Options

Inception - How freakin weird and secretive is this movie

Comments

• Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic film. I can't really think of a single flaw, and the ending was brilliant. I don't think I've been quite so tense during a climax of a film for a very long time.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVED IT!!! I wonder if they'll make a sequel?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    What a great film! Really enjoyed it. At the beginning I felt as if it took a little while for me to get into it but it soon picked up. One of those rare films I will have to go and see it at the cinema again. When I get it on dvd the small screen won't do it justice!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    loved it!! :D didnt really understand it, but i just let myself get completly into it .
    really wanted a drink for the whole film,but i couldnt leave incase i missed something.

everyone should go see it :D
  • Options
    SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it a couple of nights ago. Enjoyed it for what it was - a fairly dumb heist-type movie dressed up as something "clever".

It's hard to feel too emotionally involved with characters when it's all a dream (or a dream within a dream, or a.. oh who cares..)

DiCaprio's character's back story was boring, and the other characters' motivations were never really explained.

The chase scenes were fun and there were a few funny one-liners.

The ending was annoying. I really don't want to have to guess what happened myself

Nothing special.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this an Orange Wednesday this week and was left with that special feeling that I had really got my money's worth from a film, would have been more than happy to pay full price!

It was a packed cinema, and at the start there were a few faily rowdy groups in the room, I was a bit concerned that the film might be a bit spoilt by them, HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN! The entire theatre was in rapt silence from almost the very start, all the way through, until the final frame, at which the whole room gasped in delight.

I really hope this performs well financially because it's testament to what can be acheived if the studios put their faith in good film-makers, Chris Nolan has now become my all-time favourite director.

It also shows what can be acheieved by proper film-making, without over-reliance on CGI, from the trailer I was expecting the whole folding worlds/collapsing city things to be fairly dominant but really all that was just window dressing, the most visually impressive sequence is the one that was done with a good old-fashioned rotating set and wires-and-harnesses.

A proper 5* film, makes Avatar (apparently now the blockbuster benchmark for many people) look like an episode of In The Night Garden.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a packed cinema, and at the start there were a few faily rowdy groups in the room, I was a bit concerned that the film might be a bit spoilt by them, HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN! The entire theatre was in rapt silence from almost the very start, all the way through, until the final frame, at which the whole room gasped in delight.

How amazing is the final scene? Everyone in the IMAX just gasped and started laughing in disbelief.

I absolutely adored this film, unbelievably clever, some great effects but they didn't take over the film. I see why some people think DiCaprios story was boring or cheesy, but I thought it was very powerful.

And I loved Arthur.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Whoops. Another negative.

Well shot and coolly slick, but nothing more than an indulgent, self-conciously serious M:I meets Total Recall-like folly without the hokey entertainment of either.

Some of the intricate scene-jumping was impressive, and credit to the editor for cutting it all together, but for a film so concerned with conciousness and the mind it did lack genuine depth. This 'dream' had no particular meaning, despite the illusion of it. And the ending was a cop out too - a cheap stab at something enigmatic. You'll never get to be Kubrick that way, Nolan.

It was an interesting move to have the dreams not really feel like dreams, to have them and the imagery more tactile and urgent. But again, the extensive visuals just underlined how much more could've been done with the film as a whole.

More subtance was needed to pull this particular heist off, methinks

Rating: 5/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

And I loved Arthur.

Arthur was my favourite.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy both completely stole the show. They were absolutely fantastic and the main reason why I came out of the cinema loving the film so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I think it's funny how some people are complaining about the ending and it's ambiguousness. I think that if the ending had been a definitive ending it wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful, you'd have just walked out of the cinema and probably not given it a seconds thought, but with the ending that we got, people are going to be discussing it for weeks/months/years. The ambiguous ending makes the film stand out in my opinion.

And Jonny Clay, who thought that the ending was a cop out and that Nolan will never get to be like Kubrick with endings like that: have you seen '2001: A Space Oddysey'? I don't think you can get more of a "WTF just happened?!?!?" type ending than that. I'm not saying that Nolan is the next Kubrick (far from it), but saying what you said is a bit ridiculous when you take into account 2001's ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    What a daft film. Dreams don't have that much detail in them. And you're only part of yourself otherwise you'd know you're in a dream. :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    What a daft film. Dreams don't have that much detail in them. And you're only part of yourself otherwise you'd know you're in a dream. :sleep:
    LOL
    You should research "lucid dreams" and stop speaking from your arse, most people can't remember their dreams and the brain only uses 1/3 of its potential.

cosa nostra - :rolleyes: Didn't know the Italian Mafia members would figure such film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    LOL
    You should research "lucid dreams" and stop speaking from your arse, most people can't remember their dreams and the brain only uses 1/3 of its potential.

cosa nostra - :rolleyes: Didn't know the Italian Mafia members would figure such film.

In lucid dreams you know that you're dreaming which defeats the logic of the film. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Arthur was my favourite.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy both completely stole the show. They were absolutely fantastic and the main reason why I came out of the cinema loving the film so much.

