Options

matt gets better and better

rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
Forum Member
Has matt exceeded anyone else expectations? I was really underwhelmed when he was announced as the new doctor on confidential. He'd not done all that much before and just looked way too young. He is one of the best doctor who's in the whole of its history now I shall be sad to see him depart from the role whenever that may be.

Comments

• Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I thought Matt in Asylum was very Ten like in the way he was apologetic and even over excitable.

I love how current actors can get in former doctors personalities when needed. Mark of a great actor.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been prepared for Tennant's departure for some time, Matt's fast paced first scene already had me very excited for what was to come.

He delivered massively in The Eleventh Hour and needed no further assurance that he would be a great Doctor. Biggest kudos from me comes for his ability to really switch between different emotions and moods in the blink of an eye and make it believable.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith is not an actor - he's the real Doctor - you can tell by the chin.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith was not a new name to me when he was announced as the Eleventh Doctor. I had previously seen him in other TV productions, most notably playing JIm Taylor in "Ruby In The Smoke" and "Shadow Of The North", and so I knew he was going to be a brilliant Doctor ... and I was right!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Matt from the first, and thought the role of the Doctor fitted him like a glove, but as he's gone on he has developed a real brilliance. He is amazing, whether doing comedy, high emotion or deep anger.

He is also excellent in his roles outside DW. I'm sure he has a shining future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Matt is utterly fantastic. His performances as the Doctor can be incredibly endearing, I just want to hug him most of the time, and yet I also find him to be the most threatening of the new Doctors... Maybe I'm alone in that opinion! For example, a line of his that always lingers in my head is from 'The Impossible Astronaut' where River, Rory and Amy are trying to keep his future from him and the Doctor warns them 'Don't play games with me. Don't ever, ever think you're capable of that.' honestly freaked me out!
    Matt is amazing.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I've said it before. I had confidence they wouldn't totally miscast, but I did wonder whether such a young person would get the "old" thing right. Or rather, the thing about the Doctor coming across quickly as a credible authority figure to a bunch of strangers shortly after first meeting them.

Obviously no such worries.

I can't put my finger on it, but he seems to be even more "Doctorish" this series than ever. Only two episodes in so far, I know. And, no, I can't describe "Doctorish". Good job these telly making people can show us it.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The best Doctor of the revived series. Ecclestone was good, Tennant was good, but their interpretations didn't make me think "this is the same old geezer who has been knocking about the universe for centuries". Matt totally does. I can believe he is the same man who fought the Daleks in The Daleks Invasion of Earth, or the same man in Tomb of The Cybermen, or Genesis of The Daleks.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    I think Matt is utterly fantastic. His performances as the Doctor can be incredibly endearing, I just want to hug him most of the time, and yet I also find him to be the most threatening of the new Doctors... Maybe I'm alone in that opinion! For example, a line of his that always lingers in my head is from 'The Impossible Astronaut' where River, Rory and Amy are trying to keep his future from him and the Doctor warns them 'Don't play games with me. Don't ever, ever think you're capable of that.' honestly freaked me out!
    Matt is amazing.

You are not alone in your opinion!:D

The way Matt delivers some of his lines makes a shiver run down my spine. The one you quoted, and also when he was taliing to River in that episode "Trust you? Really?" Scary!!

At other times I find I have a big grin on my face, just seeing him on the screen!
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    The best Doctor of the revived series. Ecclestone was good, Tennant was good, but their interpretations didn't make me think "this is the same old geezer who has been knocking about the universe for centuries". Matt totally does. I can believe he is the same man who fought the Daleks in The Daleks Invasion of Earth, or the same man in Tomb of The Cybermen, or Genesis of The Daleks.

There's that moment in The Big Bang when he's saying '...the bluest blue...' where he honestly turns into the First Doctor. Then when he's off talking with Jo in the SJA it's clear that the Third Doctor is somewhere 'in there'. Then there's the Second and Sixth Doctor moments, Fourth and Fifth....... They're all bloody in there, and not in a forced way as in Castrovalva. They're not imitations.
  • Options
    DormouseDormouse Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's an exceptionally nuanced actor - staggeringly good to watch.

