Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Lucky? The man has won 2 La Liga titles, a Champions League, 2 Uefa Cups, the FA Cup and also Warnock's speciality, a couple of second division promotions.

Some luck that is.

Yes I heard that too - struck me as sour grapes. I got the feeling he feels Benitez has got the plum jobs and got the titles - whilst he never got the break(s).

Personally I'd watch a Benitez team over a Warnock team anyday.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky? The man has won 2 La Liga titles, a Champions League, 2 Uefa Cups, the FA Cup and also Warnock's speciality, a couple of second division promotions.

Some luck that is.

Totally agree. He came across as petty and mean spirited.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    He claimed, witheringly that Rafa Benitez is a lucky manager. I presume he has a feud still simmering from his days as Sheffiled Utd manager?

Colin's a small minded little Englander who prefers to blame Benitez instead of his own failings in getting Sheffield United relegated. The only mistake QPR made in sacking him was not doing it earlier.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    Totally agree. He came across as petty and mean spirited.

I know they have previous but to call him lucky is plain wrong. I'm not a huge Benitez fan but I know he's won big trophies in his career, and not always with the biggest clubs. That takes skill.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    I don't agree about Saggars and the Lions coverage, he spent half the time shouting at Brian Moore like he does at Stan Collymore and you could almost hear the :rolleyes: in Brian's voice as he tried to explain calmly and quietly why he was wrong, but Brian ended up having to almost shout to stop Saggars' screeching from interrupting his point.

I end up screaming at the radio in frustration because he winds me up so much. He was so a anti-Welsh, pro-English during the Lions, it wasn't even funny.

As a supporter of the Wales rugby union team, I didn't get the impression that Mark Saggers was being anti-Welsh during talkSPORT's coverage of the Lions at all. If anything he was vehemently pro-Lions, but I didn't feel he was pushing the case of English players as opposed to their Welsh/Celtic counterparts at any point while I was listening.

One of the things that impressed me about talkSPORT's coverage of the tour was the measured and level headed way in which they discussed Warren Gatland's matchday squad for the Third Test Match and the non-selection of Brian O'Driscoll, in sharp contrast to so much of the rest of the broadcast and written media (Ian Robertson in particular was memorably vociferous and ended up looking like a right turnip the way things played out). So I can't agree with your criticisms of Mark Saggers here at all.

I say that having been someone who was among his most vocal critics on here during talkSPORT's Rugby World Cup coverage in 2011, where I went as far as saying that he was the clear weak link of their team due to him frequently losing his rag over England's travails. But in the intervening two years I think he has improved and for me he was a lot more calm and measured during their Lions tour coverage, where I thought he was an assured and effective presenter. That being said, he was perhaps helped by a successful Lions team, who won not only the Test series but eight games out of ten on tour and played some fabulous rugby.

I tend to find he's at his worst when the chips are down for the "home nation" sides, when he does actually have something to moan about, but when things are going well (see also his shows during the Olympics, and even during Euro 2012 given that the expectations for England were so low going into the tournament) he sounds a lot more professional.

Having said that...
    Thanks for replying, I'm not a huge rugby fan so I can't comment too much on that, maybe if the station got regular live rugby then Saggers is the man to host that.

I wouldn't want to hear Mark Saggers presenting regular live rugby union on talkSPORT if I'm honest - Andrew McKenna does an excellent job of anchoring Full Contact, as did his predecessor Mike Bovill and Russell Hargreaves has done well when covering for Macca on that show recently. I'd favour all three of them, and perhaps Georgie Bingham too (who knows her stuff and did well fronting their Premiership Grand Final coverage in the summer), ahead of Saggers.

That being said, I think this is a moot point. Saggers seems to be their main choice of anchorman for their biggest live events these days (not just major football and rugby union but also the live boxing they covered last year and their programmes from near the Olympic Park during London 2012), but in any case I don't think they'll ever pick up rights to do significant live rugby union outside of future Rugby World Cups and British & Irish Lions tours. I know there has been some talk of UTV Radio being interested in winning the rights to the Six Nations somewhere down the line, but realistically it would be difficult to schedule live commentaries from that satisfactorily around their expensive and far more frequent Premier League and FA Cup football commentaries (unless they were to split and/or pick up more analogue frequencies or DAB platforms).
    I can only go on Kick-Off on Monday nights (Tues and Weds aren't so bad as there is usually plenty of matches going on to cover) and Sunday Exclusive, where all we get is shouting down of the other person, and as someone said earlier the same debates over and over again, be it ticket prices, foreign players, foreign managers, foreign owners (bit of a theme developing).

