Options

Rock N' Chips - only fools prequel, this Sunday 24th January 2010 (discussion)

Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
Forum Member
✭✭
2 nights time, Sun 24th Jan 2010.

Comments

• Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like rubbish to me, if the clips are what the series are like.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Looks like rubbish to me, if the clips are what the series are like.

I fear its going to get hammered
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    2 nights time, Sun 24th Jan 2010.

They are a month late for the Christmas schedules.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they thought It was any good dont you think they would have shown it over christmas.......................lets face it, we ALL know how bad it is going to be !!!

Why they are doing this is beyond me !!
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    wHO thought of the title. That puts you off straight away. Worth a look though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to watch it, then I saw some clips from it - it just looks so badly acted, I'm sorry to say Phil Daniels is completely wooden in it. I might still give it a go, and a good chance tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavegirl79 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say Phil Daniels is completely wooden in it. I might still give it a go, and a good chance tho.

Ex eastenders actor may god have mercy on us all
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its only a one off.might be ok;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    wHO thought of the title. That puts you off straight away. Worth a look though.

it was going to be called Sex & Drugs and Rock & Chips

but the PC mob didnt like it
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the BBC publicity machine goes into top gear to promote a new show you know it's a loser...look at that recent Amanda Holden ''comedy'' which was dire.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When the BBC publicity machine goes into top gear to promote a new show you know it's a loser...look at that recent Amanda Holden ''comedy'' which was dire.:eek:

ah yes "Big Flop" err top (think I was right the first time)
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And its been done before-Del Boy as a Lad, remember?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the BBC are accused of "chasing the under 35s".

I don't see any evidence ot this, just the opposite in fact.

Maybe the BBCs main 60+ audience are so intolerant of anything that does not interest them that they over-react to the very few programmes not for their demographic?

Anyway, this sounds like another awful programme pandering to the BBCs OAP audience base.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Anyway, this sounds like another awful programme pandering to the BBCs OAP audience base.

yes its going to have 37% added cockney:D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just posted this on the Ratings Thread, where we have been discussing its likely prospects:
    Re Rock and Chips, it got an encouragingly good write up in The Times tv guide today - says it is a good comedy drama with no annoying laughter track or slapstick, and a strong cast.

Confusingly, it was accompanied by a press photo of David Jason, Nick Lyndhurst and the actor playing young Rodney - might lead viewers to think Jason is in it. Perhaps he is...?

I think it might do OK - with DOI stretched out beyond belief tomorrow, and Wild at Heart probably only getting a 10min head start, it should offer a strong alternative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks alright to me. Nothing groundbreaking, but it could do as something nice enough to watch on an otherwise rubbish Sunday night.
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the trailer it looks like a load of rubbish.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can't wait to see this, i hope James Buckley is good - he was in the inbetweeners but playing Del young or old is a different kettle of fish because David Jason was brilliant. i am prepared to give it a chance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some previews from journos:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6993796.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5602956/TV-highlights.html

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=92&programmeId=109505590&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

The guy from the Times seems to have watched it and seems surprisingly positive. My general impression is that the show *could* be an interesting watch, but is unlikely to be laugh out loud hilarious.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galentine wrote: »
    My general impression is that the show *could* be an interesting watch, but is unlikely to be laugh out loud hilarious.

I don't think it was ever intended to be- hence why it's a comedy drama and not a sitcom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I don't think it was ever intended to be- hence why it's a comedy drama and not a sitcom.

I epect this will get a high audience for the novelty value in seeing familiar characters at an early age, but the quality of the writing in the original veered seriously downward, but I'd give this the benefit of the doubt for now.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've said before that I think it might be OK, based on those dreadful last three OFAH episodes. The only bit of those three that really worked was the last 20 minutes or so of the last one, where Rodney found out about his true parentage. It turned into a comedy drama for that part, and I enjoyed it lots. I hope 'Rock & Chips' can carry that on.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm expecting it to be rubbish but would love to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    From the reviews ive read its actually quite good. I just hope people take it for what it is as a subtle comedy drama explaining the story of the Trotters in the early 1960s rather than a gag every minute sitcom.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Been sent out to die with that scheduling.