Options

Is Nick Robinson becoming the new Andrew Gillighan?

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
For those who don't remember, Andrew Gillighan was the "journalist" who almost brought down the BBC in 2003 by reporting his opinions as fact.

Nick Robinson, political editor of the BBC and former chairman of the Young Conservatives, has now been accused of distorting the news to give a one sided view in favour of the No campaign.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/bbc-reporter-caught-red-handed-manipulating-video-in-scottish-indy-campaign/
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-independence-nasty-nick-robinson-cant-hook-alex-salmond-in-full-flow-9727679.html

It seems that he has basically been at a press conference where he asked Alex Salmond a question to which he was given a 3 minute reply. He then went and made a report where he edited out the reply and accused Salmond of not giving a reply.

We know that Nick Robinson is generally respected by both the left and right for his reporting despite his political past, but has his bias and support for Westminster clouded his judgement and is it helping to diminish the BBC reputation for impartial journalism?

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Probably. I cannot stand him and never have done. I get all my news from the internet these days anyway so I don't have to see the hand-waving fools on BBC, Ch4 and Sky.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me guess. Nick Robinson has said something you don't like?

Re: Pride's Purge: Factually incorrect - at no stage did Alex Salmond answer the specific question about "Why should a Scottish voter believe you a politician, against men who are responsible for billions of pounds of profit".

And it was a 7 minute answer btw - which Salmond stage managed as an opportunity to take a swipe at the BBC with a ridiculously trumped up charge. Presumably they're not fawning over him as much as he'd like.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    And it was a 7 minute answer btw - which Salmond stage managed as an opportunity to take a swipe at the BBC with a ridiculously trumped up charge. Presumably they're not fawning over him as much as he'd like.

Which Nick suggested Alex didn't give:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enrdDaf3uss

Yes Nick was slapped down first.. but Alex then went on to answer the questions put to him. So why is Nick reporting the questions weren't answered?

I began to go off Nick during the EU elections when I saw his reporting of UKIP.

I think Nick is falling into the age old trap of allowing the story to be about HIM rather than about the substance of the story.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me guess. Nick Robinson has said something you don't like?

Re: Pride's Purge: Factually incorrect - at no stage did Alex Salmond answer the specific question about "Why should a Scottish voter believe you a politician, against men who are responsible for billions of pounds of profit".

the question was a false premise, Salmond was saying the same as the bankers, just not the same as the BBC was reporting what the bankers said.

Salmond answered by saying he wasnt contradicting the bankers as there was nothing to contradict.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,590
    Forum Member
    I watched the press conference which had been set up primarily for foreign media to question AS At the time it was being shown on BBC News in a break in the Oscar P trial
    Nick Robinson tried to get a question in a few times by butting in IMO I believe he wanted his question to go out live and he seemed very determined to get it in AS told him a couple of times to hang on and that it was for overseas journalists so I believe there is bad blood between the two of them
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It's quite obvious the BBC is opposed to Scottish independence. And it shows!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    It's quite obvious the BBC is opposed to Scottish independence. And it shows!

apart from any pro-establishment leanings they have, they raise 320m in Scotland and spend only 175m in Scotland

thats £145m a year disappearing from their English budget
  • Options
    Forum Member
    apart from any pro-establishment leanings they have, they raise 320m in Scotland and spend only 175m in Scotland

You seen that new building they got in Glasgow? That must have cost a years worth of Eastenders Massive it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You seen that new building they got in Glasgow? That must have cost a years worth of Eastenders Massive it is

188m it cost

7 months of its scottish revenue
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you'll be happy if none of the BBC's general programming is available to Scotland post-independence and all your fellow countrymen will as well?

Or is the BBC expected to continue to provide you with this but for no payment?
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who don't remember, Andrew Gillighan was the "journalist" who almost brought down the BBC in 2003 by reporting his opinions as fact.

Nick Robinson, political editor of the BBC and former chairman of the Young Conservatives, has now been accused of distorting the news to give a one sided view in favour of the No campaign.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/bbc-reporter-caught-red-handed-manipulating-video-in-scottish-indy-campaign/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-independence-nasty-nick-robinson-cant-hook-alex-salmond-in-full-flow-9727679.html

It seems that he has basically been at a press conference where he asked Alex Salmond a question to which he was given a 3 minute reply. He then went and made a report where he edited out the reply and accused Salmond of not giving a reply.

We know that Nick Robinson is generally respected by both the left and right for his reporting despite his political past, but has his bias and support for Westminster clouded his judgement and is it helping to diminish the BBC reputation for impartial journalism?

Gilligan was substantially right. Blair, Campbell et al sexed up the intelligence.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member

Thats a ridiculous question to put to anybody: "Why should a voter believe you a politician...?"

Its designed to oblige the politician to give a defensive answer. A no-win situation.

