Options

BREAKING: Russia Calls Emergency Security Council Meet - Fearing Korea War Imminent

Comments

• Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    fredc wrote: »
    You haven't explained why the population of a country could suddenly split into evil people and good people along a line we drew on the map.

Nobody has said the population of North Korea is evil though have they, you have to invent things to make a point.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Government says we are already committed to support any action. Get out your old kit-bag and smile smile smile!
    Yep, after the last war, all the main combatants including the UK, Canada and Australia agreed to help defend South Korea the next time. The Canadian and Australian press have been reporting on the commitment but our press hasn't so much.
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yep, after the last war, all the main combatants including the UK, Canada and Australia agreed to help defend South Korea the next time. The Canadian and Australian press have been reporting on the commitment but our press hasn't so much.

Any conflict would be over before we got any troops there

I would guess a few weeks tops with very heavy casualties on both sides, but more so in NK before NK collapsed.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

As we have no bases east of Suez and no aircraft carriers, I wonder how we are going to do that ?

Given that it is 65 years since the end of the 2nd WW, I think its time we reviewed our strategy,
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MegaWhat? wrote: »
    Storm in a tea cup - nothing will happen.

It's just a weekend & a slow news night on the wires & DS. :yawn:

Here is a nice wee Christmas song just for you :D

Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We own/govern Diego Garcia, which has that big American base on it. I'm guessing that we would be allowed to use it in times of crisis. Also we have a small rapid reaction force, so I guess we could always send a token force to show our support.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on when the South will begin it's military excercises?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    As we have no bases east of Suez and no aircraft carriers, I wonder how we are going to do that ?

Given that it is 65 years since the end of the 2nd WW, I think its time we reviewed our strategy,
    Actually we still have one carrier left in service (Illustrious) and the Ark Royal and its Harriers as still around should things suddenly hot up.

Before the Falklands, both our operational carriers were up for sale. After the Falklands things changed.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on when the South will begin it's military excercises?

Apparently it will still go ahead once the weather has improved.
    A defence ministry official said the exercise, in a disputed area, would go ahead once bad weather had lifted.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Actually we still have one carrier left in service (Illustrious) and the Ark Royal and its Harriers as still around should things suddenly hot up.

Before the Falklands, both our operational carriers were up for sale. After the Falklands things changed.

Ah yes, I had forgotten the few out of date Harriers that we can no longer afford to fly or maintain .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite specifically used the term regime to distinguish between the leadership and wider population of the country. That is something that you appear to have missed but it's consistent with your usual diversionary tactics.

Now, how about you go on record right now and publicly condemn the gross human rights abuses that are occurring in both North Korea and Iran?

Oh I'm always happy to condemn human rights abuses as which side of an imaginary line they are on.

Just because I'm not full of hatred and bile against someone because they live on the wrong side of an imaginary line it doesn't mean I think they can do no wrong.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Lets hope South Korea is as bad as the UK in dealing with bad weather so their miltary exercise is delayed for weeks.

The weather may just delay any conflict until sounder heads on both sides prevail.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drills are to happen within hours.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2010/12/20/0200000000AEN20101220000900315.HTML
    SEOUL, Dec. 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's military plans to hold a one-day live-fire drill on Monday near the Yellow Sea border island of Yeonpyeong, the site of last month's North Korean artillery attack, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.

North Korea's move.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief there isn't half a shedload of stupid people in the world :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We could be waking up to a full scale battle tomorrow unless that American guy in NK at the moment can keep the peace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could be waking up to a full scale battle tomorrow unless that American guy in NK at the moment can keep the peace.

Perhaps, it depends how North Korea reacts. They have for instance threatened rains of fire for certain actions and never done anything in the short term, on the other hand the sinking of that warship and the shelling of that island came out of the blue.

The drill might start at 1AM GMT according to the ROK defense ministry.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fitting how Team America is on in 25 minutes...
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is brinksmanship. NK wont dare move. Stop worrying people. They may be arrogant but they arent stupid. We've been here before - the Cuban missile crisis, and the Soviet-American nuclear arms race. It will pass.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope there's an office in the UN somewhere that's been busy planning the incredibly complex operation that will be Korean unification.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The South Koreans have a department that is planning what is required. I'm sure many key UN players are party to this,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with NK is that they are unpredictable. They say they will do things, they don't. Then sometimes they do things without any warning at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bill Richardson is over there. He's been meeting NK leaders. Just said on CNN that North Koreans will react if SK goes ahead with drill. And SK will.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    The thing with NK is that they are unpredictable. They say they will do things, they don't. Then sometimes they do things without any warning at all.

Even more so at the moment with the handover of power playing in the background..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evacuation of Y'pyeong island underway.

http://twitter.com/egalite_twitted

Russia at UN: Potentially "serious conflict in hours".

http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/webcast/

Extremely agitated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Serious conflict within hours"
    "Bridges still unbridged"

In summary, talks have failed. All we can do is wait.