Options

Top UK Cardinal in Alleged Homosexual Scandal

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
Three priests and a former priest in Scotland have reported the most senior Catholic clergyman in Britain, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour stretching back 30 years.

O'Brien, who is due to retire next month, has been an outspoken opponent of gay rights, condemning homosexuality as immoral, opposing gay adoption, and most recently arguing that same-sex marriages would be "harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual well-being of those involved". Last year he was named "bigot of the year" by the gay rights charity Stonewall.

One of the complainants, it is understood, alleges that the cardinal developed an inappropriate relationship with him, resulting in a need for long-term psychological counselling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/23/cardinal-keith-o-brien-accused-inappropriate

I wonder where this story will lead... to the Vatican??

Comments

• Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked to hear this, about O'Brien of all people.

Wait...what's the opposite of shocked?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He gave me my confirmation name.
    Find it hard to believe.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a vote in the conclave and could be elected Pope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they being so vague about this? Was it a gay relationship or child abuse seen as he needed counselling.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Brien's a bell end. I hope it's true and he's in deep trouble. Tosser.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    Why are they being so vague about this? Was it a gay relationship or child abuse seen as he needed counselling.
    Sounds like sexual harassment of people over the age of consent (maybe - though it would have been 21 then) but with people who were in an unequal power relationship - he was basically their teacher.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has been rather obsessed with the gays.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there will be an official investigation to clear his name.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd hope so.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

I'd rather there was an official investigation to find out what actually happened, or not.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    O'Brien's a bell end. I hope it's true and he's in deep trouble. Tosser.

Vile excuse for a man of the cloth, not surprised by the allegations,
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    He has been rather obsessed with the gays.

Homophobes that are very vocal tend to be that way because of homosexual tendencies.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these priests / former priests have allegations to be made against this Cardinal, I do hope they will take them to the police.

Too many times this kind of abuse within the Roman Catholic Church has been hushed up and buried within the Vatican.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is one scandal after another with the Catholic church.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    What the same Keith O'Brian who said:about gay relationships:
    'such relationships are harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual well-being of those involved'.

Surely not! :D
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If these priests / former priests have allegations to be made against this Cardinal, I do hope they will take them to the police.

Too many times this kind of abuse within the Roman Catholic Church has been hushed up and buried within the Vatican.

You are only really in trouble with the Vatican if you have had an abortion after a rape or something like that.

If it's true, it's a glorious day for the 'he's probably a closet case' theory of homophobia. Sympathies to the victims though.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've long assumed that most of them are like that, so this news is no surprise to me.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've long assumed that most of them are like that, so this news is no surprise to me.

In reality, it's probably rare for a man to deliberately want to be celibate, and seeing that there's a distinct lack of women in those circles, I'd imagine it would attract gay men more.
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the sunshine world of Catholicism there's something new and interesting every day, isn't there?
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hard Cormac Murphy O'Connor talking about the RC's attitude of transparency on the news. Who can take the hierarchy of this organisation seriously?
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality, it's probably rare for a man to deliberately want to be celibate, and seeing that there's a distinct lack of women in those circles, I'd imagine it would attract gay men more.
    Though O'Brien has argued only last week that priests should be allowed to marry:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/22/marriage-ban-priest-pope-cardinal?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Of course, that's about heterosexual marriage. Could it be that the release of that story was intended to counter the one about his alleged homosexual behaviour in the past?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I hard Cormac Murphy O'Connor talking about the RC's attitude of transparency on the news. Who can take the hierarchy of this organisation seriously?

I imagine he enjoyed that. In a spiritual sense, obvs.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want to prejudge but what's with all these allegations of abuse dating back decades only coming out now? I'm not in favour of people being named until accusations have been proven, as if innocent the mud will stick.

That said if he's guilty then he should be de-frocked. Is that possible? :confused:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I imagine he enjoyed that. In a spiritual sense, obvs.
    As in being entered by the Holy Ghost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    As in being entered by the Holy Ghost?

Spectral spunk.