Totally agree. They were both brilliant.

I didn't think the ending was a cop out at all. It was the type of ending that has you thinking about it for hours afterwards. I love that despite the film ending we were tortured by not being shown whether the spinning top stopped spinning or not. Brilliant :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In lucid dreams you know that you're dreaming which defeats the logic of the film. :rolleyes:

How does it?

DiCaprio and his team are the ones lucid dreaming thanks to their shared dream technique (they know they're dreaming, and can affect their surroundings), while Cillian Murphy is just dreaming what his mind percieves as a regular dream. Once he wakes up he probably wont remember the specifics of the dream, just the idea that was planted deep within his subconscious.

You might call it a "daft film", but the rest of us call it an entertainingly original film (for the most part anyway, obviously it owes certain ideas to other films). If every film was deadly serious and grounded in reality they'd all be boring and repetitive, it's called science-fiction for a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    How does it?

DiCaprio and his team are the ones lucid dreaming thanks to their shared dream technique (they know they're dreaming, and can affect their surroundings), while Cillian Murphy is just dreaming what his mind percieves as a regular dream. Once he wakes up he probably wont remember the specifics of the dream, just the idea that was planted deep within his subconscious.

A regular dream that has as much detail and feeling as the real world? I'm sure I'd remember that when I woke up.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How anyone can say anything bad about this movie is beyond me, it was great.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Anyone seen it twice? I am planning on seeing it again.

I love the soundtrack as well. Hans Zimmer did a really good theme to this. I am thinking of buying the soundtrack CD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

I love the soundtrack as well. Hans Zimmer did a really good theme to this. I am thinking of buying the soundtrack CD.

I want to see it again because I will enjoy it even more a second time. My cinema isn't showing it yet, though. I saw it in London on the 17th...wish I could go again already!

The score is amazing. I already have a copy it of.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There a lot of people here that don’t know much about dreams. Its like you have never heard anyone say, wow that dream I had last night was so real, it was like I was there!

The dream idea is not exactly a new one but what Nolan has done with it is impressive. I sat there transfixed to be honest, very intense film. I’m amazed at people not being very impressed, in fact one guy in the cinema was falling asleep, until the really loud score woke him up LOL.

I like the ambiguous ending a lot, the idea that his wife just simply went back to reality when she jumped while he was the one trapped in his own dream, or his reality is in fact real. There probably a load of little clues in the film offering evidence either way if you re watch, its not as basic an action film as some people think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »

I literally just got back from seeing it for the second time. I actually think i enjoyed it even more the second time, absolutely brilliant film.

A little thing to look out for on the second viewing (dunno if it's been mentioned already): Cobb only has his wedding ring on during dream scenes and flashback scenes. Annoyingly i forgot to look at his hand after he wakes up on the plane, lol.

I've also got the soundtrack too, the final track on the album, "Time", is beautifully epic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally don't like big silly action blockbusters, but I was honestly very impressed with Inception. Nobody is saying it's a work of genius, or that the plot can be put up there alongside some of the great films of the past, but as a big budget blockbuster film it was a cut above anything else that's been released recently.
  • Options
    mistyellemistyelle Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Arthur was my favourite.

ditto.. its a great cast all round, but yeah they were my faves too...off to see it again tomorrow:p
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slane wrote: »
    Saw it a couple of nights ago. Enjoyed it for what it was - a fairly dumb heist-type movie dressed up as something "clever".

I agree with this. I was thinking the same thing as I came out of the cinema last night. I think the movie deserves some credit because the idea is kind of original but it wasn't anything special and the ending was predictable. The film was enjoyable enough but not nearly as good as the hype. Alas Leo's acting was great though and that Arthur guy was very easy on the eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Whilst this film is head and shoulders over the usual pretty dire Hollywood offerings the hype is I believe a little "Emperors new clothes".

Casting is more miss than hit, very very lazy

Di Caprio is poor
    Acted off the screen by Tom Hardy
    Ellen Page could not be more wrong
    Cillian Murphy completely out his depth
    Pete Postlethwaite (who I usually enjoy) reprising his role from Brassed Off, what a waste
    Sir Michael Caine doing his Dr. Frank Bryant from Educating Rita

Sound editing is very 2nd year media studies
    Just because something is loud does not make it effective
    I didn't know Di Caprio characters name until the titles it was Col Co or Com at times
    Accents from Cotillard and Ken Watanabe were almost unintelligable

The James Bond villians lair and snow scenes were just a showreel from the Director applying for a Bond film (If you dont think of Roger Moore and a Union Jack parachute then you are a better man than me)

The ending which many people love is straight from Tales of the Unexpected circa 1979 unimaginative and lazy

Thier are some stand out moments

The Mirror doors scene, amazing
    The zero gravity scene, jaw dropping
    Tom Hardy,brilliant
    Cafe scene, dynamite
    Folding city, Original and well done

Overall
    Good but not great 7.5/10