Options

ITV Cilla Preview and Q+A

Comments

• Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Cilla Black - but before she had her nose operation - I think she did actually have a good voice. Strong and distinctive. After the nose job - it went all weak and reedy. Listen to some early songs like 'Love of The Loved', 'Its For You', 'Alfie' and 'You're My World' and you'll hear the difference between her voice then and the voice that most people seem to associate her with (a-la Surprise Surprise).

I was just going to bring up Love Of The Loved
    Along with Surround Yourself With Sorrow probably my two favourite tracks
    I'd be interested to hear Cilia sing Love of the loved now
    When she sang it originally you were in no doubt whatsoever where she came from
    Listen to that line line
    So let it rain what do I CARE pure scouser and still brings a smile to my face 😄
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Can't believe they've done a show about this vile woman

Who's next? Rosemary West, Myra Hindley, Maxine Carr?

That's a terrible and foul slander, comparing those women to Cilla... ;-)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Cilla Black - but before she had her nose operation - I think she did actually have a good voice. Strong and distinctive. After the nose job - it went all weak and reedy. Listen to some early songs like 'Love of The Loved', 'Its For You', 'Alfie' and 'You're My World' and you'll hear the difference between her voice then and the voice that most people seem to associate her with (a-la Surprise Surprise).

Agreed, she was very good when she first started, and after her nose job she had her own t.v. series in which she sometimes appeared as a dancer in skimpy costumes and she was very attractive.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe anyone thought that this was a good idea. There is no intrigue about Cilla (that can be broadcast) and the fact that she hogged our tv screens for years and has a voice like nails down a blackboard is well known.. BB4 did some good dramas but they were about folks who have departed so could be 'accurate'. Hughie Green really telling a story that many suspected. Steptoe & Son hating each other. etc.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    in your opinion, besides it doesn't need to be an impersonation but an interpretation which she carries off perfectly
    I agree. It's not a Cilla impression at all.
    It's a very strong rendition of a Bacharach/David classic.
    I had no idea she could sing that well, or at all.

Edit: and I have no interest in Cilla.
    I realised what a great song it is because of the trailer.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Can't believe anyone thought that this was a good idea. There is no intrigue about Cilla (that can be broadcast) and the fact that she hogged our tv screens for years and has a voice like nails down a blackboard is well known.. BB4 did some good dramas but they were about folks who have departed so could be 'accurate'. Hughie Green really telling a story that many suspected. Steptoe & Son hating each other. etc.

The Steptoe one got the beeb into bother over inaccuracies, I don't think they can repeat it.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    That's a terrible and foul slander, comparing those women to Cilla... ;-)

(I should also point out that Maxine Carr did not take part in the Soham murders)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The Steptoe one got the beeb into bother over inaccuracies, I don't think they can repeat it.

They can repeat an edited version I've read elsewhere.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well chuck we're gonna have a Lorra Lorra laughs! :D
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    (I should also point out that Maxine Carr did not take part in the Soham murders)

I was going to make a similar point.

Anyway, find Cilla more and more irksome due to her making a bollox of a Dionne Warwick song all those years ago.
    I'd like to watch because of Sheridan Smith, it's tempting, but I won't.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to make a similar point.

Anyway, find Cilla more and more irksome due to her making a bollox of a Dionne Warwick song all those years ago.
    I'd like to watch because of Sheridan Smith, it's tempting, but I won't.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, I think Dionne's version is a bit lightweight compared to Cilla's
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Prince Monalulu;74410317
    I'd like to watch because of Sheridan Smith, it's tempting, but I won't.[/QUOTE]

Sheridan Smith certainly seems to have gone on to greater things since 2 Pints, along with Ralph Little and Will Mellor, but the other two girls seemed to have disappeared apart from Kathryn Drysdale in Benidorm.
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Already been done :D

Rose West ( Appropriate adult, 2011 )

Myra Hindley ( See no evil 2006 )

I'm still waiting for the Huntley/Carr film to be made
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    You pays your money and you takes your choice, I think Dionne's version is a bit lightweight compared to Cilla's

Dione Warwick was not a happy bunny when she flew into the UK to promote her song and discovered that a young Cilla had beaten her to it
    I mean, she was Whitney Houstons Aunty, Cousin, Sister, Mother, and anybody else you could think off, according to her publicity
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame - love Sheridan Smith but couldn't possibly watch something which both gives CB the oxygen of publicity and presumably lauds her!
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird casting, Cilla was/is skinny, willowy , plainish and flat chested, Sheridan is dumpy, pretty and rather busty.

Having seen a clip, Smith gives a fair rendition, but hasn't got Cilla's dynamic vocal range.

I'm hard pressed to think where the drama can be extracted from the fairly humdrum story of a singer plucked from relative obscurity ih the 1960s and thrust into the limelight to become a major entertainer for the next 30 years.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Weird casting, Cilla was/is skinny, willowy , plainish and flat chested, Sheridan is dumpy, pretty and rather busty.

Having seen a clip, Smith gives a fair rendition, but hasn't got Cilla's dynamic vocal range.

I'm hard pressed to think where the drama can be extracted from the fairly humdrum story of a singer plucked from relative obscurity ih the 1960s and thrust into the limelight to become a major entertainer for the next 30 years.

It's billed as a love story so don't expect too much drama.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Sheridan Smith certainly seems to have gone on to greater things since 2 Pints, along with Ralph Little and Will Mellor, but the other two girls seemed to have disappeared apart from Kathryn Drysdale in Benidorm.

I don't watch Benidorm, so I thought she'd 'disappeared' too.
    Disappeared = doing other things rather than TV work.
    Two girls?
    Maybe another girl was brought in later in the series, after I'd stopped watching.

I had a 'thing' for Natalie Casey in that show, thought she was very very tidy.

Enough OT, as you were people.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Both Black and Tarbuck were fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Liverpool.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Whoever commissioned this needs their head examined. Ghastly woman.

No doubt her version of events will be sanitised.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy a good biopic but as Cilla is still living I don't imagine this will be too reflationary.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I don't like Cilla but I do like Sheridan so I'll watch it. From watching the trailer (that they keep showing at every single ad break), I actually thought Sheridan sounded better than Cilla.

Does anybody know what Cilla thinks about this 3 part drama? Has anyone read any interviews anywhere, saying that Cilla was involved etc?
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Dione Warwick was not a happy bunny when she flew into the UK to promote her song and discovered that a young Cilla had beaten her to it
    I mean, she was Whitney Houstons Aunty, Cousin, Sister, Mother, and anybody else you could think off,

I've seen Dionne in concert several times now and she does make mention of Cilla covering the song but usually rolls her eys and laughs it off
    Don't forget though a few years down the line Bacarach and David penned Alfie for the film
    Cilla sang it on the uk version but Dionne had the bigger hit with it in terms of sales
    It should be remembered the majority of songs they wrote were initially sung by Dionne as their singer of choice but many of the songs were bigger hits for others (they long to be )Close To You by The Carpenters another notable example
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoever commissioned this needs their head examined. Ghastly woman.

No doubt her version of events will be sanitised.

You need your head examined if you don't realise that she's still hugely popular with the GBP.

As someone else mentioned she's still alive, she's also still popular and earned ITV a good few bob over the years.
    I don't see ITV pi$$ing her off too much, when there's the chance she could come back and earn them money again.
    I thought her Son was the producer on this, well that's what I remember from another thread on here ages ago.