He will, at some point, move on to other - and arguably greater - things, but in the meantime, we're lucky to have him.

I'm seeing One and Two coming through particularly strongly this series so far.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Chris Eccleston was the Doctor, I thought: "this is how the Doctor should be played". When David Tennant took over the role, I thought: "THIS is how the Doctor should be played"...And then came along Matt Smith - and guess what I'm thinking..? :)

Matt is excellent in the role, and although a lot of people thought he had big boots to fill when he replaced Tennant, I think that when Matt hangs up his bow tie, the next person to take on the role REALLY has thier work cut out for him (or her ;)) self...
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my favourite Doctor so far
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    What he's really good at is playing a very old man behind the eyes.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    I'd like to hear the doctors voice under a russell t davies episode just to hear his take on matt. He is very much the same man of the classic series which I really never quite felt before. When he was in the caves in the dinosaurs episode and he has been wonnderful in asylum. He's so talented as an actor.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I'd like to hear the doctors voice under a russell t davies episode just to hear his take on matt. He is very much the same man of the classic series which I really never quite felt before. When he was in the caves in the dinosaurs episode and he has been wonnderful in asylum. He's so talented as an actor.

Check out the SJA episodes that Matt is in. 11th Doctor written by RTD. "Death of the Doctor," parts 1 and 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt is MY doctor....adore him in so many ways!!!
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took a while In my opinion for David to really hit his stride but I think Matt from the first scene was excellent.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    It took a while In my opinion for David to really hit his stride but I think Matt from the first scene was excellent.

I'd say from the beginning of The Eleventh Hour myself.

His scene at the end of TEOT felt a little forced to me and I was surprised to find out afterwards that this was filmed later than much of S5.

He is my favourite new era Doctor so far though, the Fifth being "MY" Doctor as it were.
  • Options
    jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »

Yes - agreed. There's a depth to his portrayal which has slowly eclipsed all my previously 'favourite' incarnations...

He is, sublimely, the sum of all his pasts...
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's up there with Tom Baker for me. I personally think that Doctor Who is having a golden period during the Moffat/Smith era ... and long may it continue.

I'm a bit of a natural pessimist so I worry what will happen to the series when they both move on. I don't think any of the other show writers have staked a decent claim on being the next show runner yet.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    He's up there with Tom Baker for me. I personally think that Doctor Who is having a golden period during the Moffat/Smith era ... and long may it continue.

I'm a bit of a natural pessimist so I worry what will happen to the series when they both move on. I don't think any of the other show writers have staked a decent claim on being the next show runner yet.

Maybe Toby Whitehouse? I quite enjoyed the God Complex. Otherwise I agree, a lot of the stories in the last couple of years have been excellent but all the best ones IMHO have been written by Moffat - The Eleventh Hour, The Angels two-parter, The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang, The Opening Silence two-parter, Let's Kill Hitler, The Wedding of River Song and Asylum have for me all been amazing and none of the other episodes in the last 7 years can match them apart from the Library two-parter (ah another Moffat) and Doomsday. (Before anyone starts I'm not looking to spark another RTD Moff debate merely stating my favourite eps)
  • Options
    col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I absolutely adore matt and he is up there with the great Tom baker for me but i really do miss his style from his first series.
    I cant put my finger on it but he had a certain friendly magical charm during that first year who used to show warmth and joy with a glint in his eyes.
    I suppose when i look back on the old days,each doctor has changed radically during their tenures.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    There's that moment in The Big Bang when he's saying '...the bluest blue...' where he honestly turns into the First Doctor. Then when he's off talking with Jo in the SJA it's clear that the Third Doctor is somewhere 'in there'. Then there's the Second and Sixth Doctor moments, Fourth and Fifth....... They're all bloody in there, and not in a forced way as in Castrovalva. They're not imitations.

There's the bit at the start of The Beast Below when he's in the Tardis explaining what Starship Great Britain is to Amy and he puts the tips of his fingers together just like Troughton. Like you say, it was totally unforced, but there for those who would recognize it. I knew then that he was going to be wonderful
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt is doing really well as The Doctor. He deserves a big pat on the back and some sweeties.:D