Options

MODS: Can we have separate UK/International Politics forums?

Comments

• Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I request a poll to see if people like this idea?

There are very important things happening the UK, and I find that the forum gets a bit clogged up with issues about international politics, which are, in my view, a different field of interest to domestic politics.

So any chance of two sub-forums within the main one?

UK Politics

&

International Politics

Anyone agree/disagree?
    Two sub-forums? There would thus be three forums and it would get very confusing. Then what goes in the top forum?
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I disagree. Where do we post all the many events that involve our government in foreign affairs?
    My thoughts exactly.
    UK politics - as it would directly involve UK politicians.

The international politics forum would be for things like elections in the US, or the goings on in Israel or Korea. Stuff with a more international flavour.
    So it's UK politics if it happens to involve a UK politician. What if a Middle East story starts and a UK politician becomes involved later? This is forum apartheid.

It will also be an open invitation for self appointed thread police to argue over where a thread should be. Other sub-forums are very specific about what should go in them and there is little crossover. There would be a lot of crossover between UK and International Politics. If people can't be bothered to open the second page to look for threads of interest that's their problem. I really don't see the point in fragmenting this vibrant forum.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said, 'allafix' :)
  • Options
    tulvingtulving Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - there is no need.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is frankly bewildering. I mean so many people tip-toeing around the issue. Instead of dealing with CXC head on (if that is the problem) they'd rather take some sort of pacifistic way out by simply removing certain threads to another forum? I mean talk of a lack of a backbone! Talk about non-confrontational and for me going the wrong way about it.

If you have a problem with FM surely the options are:
    • Ignore the threads they create - if you're too lazy to look beyond the first page of a forum to see ALL the stories that have been discussed on DS recently then that's really quite lame.
    • Report them to the mods for contravening the rules of the forum (if you believe any have been broken).
    • Go to their threads, get in their faces, show them up for the nonsense (that you think) they come up with. Point out their fallacies, take them to the showers (not figuratively!), deal with them in a way that shows everyone that debating isn't dead! And that we can discuss, and agree, and disagree and share opinions and not just turn the other way because you don't like it.
    The vote may well have been won by these people and I can imagine Admin may well seriously consider creating a separate forum. I would think that would be a sad day - not for the "crazy" posters who wind everyone up, and not for the posters who think they know better because they don't agree with "crazy" posters, but a sad day for the whole DS Politics melting pot of various citizens not just from England, not just from the UK but for all of us that come here from all over the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum simplicity is key.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan48 wrote: »
    Forum simplicity is key.

Indeed it is.

You read the title, if you're not interested (or bored with the OP) don't click to enter the thread.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Well said, 'allafix' :)

Currently, you are in a minority on this one and, according to the poll, the great majority of Forum Members would like a separation of domestic and international politics matters. Perhaps you fear a much smaller audience for your relentless and tiresome threads hence your opposition.

I happen to support a fully independent and viable Palestinian state with its capital in East Jerusalem (not Ramallah as at present). I support practical relief efforts in the Palestinian territories and I contributed to the DEC Gaza Crisis charity appeal in the aftermath of the Gaza conflict (my bank and the charities concerned will be able to confirm that I made the relevant donations).

That said, your persistent biased threads have successfully brassed me off. Peace between Palestine and Israel will not come about by others throwing the petrol of hate onto an existing fire. To the contrary, it is compromise, tolerance and co-existence that must ultimately prevail.

I am going to make a couple of constructive suggestions. Firstly, why not support the peacemakers on both sides (the Palestinian Peace Coalition and the Peace Now groups and the Geneva Accord umbrella organisation here http://www.geneva-accord.org/ - there's even a donate option) and indeed go and visit them in both Palestine and Israel?

