Continuum - Canadian Pace

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    It was bugging the cr@p out of me where I'd seen the actress playing Kris before, then I realized it was Lisa Ryder, who I'd seen in Andromeda, which was shot in Canada wasn't it?

Yes, Andromeda was made in Vancouver, and Lisa Ryder is a Canadian actress who has been a number of shows and movies made here. And in one of the next episodes you will see a pre-Stargate Amanda Tapping.:eek:
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ LOL

There was a time in the late 90s/early 00s where quite a few of the shows I watched were filmed up there - Andromeda (although I gave up after the first two seasons!), The New Outer Limits, SG1, Earth: Final Conflict (again, gave up after a few seasons), Millennium, Sliders, and probably many more! Of course, this being said, some of the shows I still watch or have watched recently are shot in Canada; Supernatural, Smallville, BSG.

Anyhow, just watched the first episode of Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays - brilliant. As much as I enjoyed The Newsroom, I enjoyed this even more. Love the concept, love the two main characters, and love the honesty of it. It's like the Office minus David Brent. It's funny, whilst still managing to retain the feeling of being very genuine and honest.

Two excellent tips so far ;)

I am discovering though that my ear for accents is absolutely dreadful - for the life of me I can't tell the difference between Canadians and Americans! :eek: I do apologise, I know how absurd that must sound as it must be similar to someone saying that they can't tell the difference between the English and the Scots - when it's perfectly obvious to me! Perhaps my ear will get better as I watch more. ;)
    Forum Member
    Anyhow, just watched the first episode of Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays - brilliant. As much as I enjoyed The Newsroom, I enjoyed this even more.

The Newsroom's first episode -- "The Walking Shoe Incident" -- is great but I think there are MANY episodes ahead that are better. In my judgement, Michael: T&T started strong and remained strong without really getting better. Oh, I should also mention that the actor who plays Michael became a regular on The Newsroom starting in Season 2.
    I am discovering though that my ear for accents is absolutely dreadful - for the life of me I can't tell the difference between Canadians and Americans! :eek: I do apologise, I know how absurd that must sound...

Not absurd at all, and no need to apologize, because you are right. Some regional differences complicate the matter, and in some cases there are differences in the way particular words are pronounced, but in general the "basic" American accent -- which you hear in most US TV shows and news programmes -- is no different than the "basic" Canadian English accent you hear in Canadian TV shows and news programmes.
    Forum Member
    Ah good to know!

Well hopefully tomorrow night it will be ZOS and Twitch City, so I'll let you know how that goes ;)

Incidentally, Michael, how were the ratings for that? I know they started off weak, and got a little stronger, but stronger enough to get a second season?
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, Michael, how were the ratings for that? I know they started off weak, and got a little stronger, but stronger enough to get a second season?

Uh, yeah, wasn't sure how to break that to you.:D The ratings were horrible and the show has been cancelled after one season. This is the problem BROADCAST TV has in Canada. A similar problem to what you see in the US with the network/cable divide. Quality, intelligent programming does not get good enough ratings nowadays for something like the CBC to keep anything but lowbrow drivel on the air. And while one of the premium cable channels has stepped in to do a few high-quality projects (Durham County was done that way, and the same channel made Slings & Arrows and ZOS), cable in Canada has nothing like the resources of US cable, so the state of Canadian TV is really not good these days.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this show to my attention. I'll be checking this out after viewing the trailer.
    Forum Member
    Oh well, that's a shame.

I'll still get a hold of it, as I'm a fan of the journey just as much as the final destination. Plus, thanks to our comedies, I'm used to only ever having 12/13 episodes of the best ones anyway! :D

Certainly explains why there are British/Canadian co-productions - they would seem to benefit both sides of the pond.
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing this show to my attention. I'll be checking this out after viewing the trailer.
    No bother...

It wouldn't be my normal kinda show... I mean I mostly watch scifi but nothing like this.

I don't tend to watch shows like Lost Girl, Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Haven (low budget cable series I guess)...but this has really caught my attention.
    Forum Member
    Densino wrote: »
    I don't tend to watch shows like Lost Girl, Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Haven (low budget cable series I guess)...but this has really caught my attention.

Why is Continuum standing out to you from the other "low budget cable series" that you don't bother with? Personally, I see a few ways this show COULD be pretty bad, so I am trying to figure out what has really caught your interest if this isn't the sort of thing you watch in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Why is Continuum standing out to you from the other "low budget cable series" that you don't bother with? Personally, I see a few ways this show COULD be pretty bad, so I am trying to figure out what has really caught your interest if this isn't the sort of thing you watch in the first place.
    Emm... well I guess one point would be its only starting this month when most shows I watch have ended in the last few weeks....
    It's different then other shows I watch...
    It has a good cast aswell.

and I'm not saying Lost Girl, Eureka etc are bad, because I've never seen any of them.
    But the premise of some of them would be similar to shows i've already seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    wasn't Odyssey 5 a Canadian production too? Loved that show, but it was - suprise, surprise, cancelled and ended with a huge cliffhanger and without answering any of the questions it dealt with. What a shame.
    Forum Member
    grayh wrote: »
    wasn't Odyssey 5 a Canadian production too? Loved that show, but it was - suprise, surprise, cancelled and ended with a huge cliffhanger and without answering any of the questions it dealt with. What a shame.

