Didn't realise how good things were 20 years ago

TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last Christmas we were given several DVD's of the old shows which prompted us to buy more.

We are watching Campion at the moment and have had many happy hours watching Mrs Bradley, Alleyne etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but is only now that we are watching quality programs that we realise how much we took them for granted back in the days when the only reality show was the news and you didn't see a cooking show everytime you switched on the TV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Campion, Wasn't it Peter Davidson who was the main character, I remember Brian Glover the ex wrestler who played his side kick and was brilliant.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were good shows 20 years ago, but they were few and far between IMO. Even with all the reality shite (and celebrity reality shite) that's on now, we still have a lot of great drama output that outstrips past offerings by miles.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    Last Christmas we were given several DVD's of the old shows which prompted us to buy more.

We are watching Campion at the moment and have had many happy hours watching Mrs Bradley, Alleyne etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but is only now that we are watching quality programs that we realise how much we took them for granted back in the days when the only reality show was the news and you didn't see a cooking show everytime you switched on the TV

There was some quality 20 years ago, but most of programs were far from quality. We tend to only remember the highlights. Just like how in 20 years from now we'll be saying the same about today's programs and mention stuff like Life on Mars, Dexter or The West Wing.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking similarly to the OP a few days ago when watching some old stuff on ITV3 - ITV has some gems in the locker from the '80s & '90s like Cadfael, Morse, Jeeves & Wooster, Poiroit and the Jeremy Brett Holmes. What I think we lack now is decent drama from ITV - the BBC still holds up imho.
    The quality of US imports has improved tremedously - whether its just that we only got the dross back then or it has actually improved (becouse of HBO and Starz) I'm not sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think by the sheer number of channels available nowadays we are subjected to a LOT of drivel.

However, when TV is good, it's generally very good.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were still some decent quality dramas being made right up until the mid-1990s - even by ITV.

There are too many channels to cater for these days. ITV1 and 2 are trash and ITV3 and 4 remind us of some of the good programmes ITV were once capable of producing.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV is just as good now as it always was.

The problem is that nowadays we have too much choice, so there is a lot of space to fill & inevitably, that gets filled with brown stuff beginning with 'S' & ending in 'T'!;)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hardly watch any current TV. Happy evenings in the Chuff house are spent on DVDs of 60s/70s/80s/90s telly. That's where the quality was.