let stangers into your home. Please remember the people who come round are not law enforcement just sales people.

If someone from the Licencing bureau had been inundating me with letters and I was thoroughly peed off with them I would contact them and invite them to inspect my empty property - if just to stop the harassment. I never implied they were law enforcement of any kind. If I were never to let "strangers" into my home, despite being shown proper credentials and an appt then I would never get any repairs done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, as tim59 has already pointed out, it doesn't work like that :D

Then take legal advice if you feel they are ignoring your correspondence. Either put up with the harassment or do something about it, legally.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

The OP said 'I have today received a letter saying they are sending around the heavy mob (this is not an exaggeration)'

I've yet to see a letter from them using those words, have you? and for your information I had plenty of dealings with them in the past when I was licence dodging and I never experienced any rudeness, inconsideration or whatever so don't tell me I have zero idea of what they're like.

I'm willing to bet that your attitude towards them, as is evident here, got their backs up.
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    The same ones that can tell you what progs you are you are watching?

Dunno if this is tongue-in-cheek but I suspect not. They can't tell what progs you are watching. That's just propaganda.

It appears that they can't be 100% certain of a specific house. Indeed they actually "detected" TV reception at an empty house.
    If someone from the Licencing bureau had been inundating me with letters and I was thoroughly peed off with them I would contact them and invite them to inspect my empty property - if just to stop the harassment. I never implied they were law enforcement of any kind. If I were never to let "strangers" into my home, despite being shown proper credentials and an appt then I would never get any repairs done.

"Licensing bureau"?? :confused:

Do you mean Capita or the BBC?

I reluctantly let the guy in believing it would put a stop the harassment. It didn't!!
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why, then, is the BBC responsible for licence fee collection and why is Capita's remit "to maximise revenue for the BBC"?.

It used to be the POST OFFICE - but Parliament pointed out that this was not being very efficient
    ...and the BBC was more than a bit annoyed that what the public saw as being the LF income was having a lot taken off for collection
    (I think it was about 10+%)
    so it said we can do better! and it has done it is now under 5%...

If you were employing someone to collect money for you would you want them to "maximize your revenue....."
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Not so sure this is true, do you have any official source to back it up?

It's completely, 100%, absolutely WRONG!!!

The TV licence isn't for watching the BBC, it's for watching ANY live broadcast TV, from whatever source, and whatever country.

So a SECAM only TV, watching Russian TV via satellite, requires a licence just as much as watching the BBC does.

This is all VERY clearly explained on the TVL website.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Then take legal advice if you feel they are ignoring your correspondence. Either put up with the harassment or do something about it, legally.

Legal advice is simple, ignore them and bin there letters,you have do legal duty to deal with tv license, they are just like any other salespoeople, who have no legal right to come into your home. Do do not have to talk to them, if they come onto your property the law is on your side and tell them to leave. You do not have to give your name or any other informtion to them. Never sign any paper work. They have no more legal powers then you do, if they refuse to leave when told to then phone the police.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    We had this situation with my late uncle's house which took some time to sell, so it was unoccupied. A simple phone call to TVL (or I might have written a letter - I really can't remember now) was sufficient to sort it.

Unfortunately there are many people who are deliberately awkward with them and many more who simply ignore correspondence, which is why they have to word their letters in the way they do.

It sounds as if the OP might be in the latter category - 'a barrage of unnecessary abuse' suggests more than one letter. Well, if you ignore correspondence which needs to be dealt with, what do you expect?

this suggests that he is guilty until he proves innocence. thats the wrong way round and he shouldnt have to do it. in fact, he doesnt have to do it. he can ignore the letters, ignore any callers. they have to prove there is a tv in use in that house and if they cant do that, theres nothing they can do.