If questioners want proper answers they should phrase their questions correctly, not phrase them in that sly manner.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen Nick Robinson and the Great Soprendo in the same room? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous question to put to anybody: "Why should a voter believe you a politician...?"

Its designed to oblige the politician to give a defensive answer. A no-win situation.

If questioners want proper answers they should phrase their questions correctly, not phrase them in that sly manner.

Sorry, Angarrack - I can't agree. I think it's perfectly valid question and I also think Salmond could have answered it to his advantage. The question is basically asking why voters should believe him, as opposed to those who are actually responsible for the business that Scotland will depend so heavily on. It's obviously valid because he appears to be saying something different to them and both sets of differing opinions are appearing side by side in the media so let's get to the bottom of it....

Salmond's reply should have been along the lines of "because I've got a lot more faith in the Scottish markets and in the determination of Scottish people to get behind their new country and help to grow those markets than they do." As it was, he was hell-bent on tearing Robinson a new one - this, laughably, from a man who likes to moan about bullying - and avoided answering it altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    So you'll be happy if none of the BBC's general programming is available to Scotland post-independence and all your fellow countrymen will as well?

Or is the BBC expected to continue to provide you with this but for no payment?

they charge Ireland 20m a year for all BBC output,except iplayer

a similar charge would apply to Scotland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they charge Ireland 20m a year for all BBC output,except iplayer

a similar charge would apply to Scotland

Charge who in Ireland? Link, please...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charge who in Ireland? Link, please...

RTE

here's there accounts
    http://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/2012-english-annual-report-for-the-web.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks - appreciated, but I being thick and can't find the charge. Apologies for pushing you but which page?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks - appreciated, but I being thick and can't find the charge. Apologies for pushing you but which page?

page 92
    acquired programs, overseas 25,179,000 euros
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    page 92
    acquired programs, overseas 25,179,000 euros

That's not a license to have all BBC channels. It's what RTE have paid TV companies around the world for content that they will broadcast on their network.

The BBC only license some of their programs to RTE. The latest deal between the two was agreed in February this year.

ETA. I've just found out where you got this nonsense from: Wings over Scotland - right? There's a comment halfway down the page that says it far better than I ever could.
    What crap. Its true Ireland buy in several BBC programs, but BBC is not universally available via Irelands terrestrial service.

The only way to get all the BBC channels is to either purchase Sky or one of the cable services (such as UPC) or to purchase a Freesat box (and a larger size dish) which is not strictly legal.

Here is a list of all the channels provided by Irelands equivalent of Freeview (since Analog signals are now turned off).

http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/saorview-channels/

Most Irish TV listings cover BBC/ITV/C4 because most Irish have Sky or Cable since Irelands own service sucks.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I have to profoundly disagree. I have seen quite a lot of the BBC News and Sky News coverage of the Scottish independence referendum and I think that both news channels are doing a good job. Not only that, I've not been able to find fault with any of the correspondents covering this matter for either the BBC or Sky News.

I appreciate that this issue is an emotive subject for many people on both sides of the independence debate but I just don't see any overt bias for or against Scottish independence.
  • Options
    Lady DynorodLady Dynorod Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Gilligan. And he was to all reasonable people, completely right.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Sorry, Angarrack - I can't agree. I think it's perfectly valid question and I also think Salmond could have answered it to his advantage. The question is basically asking why voters should believe him, as opposed to those who are actually responsible for the business that Scotland will depend so heavily on. It's obviously valid because he appears to be saying something different to them and both sets of differing opinions are appearing side by side in the media so let's get to the bottom of it....

Salmond's reply should have been along the lines of "because I've got a lot more faith in the Scottish markets and in the determination of Scottish people to get behind their new country and help to grow those markets than they do." As it was, he was hell-bent on tearing Robinson a new one - this, laughably, from a man who likes to moan about bullying - and avoided answering it altogether.

I think its a valid question if phrased correctly but I find the arrogance of some of the TV presenters in their phrasing of questions counter productive.

They treat the whole thing as a game in which they aim to score points off the interviewee.

If the politician interviewee responds to tv presenters in like manner (i.e. as in a sparring game) they can hardly complain.

'Ask a silly question and you get a silly reply'. Or in this case, ask a loaded (or aggressive) question and you will get a politician's evasive or diversionary answer.
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a license to have all BBC channels. It's what RTE have paid TV companies around the world for content that they will broadcast on their network.

The BBC only license some of their programs to RTE. The latest deal between the two was agreed in February this year.

ETA. I've just found out where you got this nonsense from: Wings over Scotland - right? There's a comment halfway down the page that says it far better than I ever could.

I'm in Dublin right now watching BBC 2 and if I wish could turn it over to BBC 1, 3 or 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm in Dublin right now watching BBC 2 and if I wish could turn it over to BBC 1, 3 or 4.

Aw don't go and spoil all the scary stuff