Secondly, I would suggest learning more about that most eloquent of all spokesmen for the Palestinian cause namely the late Edward Said (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Said-DVD/dp/B0009JJY5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293736936&sr=8-2, his autobiography Out of Place: A Memoir and the many online biographies). He was able to reach across to the other side but, at the same time, remain a vocal and prominent supporter of the Palestinian cause. It is a great tragedy that he passed on early because of disease.

When this poll closes in late January, I hope the the Digital Spy moderators will honour the majority view in that poll. If that means that we get two separate sub-forums for UK and international matters, then you will have played no small part in bringing that situation about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently, you are in a minority on this one and, according to the poll, the great majority of Forum Members would like a separation of domestic and international politics matters. Perhaps you fear a much smaller audience for your relentless and tiresome threads hence your opposition.
    It's a bit early to assume the Yes opinion is the "great majority" view. Or, for that matter, the only people who say No are campaigning FMs like CXC3000. Also this poll should not be based on whether or not you agree with CXC3000's threads. It's very easy to ignore them. I regard the inconvenience of having to do so as being heavily outweighed by the advantages of a unified forum reflecting all political subjects.
    I happen to support a fully independent and viable Palestinian state with its capital in East Jerusalem (not Ramallah as at present). I support practical relief efforts in the Palestinian territories and I contributed to the DEC Gaza Crisis charity appeal in the aftermath of the Gaza conflict (my bank and the charities concerned will be able to confirm that I made the relevant donations).

That said, your persistent biased threads have successfully brassed me off. Peace between Palestine and Israel will not come about by others throwing the petrol of hate onto an existing fire. To the contrary, it is compromise, tolerance and co-existence that must ultimately prevail.

I am going to make a couple of constructive suggestions. Firstly, why not support the peacemakers on both sides (the Palestinian Peace Coalition and the Peace Now groups and the Geneva Accord umbrella organisation here http://www.geneva-accord.org/ - there's even a donate option) and indeed go and visit them in both Palestine and Israel?

Secondly, I would suggest learning more about that most eloquent of all spokesmen for the Palestinian cause namely the late Edward Said (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Said-DVD/dp/B0009JJY5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293736936&sr=8-2, his autobiography Out of Place: A Memoir and the many online biographies). He was able to reach across to the other side but, at the same time, remain a vocal and prominent supporter of the Palestinian cause. It is a great tragedy that he passed on early because of disease.
    So you've successully hijacked this poll thread into a Middle East argument. Congratulations.

We should not be talking about splitting this forum up just because some posters enthusiastically start biased threads. How will you exclude the similarly annoying pro-BNP threads which will still infest a UK only Politics forum?
    When this poll closes in late January, I hope the the Digital Spy moderators will honour the majority view in that poll. If that means that we get two separate sub-forums for UK and international matters, then you will have played no small part in bringing that situation about.
    I'm sure the DS mods will take the poll into account, but also consider the integrity and popularity of its forums, and the negative effect of dividing them up. I personally don't want to have to look through two or more sub-forums to find all the political threads I'm interested in.

I'll ask again, what threads will go in the top level Politics forum if the sub forums are 'UK' and 'International'?

You using this poll as a direct attack on CXC3000 is unacceptable.
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You make a valid point.

It is almost as if certain FM's fear a lack of attention if the forums were split.
    Why else would they be so opposed?
    The Mods can decide on which section a thread should be in.
    They get moved all the time on other forums.

Due to the efforts of one particular poster (:() a tit-for-tat situation has developed recently and there has been a plethora of anti-Israel/anti-Muslim threads.

It's becoming ridiculous and turning the Politics
    forum into a multi-ID hell of hatred.

I'm beginning to hope for a snap General Election if only to relegate this nonsense to the bottom of page seven as it did a few months ago.

I'm with you on this.

Let democracy run its course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Well if you stopped spamming up the place with the latest story about how some Israeli minister bought a new pair of shoes or something, then we wouldn't need to.

Exactly - I want a British politics forum
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I'll ask again, what threads will go in the top level Politics forum if the sub forums are 'UK' and 'International'?

