Options

Is Giffgaff's proposed 256kbps really a good 3G download speed ?

joelukenjoeluken Posts: 250
Forum Member
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Managing-data-experience-during-busy-hours/m-p/13096395#M57945

"The real benefit of fast speeds is that we can download content to our phones quickly and we can stream videos at the highest possible quality levels, which is great. However, high data speeds also use a large amount of network resource, so at peak times (when the network can become congested), higher data speeds for some of us can lead to lower data speeds for others. During these hours, we’d like to start thinking slightly differently to ensure that as many of us as possible are getting a good download speed.

So, what is a good download speed? We have been trying to answer this question and research has suggested that 256kbps might be the answer. Please see the table below to see what this experience might look like on some popular services. We will be testing this speed soon as well and will be inviting some of you to join us."

Is 256kbps a good download speed for a 3G service ?

Comments

• Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds terrible. I'm on three and on the odd occasion I've strayed in to areas covered by a non upgraded site (Max 320kbps remember), the experience has been terrible. YouTube wouldn't stream and websites wouldn't load.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my good god, what a shambles!
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    256kb is only 4x faster than dial up!!

That is slow as hell, a 1mb photo would take 31s to load!?!?!

(maths)
    256kbps/8 = 32KB/s.
    1000kb = 1mb (Used 1000 as it gives a best case)
    1000/32 = 31~ Seconds

The BBC News site is 144kB.
    144/32 = 4.5seconds.
    While not a massive amount, each link would take 4.5s and completely ruins the flow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst other networks launch LTE speeds, giffgaff is planning a speed of 256kb/s.

Is it April 1st?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Whilst other networks launch LTE speeds, giffgaff is planning a speed of 256kb/s.

Is it April 1st?

On parts of the O2 network, 256k would be an upgrade :)

The SIM-peddling ultra-misers won't be happy with this.
    Not sure what we get. Norfolk but as I see GPRS and then long spells of emptyness I suspect my iPad might benifit. I am right in thinking this will affect all data users even those on limited data bags

A random quote from their forum. Are users thinking that this will be a minimum even though they're stuck on GPRS?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly not good 3G speeds as basic 3G UMTS maxed out at 384kbps so take that as u will. I think even edge can do 256kps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Certainly not good 3G speeds as basic 3G UMTS maxed out at 384kbps so take that as u will. I think even edge can do 256kps.

Yep,

So most networks can support 4G, with typical speeds of 15Mb/s or more, we're not talking 4G speeds, or even DC-HSPA, or even HSPA+, giffgaff are peddling EDGE speeds!

Welcome back to 2nd generation performance everybody.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it isn't fast enough to stream radio reliably, I'm jumping ship. Don't know where too mind- most of the alternatives are much more expensive!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giffgaff obviously isn't doing so good, and Telefonica might be wanting to reduce costs to avoid having to close it altogether.

Obviously customers will be safe, no doubt migrated to an O2 tariff, but I have to assume the business model where users recommend the service to others is no longer working. Maybe there's not anyone else left to sign up, or people have realised that it's not the same great deal it once was (both from its own changes, to the offers available elsewhere).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Giffgaff obviously isn't doing so good, and Telefonica might be wanting to reduce costs to avoid having to close it altogether.

Obviously customers will be safe, no doubt migrated to an O2 tariff, but I have to assume the business model where users recommend the service to others is no longer working. Maybe there's not anyone else left to sign up, or people have realised that it's not the same great deal it once was (both from its own changes, to the offers available elsewhere).

Well Samba has gone, Ovivo has gone and now giffgaff looks to be likely to become potentially a heavily restricted EDGE speed service. I wonder if it makes any money and whether Telefonica / o2 have decided to scale back due to the last set of results.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giffgaff was set up to run on a word of mouth basis, and I think in the last year or so that word hasn't been quite so positive.

For one thing, those people who used to blitz forums with links (and affiliate codes) are probably unable to do it anywhere near as much, so Giffgaff probably isn't getting anywhere near the same level of sign ups - and most members probably aren't earning as much as they did.

So I think that it will very likely go the same way as Ovivo and Samba, although clearly customers won't just be left without service - they'll be taken over by O2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The figure of £38 million a year was posted here recently in terms of Giff Gaff's annual losses.

Even to a big corporate like Telefonica, that isn't loose change. I'm certainly considering my options, in the event of GiffGaff either closing, or becoming so speed restricted it is unusable.

I don't need unlimited data, but have exceed 1 gig in a month before now, and so my PAYG options are limited to say the least, especially when you consider I can only use O2 or Vodafone for coverage reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    The figure of £38 million a year was posted here recently in terms of Giff Gaff's annual losses.

Even to a big corporate like Telefonica, that isn't loose change. I'm certainly considering my options, in the event of GiffGaff either closing, or becoming so speed restricted it is unusable.

I don't need unlimited data, but have exceed 1 gig in a month before now, and so my PAYG options are limited to say the least, especially when you consider I can only use O2 or Vodafone for coverage reasons.

