Options

Please read

mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I received this today. not sure if it has already been posted

Can you circulate this around especially as Christmas is fast approaching. It has been confirmed by Royal Mail.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:-

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0306 6611911 (a premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scan originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at:-

www.icstis.org.uk

or your local trading standards office. This is a genuine scan and is under investigation by ICSTIS

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scam or Scan?
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh I think it has already been posted

and I have heard of it through friends
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh lord, this was done a few days ago. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here you go.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=479017

That must have taken a whole minute to find. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Common sense would prevent anyone from calling the number, surely?
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No common sense would not come into it, I receive a card telling me package waiting for collection, not royal mail, but a courier company.

The company was genuine, it was my new passport, but I did not recognized the card, so anyone can fall for it.

I took the card to my local sorting office and they confirmed it is a gwnuine company
  • Options
    sarumsarum Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcal wrote:

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
    This is a genuine scan and is under investigation by ICSTIS

It may well be a genuine scam, but the part highlighted above is misinformation. The maximum possible charge for a premium rate number is £1.50 per minute; to incur a charge of £15.00 you would have to listen to the recorded message for 10 minutes. You cannot be charged £15.00 simply for connecting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why DS doesn't have a sticky thread for Paypal/Ebay/Royal Mail and Scams.
    It seems to me that every week the same threads just keep appearing, in fact I don't know why they don't just set up a sub forum, it would probably leave most of GD empty.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0306 number? Do they exist? My first thought was that it would be an international number, but it doesn't start with 00. And, obviously, £15 a minute numbers don't exist. So I'm inclined to believe this is entirely another "scare" email that's complete crap.

jack
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    julesT wrote:
    I don't know why DS doesn't have a sticky thread for Paypal/Ebay/Royal Mail and Scams.
    It seems to me that every week the same threads just keep appearing, in fact I don't know why they don't just set up a sub forum, it would probably leave most of GD empty.

Blimey and you've only just signed up :confused:
    Or were you a lurker for a few years.
  • Options
    intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Could you post more descriptive thread title next time so we don't all have to read this drivel.

We know there are scams out there, we don't need to be told all the time on internet forums... most people use common sense with these things and don't ring £1.50 a minute lines for something they haven't ordered.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the first time that I've heard of it. If there were previous threads relating to it, then I obviously didn't see them, and I very much doubt I am alone in that, so thanks OP for posting this. Ignore those who would rather criticise someone trying to help, than turn a blind eye to something they were already aware of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Pinkvelvet wrote:
    This is the first time that I've heard of it. If there were previous threads relating to it, then I obviously didn't see them, and I very much doubt I am alone in that, so thanks OP for posting this. Ignore those who would rather criticise someone trying to help, than turn a blind eye to something they were already aware of.

Exactly. Some members love an opportunity to have a pop at someone. Makes me wonder, if it was a long standing DS member which posted the warning, would they be so quick to jump and start rolling eyes? I dont think so.

Thankfully the scam is no more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote:

The problem is it's not true. The offending phone line was shut down over a year ago, which a simple search would have told the OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    waamo wrote:
    The problem is it's not true. The offending phone line was shut down over a year ago, which a simple search would have told the OP.

You knew that, others may not have. How exactly is it a problem?!
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waamo wrote:
    Why should he search to find out if its true? I don't double check the authenticity of every post I make, and I'm sure the majority of FMs don't either. All he was trying to do was warn people, if it's shut down then so much the better. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcal wrote:
    I received this today. not sure if it has already been posted

Can you circulate this around especially as Christmas is fast approaching. It has been confirmed by Royal Mail.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:-

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0306 6611911 (a premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scan originating from Belize.

If you do receive a card with these details then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at:-

www.icstis.org.uk

or your local trading standards office. This is a genuine scan and is under investigation by ICSTIS

Well I completely missed the first thread on the matter. So thanks for the info.

At any rate the original scam appears to have been resolved. But that's not to say another one can't be started. Incidentally, for those who haven't read it, it's not possible to be charged £15 instantly on a premium rate call. But I think it would be possible for them to clock up £1.50 for a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elliebee wrote:
    Exactly. Some members love an opportunity to have a pop at someone. Makes me wonder, if it was a long standing DS member which posted the warning, would they be so quick to jump and start rolling eyes? I dont think so.

Thankfully the scam is no more
    Exactly, and nobody forced the complainants to answer the OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    This person was just trying to warn others of this scam, so what if it has been posted before..who gives a shit? Thankyou for posting this and making more people aware.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a great idea for a scam, i wish i'd thought of that first :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trash80 wrote:

I was thinking that. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trash80 wrote:
    :eek: Have you no shame? :p
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Have you no shame? :p

no of course not
  • Options
    JoolieJoolie Posts: 8,336
    Forum Member
    roland rat wrote:
    No common sense would not come into it, I receive a card telling me package waiting for collection, not royal mail, but a courier company.

The company was genuine, it was my new passport, but I did not recognized the card, so anyone can fall for it.

I took the card to my local sorting office and they confirmed it is a gwnuine company

Is that Welsh? :D

Sorry..... seriously, if I got a card through the door, especially near Christmas when parcels can be expected, I would follow the instructions on the card without a second thought........ maybe that's just greed on my part, getting excited that someone has sent me something nice :)

I'll certainly bear it in mind.