Options

When will Netflix get an update???

DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just joined,and I'm a little dissapointed with the selection tbh..

Only 2 out of 6 seasons of Dexter?? No Lost, Fringe, Parks and Recreation..... and the movie selection is also bad.

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gets updates all the time, I know they have added Southpark since I joined.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Depending on what device your streaming from you could always login to the US Netflix using your login details and get their content which is alot bigger and has Lost etc.
    Even with what we've got at the moment on the Uk netflix which is getting new stuff all the time, the key thing is to keep on rating what you've previously seen wheather youve watched it on netflix or elswhere as that gives you more choices.
    Login to your account on a PC etc and if you rate on their for everything you rate it asks you how often you watch certain types of films or shows which sort of filters choices to fit your tastes.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Densino wrote: »
    I just joined,and I'm a little dissapointed with the selection tbh..

Only 2 out of 6 seasons of Dexter?? No Lost, Fringe, Parks and Recreation..... and the movie selection is also bad.

The updates are regular but you're unlikely to get some shows due to SKY having the rights for on-demand streaming; as noted in their recent press release pointing to SKY, rather than LoveFilm, as their main rival. Assuming the service continues to be successful then they'll be in a position to challenge SKY for the rights.
  • Options
    DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just changed my ip address so I could go on the us site and it is so much better!

But when I click on something to look at it says it isn't available for streaming?
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just changed my ip address so I could go on the us site and it is so much better!

But when I click on something to look at it says it isn't available for streaming?

I think that Netflix is a bit like Lovefilm in the U.S. so that means some things are for physical rather than streaming?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's your DNS you have to change, not your IP. Have a look at Unblock US or Hotspot Shield (I like Unblock US)
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting better by the day.
  • Options
    CorrinCorrin Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I tried to resist looking at the US stuff. It worked for about a week!.. it is stupidly easy to change to US, I am a bit worried about 'abusing' the system and going against the terms of service. But the difference in programming is outstanding. There is majorly more stuff on the US side. So much its an insult really to the Uk subscribers & the thing is now I have experienced all that... it would be really hard to go back.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    The updates are regular but you're unlikely to get some shows due to SKY having the rights for on-demand streaming; as noted in their recent press release pointing to SKY, rather than LoveFilm, as their main rival. Assuming the service continues to be successful then they'll be in a position to challenge SKY for the rights.

Sky have anounced today that they are to start a streaming service to non-Sky subscribers offering movies to begin with then Sport later.

To directly compete with Netflix, Lovefilm and Blinkbox, its going to be an interesting year or so.

Here's an interesting article and video.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9682873.stm
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Corrin wrote: »
    I tried to resist looking at the US stuff. It worked for about a week!.. it is stupidly easy to change to US, I am a bit worried about 'abusing' the system and going against the terms of service. But the difference in programming is outstanding. There is majorly more stuff on the US side. So much its an insult really to the Uk subscribers & the thing is now I have experienced all that... it would be really hard to go back.
    What's the point? That content is not licensed for playback in the United Kingdom.

Hardly worth handing any money over to Netflix at all if you are just going to abuse the service to access content you are not supposed to. There's plenty of ways you can do that already and hand no money over (not that I am endorsing that either).

It seems some feel that because they are at least paying some money a month, it's okay to abuse the system a little to get what they want. Well it's not really. Netflix UK is for UK customers and Netflix US is for US customers. It's that simple. And I for one hope they crack down on this.

As for the difference in content available being "insulting" to UK customers, what nonsense. The service is about 3 weeks old in the UK. Of course content is going to be thin on the ground at the moment compared to its US counterpart which is well established. Give it time to grow.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Sky have anounced today that they are to start a streaming service to non-Sky subscribers offering movies to begin with then Sport later.

To directly compete with Netflix, Lovefilm and Blinkbox, its going to be an interesting year or so.

Here's an interesting article and video.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9682873.stm

Sky vs Virgin vs Netflix vs Lovefilm vs Blinkbox vs YouTube vs Blinkbox.

The battefield will be red with blood! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    What's the point? That content is not licensed for playback in the United Kingdom.

Hardly worth handing any money over to Netflix at all if you are just going to abuse the service to access content you are not supposed to. There's plenty of ways you can do that already and hand no money over (not that I am endorsing that either).

It seems some feel that because they are at least paying some money a month, it's okay to abuse the system a little to get what they want. Well it's not really. Netflix UK is for UK customers and Netflix US is for US customers. It's that simple. And I for one hope they crack down on this.

As for the difference in content available being "insulting" to UK customers, what nonsense. The service is about 3 weeks old in the UK. Of course content is going to be thin on the ground at the moment compared to its US counterpart which is well established. Give it time to grow.

Yawn. No one cares.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    It gets updates all the time, I know they have added Southpark since I joined.

South Park has been there since day one (I streamed it about two hours after the site went up!)
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    South Park has been there since day one (I streamed it about two hours after the site went up!)

Yes but they have added more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are updating a small amount but they dont have a view by date uploaded option

so as to identifying whats new you have to continually browse through all the selection

yes it is pee poor
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    They say they will post regular updates on new content on the Twitter account @NetflixUK.

Looking forward to It's Always Sunny being added tomorrow. A whole 6 seasons no less. :)
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've tried both Netflix UK and Netflix US, and I'm strongly tempted to subscribe to the US service. The selection (particularly older, back catalogue stuff) and convenience is fantastic. If netflix tightened their system and I was confined to the UK service onIy, I really wouldn't bother. It's OK, but only that.

The whole system of regional rights management is being made irrelevant as time and technology passes. If the content providers can convince people like me to pay something for their product (£70 per year), then that has to be better than them not getting anything at all, purely because of my geographical location.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Neither are Region 1 DVDs or Region A Blu-ray Discs.

Should people just download rips of those, 'cos, you know, "what's the point" of paying to import them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrin wrote: »
    Care to share? Can it be done without a VPN?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Care to share? Can it be done without a VPN?

Just google UnblockUS
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any effective way of lobbying for faster release of material to the UK streaming services? Or as I'm only just replacing my telly - should I give it a year and then subscribe to Netflix etc after Youview has rolled out?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are updating a small amount but they dont have a view by date uploaded option

so as to identifying whats new you have to continually browse through all the selection

yes it is pee poor

I agree.

I think especially when they get more titles they should really improve the navigation.

I also think a queue list would be handy (for films you want to watch later)
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Treble wrote: »
    I agree.

I think especially when they get more titles they should really improve the navigation.

I also think a queue list would be handy (for films you want to watch later)

Yeah, some sort of bookmarking or tagging system would be nice. If they have one, I didn't notice it. I'd like to be able to do a bit more than just rate stuff and indicate I've seen it.

That sort of limited functionality may be OK on a TV box or console, but I watch the services on a PC, so there is no real reason why I should have such a limited interface.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use netflix on the ps3 and I use unblock us through it too. It's such a difference because its not just the us, it's Canada, Mexico Sweden etc well worth the £4.67 a month I pay ($4.99) different places have different things etc £5.99 + £4.67 is much better than £50+ for sky/virgin IMO :) (I also use lovefilm too and I'm still cheaper!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Netflix gets updated all the time and using a service such as the rather good Moreflicks let's you see what's available.
    And if your also using Unblock-Us then even better as you can also use Moreflicks to see what's on in other Netflix regions too.