It was made for the American channel Showtime, but it was filmed in Canada. It probably qualifies as a US/Canada co-production.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kicks off tonight on Showtime in Canada..
    MoreTears if you watch could you give us your opinion on the pilot?
    I won't have time to see it until Wednesday :)
    Forum Member
    Kicks off tonight on Showtime in Canada..
    MoreTears if you watch could you give us your opinion on the pilot?
    I won't have time to see it until Wednesday :)

Sure, I plan to watch it tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! :)

I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully it doesn't disappoint
    Forum Member
    Well, here in Canada I just finished watching the first episode of Continuum, titled "A Stitch In Time." I was quite happy with it. I'll even say it was better than my most realistic expectations. It has a good look and some style, and I think they managed to pull off quite a bit given that their budget had to be rather limited. The story that has been set in motion is interesting from the start, and I am eager to see where it goes. Of course there were a few problems. The odd moment that is over-sugary, a clunky bit of dialogue here and there. And let's just say that the way the central character from the future, the cop Kiera Cameron, ends up working with the Vancouver police department of today requires suspension of disbelief raised to the nth degree. Still, all in all, I give Continuum my recommendation, with whatever weight that carries. I will definitely be interested to see what other people around here think of the show.:)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a great start to what hopefully will be a great series.

The female lead is good and much better than the Alcatraz lead.

I just hope there isn't too much Prisoner of the Week stuff and enough movement on the main story line.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this, and more so enjoyed the fact that her tech worked as well. It's not often in time travel shows that sort of thing happens.

There is enough interest in this to last the 10 episodes for sure. However, I'm not so sure about how perhaps they'd be able to maintain it long term. However I'm certainly going to be watching this every week.

Why is it that Canadian tv can throw up such strong female leads? Lost Girl and now this? It would be rare in the UK or US for that matter, not that I'm complaining.
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Why is it that Canadian tv can throw up such strong female leads? Lost Girl and now this? It would be rare in the UK or US for that matter, not that I'm complaining.

Xena, Buffy, Nikita (from the original La Femme Nikita TV series) -- and probably others I'm forgetting. My recollection is that it was in the US in the 1990's that the "kick-ass female action hero" trend started on TV. And certainly Lost Girl was made as something meant to follow in the footsteps of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »

Eh, Fringe (Olivia), Once Upon a Time (Like, the 3 main cast members) , Nikita (Nikita, obv) etc etc

I took the day off today, the heat kept me awake all night... I've got the first episode waiting for me to watch it later :)
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New show from Showcase.CA

I know this is the US sub forum but wasn't too sure where this should go seeing we don't have an alternative other than the UK TV shows

I've just watched the first episode and although the first 15 minutes or so were pretty bad, the rest of the episode was really good in my opinion.
    It's not going to be to everybodys taste but I like shows like this.

As I'm no good at reviewing things here is a link to the official site and the blurb about the new show.

http://continuumtheseries.com/
    Continuum is a one-hour police drama centered on Kiera Cameron, a regular cop from 65 years in the future who finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver. She is alone, a stranger in a strange land, and has eight of the most ruthless criminals from the future, known as Liber8, loose in the city.

Lucky for Kiera, through the use of her CMR (cellular memory recall), a futuristic liquid chip technology implanted in her brain, she connects with Alec Sadler, a seventeen-year-old tech genius. When Kiera calls and Alec answers, a very unique partnership begins.

Kiera’s first desire is to get "home." But until she figures out a way to do that, she must survive in our time period and use all the resources available to her to track and capture the terrorists before they alter history enough to change the course of the future. After all, what’s the point of going back if the future isn’t the one you left?

Kiera knows that the eight terrorists will resort to criminal activity to further their goals of taking down the corporations that will one day rule the world. Lives will be lost. Her goal is to kill or capture them before they can turn the world upside down.

For Kiera, there's only one organization that can help her hunt down Liber8, and through clever thinking, manages to work with the Vancouver Police Department. Partnered up with Detective Carlos Fonnegra of the Special Investigations Unit, Kiera positions herself perfectly to hear about Liber8's activities and hopefully intervene.

Like Kiera, Carlos is a cop with a passion for justice. They are from totally opposite ends of the ideological spectrum. Coming from 2012, Carlos believes in justice for the individual while Kiera, coming from 2077, believes in justice for the corporation. This provides sparks on many levels: work, political worldviews and emotionally.

Yet despite their differences, they have each other's back. And although they get off to a rocky start, there's an inherent trust that blooms between them. Kiera, brought up and trained to always depend on her technology, finds her relationship with Carlos has her learning to listen to her gut for the first time.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that, has the chance of becoming one of the best shows of the year. Plenty of action, interspersed with character storylines that didn't get in the way too much and a side story which will be important to how the future turns out I imagine with Sadlers family.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's starring Rachel Nichols so has me nomatterwhat, I just wish they'd kept her redhair :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers. I must admit I only looked here first.