38 million certainly isn't lose change at all, especially not when you've got executives at Telefonica seeing big revenue drops.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    On my good god, what a shambles!

Hahahaha

Congratulations on "Post of the day"
    I nearly spat my Chardonnay all over my monitor!
    :)
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lycamobile would be your best option then. for £12 per month PAYG you get 10GB of 3G or 4G data depending if you're in a 4G area, including 500 minutes and unlimited tests, they use the O2 network and the 3G network is considerably better on lyca than it is on giffgaff. I made the switch, and was very much worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I've been with giffgaff for a couple of years, at one point it offered decent prices & back then half decent speeds, but since around Christmas time those speeds have dropped off to the point where it was unusable during the day & i live in an area with a strong O2 signal.

I've got around £89 payback due next month, once I've got that I'm gone & be requesting my pac code as I've already switched to a Three, which has gone from 0.50mbps during day on giffgaff to around 8- 10mbps during the day on Three then upto 25Mbps during the evening plus 4G is soon to launch round here aswell from Three, with no date set at all yet from O2.

I think the payback is what keeping a few there atm, but there no saying that will also suffer at some point & once that happens the few remaining users will also move onto other networks.

I have a feeling that Telefonica/O2 will close shop on giffgaff in the not to distant future as things have already been set in motion with the limited unusable data speeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lycamobile would be your best option then. .

Yes I have looked at Lycamobile but I fear they might go the same way as ovivo and samba.

To be honest I'm not sure I trust Mvno's any more. I may see if I can get a sim only deal with Voda or O2
  • Options
    gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have looked at Lycamobile but I fear they might go the same way as ovivo and samba.

To be honest I'm not sure I trust Mvno's any more. I may see if I can get a sim only deal with Voda or O2

Well, Tesco is going nowhere. They're invariably cheaper than o2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Tesco is going nowhere. They're invariably cheaper than o2

Same with Virgin Media.

It's the free or "too good to be true" offers that you want to watch for, paying little or nothing like Samba / Ovivo.

giffgaff's payback achilles heel is that once you have a have bigger user base there are't the same referral opportunities as the ratio of members to people that don't know and want to join changes. Members can't possibly sign up 20 new members like they did in the start because people already know and would have joined if they were going to join.

It's the old pyramid scheme problem - the more members, the more in competition to target a smaller potential signup base = lower and lower referral possibilities. In the early days pyramids do well, but it reaches a point where members opportunity to refer diminishes as the market is saturated with other referrers and the target market is saturated. I'm not calling it a pyramid scheme, but it suffers from the same flaw from a payback point of view.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 256k is all you really need then we should have stuck with 2G and Edge :eek:
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2's 3G network is so poor this doesn't really come as a surprise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I will move after payback too unfortunately after 4 years with giffgaff.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    256kb is only 4x faster than dial up!!

That is slow as hell, a 1mb photo would take 31s to load!?!?!

(maths)
    256kbps/8 = 32KB/s.
    1000kb = 1mb (Used 1000 as it gives a best case)
    1000/32 = 31~ Seconds

The BBC News site is 144kB.
    144/32 = 4.5seconds.
    While not a massive amount, each link would take 4.5s and completely ruins the flow
    not necessarily. a lot of the content would be cached from the previous page. the text would download in a fraction of a second. the remainder would likely just be the main picture on that page, which would download over the last 4.5 seconds.

256 is too slow though. IMHO you're solving the problem of slow downloads by actually ensuring slow downloads.

that having been said. giffgaff is cheap. it's no surprise that the cheapest network can't run the best speeds.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    The comments over on that thread is what surprised me.

You have the knowledgeable people saying it's the worst idea ever.
    Then you have the majority saying it's faster what they get on 3G (and then post a screenshot of a 2G speed test) or saying they don't mind (because they have no idea what a good speed is)
    Then you have the people being paid off by giff gaff saying it's the best idea ever.

What a shambles.
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what we get. Norfolk but as I see GPRS and then long spells of emptyness I suspect my iPad might benefit. I am right in thinking this will affect all data users even those on limited data bags
    moox wrote: »
    ^A random quote from their forum. Are users thinking that this will be a minimum even though they're stuck on GPRS?
    Frankly, reading through, that does appear to be exactly what some of them are thinking :o very odd.

Although, to be fair, that post you quote does raise a question that doesn't appear to have been answered - will this affect their gigabags as well? Said gigabags being intended for tethering use or in dongles? 256kbps in a dongle?? Ouch.
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The comments over on that thread is what surprised me.

You have the knowledgeable people saying it's the worst idea ever.
    Then you have the majority saying it's faster what they get on 3G (and then post a screenshot of a 2G speed test) or saying they don't mind (because they have no idea what a good speed is).
    Then you have the people being paid off by giffgaff saying it's the best idea ever.

What a shambles.

Indeed, particularly the BIB. It's a farce. Probably just as well they put some space between all this and April 1st.