I think he's absolutely fine on Kick Off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and here he can be an asset to the station. As you say, these nights tend to be busy evenings of football and he drive the Around the Grounds format in a competent manner. While he perhaps doesn't quite have the level of knowledge Adrian Durham and Ian Danter have, he's a massive step up from his predecessor Danny Kelly on these shows who - for as much as I love what he brings to the table in different areas - really struggled to get to grips with updating multiple scores, scorers, incidents etc from The Football League at pace, despite the amount of energy and enthusiasm he gave it, when he chaired these shows. Also, on here he tends to be paired with pundits like Alvin Martin, Ray Parlour and Matt Holland who are less combative than Stan Collymore is and less inclined to get into a massive argument about particular issues. They can debate their corners but aren't nearly as prone to getting drawn into a slanging match.

The bottom line is that you know what you are going to get with Saggers and Collymore, although I do think they have warmed to each other as pairing over the years (initially the programmes they presented together were really tense). But for me Collymore works far better with Danny Kelly and Saggers usually sounds a lot more respectable with other pundits. That said, I can see why talkSPORT pair them on Monday nights in order to get a debate going against a live Premier League commentary on the other side, it's different and it seems to be very successful in attracting listener contributions via the phones, texts and Tweets. But this kind of presentation really isn't necessary for live Premier League coverage, especially now on Sundays with them only having half an hour either side of their 1.30pm games to have any kind of discussion.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Drive Time, reading the sports bulletins last night and chipping into the non-league section was Ben Fletcher, who I believe is one of the production team on Drive Time. He was very knowledgeable about his club Woking and the Conference in general and sounded like a very intelligent bloke.

I haven't yet heard of a 'very intelligent bloke' supporting Woking, It must be a first? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Im just wondering how many times in an hour you hear the word talksport mentioned on station,listen for an hour today and lost count at 20,surely someone else thinks this is just ridiculous,surely theres some sort of regulations they have to follow and not say it every bloody 10 seconds.We know what stupid station we are listening too.
  • delboy1953delboy1953 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Arsenal top of the league and playing well ,Daily Arsenal cancelled ,no material.

Not likely Durham confirms Arsenal ladies have lost the league to Liverpool ladies.

Invites the Liverpool coach on to the Daily Arsenal to discuss Arsenals downfall.

Heads gone. heads gone:rolleyes:
  • ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I was driving home yesterday morning I just caught the last 5mins of a guy called Alan who was phoning the Colin Murray show. It was a great story of when he was 16 & he made his way to Glasgow to see his heroes Celtic. He ran out of time telling what was a long story, but I think they are going to invite him back to finish it.
    From what I heard it was interesting & I look forward to hearing the rest.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's absolutely fine on Kick Off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and here he can be an asset to the station. As you say, these nights tend to be busy evenings of football and he drive the Around the Grounds format in a competent manner. While he perhaps doesn't quite have the level of knowledge Adrian Durham and Ian Danter have, he's a massive step up from his predecessor Danny Kelly on these shows who - for as much as I love what he brings to the table in different areas - really struggled to get to grips with updating multiple scores, scorers, incidents etc from The Football League at pace, despite the amount of energy and enthusiasm he gave it, when he chaired these shows..
    Although I hold Danny Kelly in the highest regard, I'd agree with this. Reading out lists of Europa League scores is a waste of his talents and he wasn't best suited to it. I maintain that the Sportsbar slot or pre-match at the weekends (the Vaughan/Rushden desert) would suit him.
  • hiawathahiawatha Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brazil this morning:
    "Hello ta Jim Smith,howarye doin' in Woodstock"
    Jim: "I live in Spain"
    DOH!!!!
    "Steve McLaren's wife a Derby girl"
    Jim: "No, she's from Yorkshire"
    DOH!!!!
    Brazil must be one of the least prepared presenter on radio, (along with Quinn,Cundy,Goffy etc) who together typify TS slapstick approach to the facts.
    They haven't a clue.
    Does ex office boy Liam ever listen to the output or is he fully occupied reading the Spurs Daily?
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry12 wrote: »
    Im just wondering how many times in an hour you hear the word talksport mentioned on station,listen for an hour today and lost count at 20,surely someone else thinks this is just ridiculous,surely theres some sort of regulations they have to follow and not say it every bloody 10 seconds.We know what stupid station we are listening too.

Think it's pure insecurity they feel the need to continually publicise themselves to the hilt and they clearly don't because how could the listener never know he/she is listening to talksport with all the never ending childish commercials and bad presenters they are out there on their own talksport are and people don't need any confirmation at all who they are tuned into to. :D
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hiawatha wrote: »
    Brazil this morning:
    "Hello ta Jim Smith,howarye doin' in Woodstock"
    Jim: "I live in Spain"
    DOH!!!!
    "Steve McLaren's wife a Derby girl"
    Jim: "No, she's from Yorkshire"
    DOH!!!!
    Brazil must be one of the least prepared presenter on radio, (along with Quinn,Cundy,Goffy etc) who together typify TS slapstick approach to the facts.
    They haven't a clue.
    Does ex office boy Liam ever listen to the output or is he fully occupied reading the Spurs Daily?