What category would threads relating to UK Forces in Afghanistan fall into? :rolleyes:

It's a daft idea. Leave things alone and if you don't like Israeli threads, don't read them.

You're not required to read every thread in the section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you stopped spamming up the place with the latest story about how some Israeli minister bought a new pair of shoes or something, then we wouldn't need to.
    So the only reason to have an International sub-forum is to exclude CXC3000?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not all FMs are British. If you cannot discern from a thread title what the content of the thread is, then there is something wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another forum is not excluding anybody
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do not (and never will) agree with CXC3000 but it is only right and proper in this democracy that he be allowed to voice his opinions.

This is supposed to be a discussion/debate forum. We should be discussing and debating, not trying to place restrictions on members, just because we don't like or have an interest in a particular subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »

Okay, putting him in a wee corner so he does not upset the majority.

Does that sound better - or worse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, putting him in a wee corner so he does not upset the majority.

Does that sound better - or worse?

Putting them in a place where like-minded people can go and have a better quality of discussion rather than having annoying people like me dipping in all of the time asking whay there's yeat another ruddy thread on the same subject.

By your argument - why don't we just have one forum for absolutely everything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    currysocks wrote: »
    You make a valid point.

It is almost as if certain FM's fear a lack of attention if the forums were split.
    Why else would they be so opposed?
    The Mods can decide on which section a thread should be in.
    They get moved all the time on other forums.

Due to the efforts of one particular poster (:() a tit-for-tat situation has developed recently and there has been a plethora of anti-Israel/anti-Muslim threads.

It's becoming ridiculous and turning the Politics
    forum into a multi-ID hell of hatred.

I'm beginning to hope for a snap General Election if only to relegate this nonsense to the bottom of page seven as it did a few months ago.
    The funny thing is, I genuinely hadn't noticed this tit-for-tat situation. So ignoring threads works, for me at least. What I have noticed of late is the increase in BNP threads, which will presumably ramp up as the spring elections approach. Creating a CXC3000 free zone (sorry "UK Politics" sub forum) won't prevent UK Politics being taken over by other, less palatable, subjects.

Basically, be careful for what you wish for.
    currysocks wrote: »
    I'm with you on this.

Let democracy run its course.
    The operators of Digital Spy might disagree with you on this. FMs don't own the forum so don't have a say in how they are run unless DS decide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rather than having annoying people like me dipping in all of the time asking whay there's yeat another ruddy thread on the same subject.

And here's the $64000 question.

Why do you find it necessary to keep dipping into threads that you know are Israel related, just so you can ask why there's another ruddy thread?

If it's not your bag, if you're sick of reading about, stop clicking on the ruddy threads in the first place.

Rocket science it ain't. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but their posts will be hidden from disapproving eyes. It's a form of apartheid. Is that really what you want?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Can we also have a separate forum for people who haven't realised that Labour are no longer in government so we can ignore their repetitive threads attacking Brown, Milliband, Harman etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, but their posts will be hidden from disapproving eyes,

No - from eyes which are not interested - just like all of the other separate forums in DS - some of them will be disapproving others just won't be interested.

How come the climate change bods can keep all of their posts in 2 or 3 threads but the Israel / Palestine bods have to have a separate thread for every tiny change?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted yes - but I'm not sure it would work.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of all people why am I not surprised you would? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - from eyes which are not interested - just like all of the other separate forums in DS - some of them will be disapproving others just won't be interested.
    There are a lot of threads I'm not interested in. I don't feel obliged to read them all. If nothing else CXC3000's threads are challenging. I'd rather see them than not.

How do you think they cope in the Football forum with threads about teams they aren't interested in?
    How come the climate change bods can keep all of their posts in 2 or 3 threads but the Israel / Palestine bods have to have a separate thread for every tiny change?
    Well the climate change bods will have to post in two forums if you have your way.
This discussion has been closed.