The Chase USA on Challenge

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

“There are tons of subtle differences between the two shows which mean they have a different atmosphere,” Mark explains. “But perhaps the difference for me is that in the US it is my show. In the UK, I’m a bit player.”

http://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/the-chase-usa-exclusive-interview-with-mark-the-beast-labbett/

Yes Mark, it Is YOUR show and YOUR the star. You sold your soul to the devil and lost all integrity to chase the dollar. Well done.

The show will be cancelled after series one, guaranteed.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Yes Mark, it Is YOUR show and YOUR the star. You sold your soul to the devil and lost all integrity to chase the dollar. Well done.

The show will be cancelled after series one, guaranteed.

Is that in the US where they are about to record series 4 or on Challenge where they have bought the rights to series 1 and 2?
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    rory r wrote: »
    Seen this for the first time tonight, could only watch for 10 minutes then turned over. Awful host, questions too small, Mark tells you what he answered instead of it just coming up. Trust the Americans to waste a great UK show.

You missed out the 5 second countdown sound, during the head to head, when one locks-in. It feels totally flat and devoid of tension without it.
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Going by what i've seen they just want the novelty concept of having 'The Beast'. I've can't recall many times him being called The Chaser or Mark.

This really annoyed me. It sounds like she wants the show to be called 'The Beast' rather than The Chase. I've not heard her call him The Chaser or Mark once.
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    She certainly likes to shout. In the U.S.A, loud is considered best when it comes to newsreaders and presenters.

What a voice!!! She sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Don't think I'll be watching again I value my hearing too much.:o
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's show was not very entertaining at all. All 3 contestants survived the chase, seeming to find the multiple choice questions very easy, and amassed $180,000 between them. Then, rather predictably, they beat Mark (the chaser) and won this money, $60,000 each. I do like some high and lows in my viewing.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would have been one of Mark's worst days over there. I didn't see it, but was that the one where he bangs both fists on the table? Figures, if it was.
    In contrast to the edition screened at the end of last week, where two contestants got through, but were caught in the Final Chase. Am unable to remember the amount of cash they banked.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The host is like someones mad aunt who's had one drink too many.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Mark constantly fiddling with his cuffs? He doesn't do this on the UK version. Nervous? He should be. He is out of his depth with these American tailored questions. It's clear he doesn't know enough about American culture.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The host is like someones mad aunt who's had one drink too many.

I know she's irritating but I wouldn't say no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    That would have been one of Mark's worst days over there. I didn't see it, but was that the one where he bangs both fists on the table? Figures, if it was.
    In contrast to the edition screened at the end of last week, where two contestants got through, but were caught in the Final Chase. Am unable to remember the amount of cash they banked.

You realise its all scripted and "panto" ?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Chase USA I reckon I'd stand a chance against Mark.
    I certainly wouldn't feel as confident on the UK version.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched 10 minutes of this and had to turn over. I love the UK version and Bradley Walsh cracks me up but this US version is utterly dire. I couldn't even read the questions without getting close up to the TV, what's that all about :confused:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    I've just watched 10 minutes of this and had to turn over. I love the UK version and Bradley Walsh cracks me up but this US version is utterly dire. I couldn't even read the questions without getting close up to the TV, what's that all about :confused:
    Possibly to do with onscreen graphics on the US channel.
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I watched a few episodes at the weekend. I agree that Mark was out of his depth with some of the American questions.

The host is very shouty. I do miss Bradley Walsh's sense of humour.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I've only see bits of 2 shows.
    I don't think it's dire, but...
    the intro is far too drawn out,
    on screen graphics are too small, I can't read the question,
    I really miss the 5 second suspense when answering,
    no Bradley :(
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,246
    Forum Member
    Mark came down from his high perch at the end of last week, he must be about 7 feet tall!

As for the show, it needs new Chasers (Anne Hegerty, John Carpenter) to freshen it up. And less over the top drama, it's only a quiz show at the end of the day.
  • oddballoddball Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Assume it's recorded in HD...

I'd be pretty sure of it too. American SD is all in 4:3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chronic, over the top, embarrassing. I hope Mark makes lots of cash but it's almost unwatchable. Saw Paul Sinha in standup last Sat. and wanted ask him if he was sorry or not to have missed out on transatlantic fame. By the way he is very funny, rattles off lots of stories.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    I watched it on mute last night as I wanted to see the questions when it was the chase and I couldn't be bothered with the woman, I get that it's changed for the us market but part of the fun of the chase is watching Bradley fall apart when he reads some of the names. Doubt that happens in the us one.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    I watched it on mute last night as I wanted to see the questions when it was the chase and I couldn't be bothered with the woman, I get that it's changed for the us market but part of the fun of the chase is watching Bradley fall apart when he reads some of the names. Doubt that happens in the us one.

Agreed, can't see there being the same reaction if there is ever a question about Fanny Chmelar. :D
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Contestants must be all hand picked on the us version, there are no thickoes that go for the low amount, plus make knowledge of american culture isn't as strong so it hard to beat them.haven't seen Mark win any final chase yet, no wonder he is getting frustrated banging on the desk!
  • david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the uk the chase. But im unsure of the usa one, i watched it other day and something just doesnt feel right. Might just be me!.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Contestants must be all hand picked on the us version, there are no thickoes that go for the low amount, plus make knowledge of american culture isn't as strong so it hard to beat them.haven't seen Mark win any final chase yet, no wonder he is getting frustrated banging on the desk!

It is well documented the US players are quiz experts who know there stuff.

They wanted the show to be Beauty & The Beast, if you look at the link earlier in the thread Mark likes that it's his show and doesn't want any other chasers.

It is probably a challenge for him to learn American culture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It is well documented the US players are quiz experts who know there stuff.

They wanted the show to be Beauty & The Beast, if you look at the link earlier in the thread Mark likes that it's his show and doesn't want any other chasers.

It is probably a challenge for him to learn American culture.

Of course Mark likes it, he's fame hungry and wants all the money and spotlight to himself. The fact that he is happy to be called "the beast" based on his physical appearence shows how little self respect he has for himself. I feel sad for him.