Isn't it fairly common knowledge that he doesn't watch that much football, either live or on TV?

Hardly befits a presenter for a flagship show.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardly befits a presenter for a flagship show.

Well he must be doing something right, they've even named the show after him !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some might say I'm going back into the past but that's not always a bad thing especially concerning talksport with so many poor presenters there now. James Whale for all his ego and bluster is still a mighty fine radio presenter, removed from LBC he's now taken the Jon Gaunt route and is now broadcasting internet radio which is such a shame for such a great presenter.
    I figure with the very few options available to him of continuing London based national radio he probably would have jumped at the chance of returning back into the fold at 1089 especially with TS now under a different management from when he was outed but alas talksport have gone 100% the sport (football) route so might as well just forget all about old Whaley and Ash ever returning again. :(:cry:

We all want 24 hour football driving into our ears yea.

>

>

>

>

>
    not. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    What other job can you come in pissed,mr brazil you have it so lucky,read a few trailers that obvious adverstise talkshit,ask a few prepared questions to guests,all between constant ads and plugs you do a good job mr brazil,your time wil come.
    Forum Member
    Got talkshit on and its like 2 mins and they have never mentioned what a shit station im listening to,hold on its 5 live no wonder different class.
  • jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Some might say I'm going back into the past but that's not always a bad thing especially concerning talksport with so many poor presenters there now. James Whale for all his ego and bluster is still a mighty fine radio presenter, removed from LBC he's now taken the Jon Gaunt route and is now broadcasting internet radio which is such a shame for such a great presenter.
    I figure with the very few options available to him of continuing London based national radio he probably would have jumped at the chance of returning back into the fold at 1089 especially with TS now under a different management from when he was outed but alas talksport have gone 100% the sport (football) route so might as well just forget all about old Whaley and Ash ever returning again. :(:cry:

We all want 24 hour football driving into our ears yea.

>

>

>

>

>
    not. :rolleyes:

These things go in cycles, who's to say in a few years time they won't go back to that sort of thing, especially if as I would predict the fees for broadcasting the Premier league go through the roof, or Sky launch their own service. TS would have to look at other formats.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These things go in cycles, who's to say in a few years time they won't go back to that sort of thing, especially if as I would predict the fees for broadcasting the Premier league go through the roof, or Sky launch their own service. TS would have to look at other formats.

Whatever happens Whale or Gaunty won't be back, you can get away with people breaching the rules a few times, but if you let them back on and they do it again, you'll get fined massively, not worth the risk.

Personally I'm glad, no doubt Whale could be a great broadcaster, but like Collins and Gaunty, they just kept repeating themselves again and again.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happens Whale or Gaunty won't be back, you can get away with people breaching the rules a few times, but if you let them back on and they do it again, you'll get fined massively, not worth the risk.

Personally I'm glad, no doubt Whale could be a great broadcaster, but like Collins and Gaunty, they just kept repeating themselves again and again.

James Whale is never coming back to TS. He broke a cardinal rule of broadcasting but inviting his listeners to vote for a certain political candidate three days before a very important election .. oh dear .. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Under no circumstances ever would I want Jon Gaunt back no thanks but I would like JW back if they still did late evening and ovenight current affairs I always thought Whale was the king of late night radio.
    Jamie's right if talksport ever get outbid for broadcasting live premier league football they'd surely struggle for listeners and when they turned in desperation to the Football League for coverage I would hope they told them where to shove their biased station for all the cover they've not given them over the years, not live game broadcast but daily show cover it's practically zero. :(
    Then they might have to fetch back current affairs to fill the 24 hour schedule. :)

Yes you're right I'm an optimist. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    James Whale is never coming back to TS. He broke a cardinal rule of broadcasting but inviting his listeners to vote for a certain political candidate three days before a very important election .. oh dear .. :o

Worse 'crimes' have been committed and later forgiven Ven I would think, you can never say never not in this modern age of broadcasting. I'm only hoping of course and who knows really but I live in hope that one day general discussion on talksport will surface again but not as it went out in the end with total fruitcakes hogging the lines like nutty Nigel although he did make some of us laugh didn't he. :D
  • IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    What is that music that H&J play just before Clips of the Month ?

Heard today at 15:04
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    "life of riley " the lightning seeds.
This discussion has been closed.