Options

Any other teetotallers on here?

Comments

• Options
    Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been teetotal for roughly 7 years. Was never much of a drinker, once a year at Christmas; my reason for becoming teetotal was a moral one - the sheer scale of binge drinking in this country repulses me and makes me hate alcohol.
    Vile little substance that has absolutely no good use.

Cool. I bet you're a really fun guy too. Life and soul of the party.

Not.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Exactly - certain cocktails end up tasting like fruit juice and nothing like their base spirit(s).

I'll bet you'd be able to taste the Grey Goose in one of my aunt's lemon drops. :D
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    Cool. I bet you're a really fun guy too. Life and soul of the party.

Not.

Is that an admission that without alcohol you're a boring person??
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Yes they all contain alcohol, but there is no single taste - it depends entirely on the drink, e.g. spirits are different to beer is different to wine. In some you can't taste it at all.

I think some people form an opinion before even drinking something - "this contains alcohol; I've said I don't like alcohol; therefore I will not like this".

As I said, there's plenty of alcoholic drinks I could put in front of someone and they'd be none the wiser.

You sound like you'd be none the wiser, in exactly the same way that smokers don't realise how much cigarettes stink until they give up smoking - they're so inured to it they can't detect it.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    You sound like you'd be none the wiser, in exactly the same way that smokers don't realise how much cigarettes stink until they give up smoking - they're so inured to it they can't detect it.
    O rly?
  • Options
    36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100% drug free role model here, living a clean lifestyle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am not against drink, just don't like it, don't like how it makes me feel. Although I always enjoyed being drunk lol, but can't do with making myself ill. So just don't touch it, I would still say am a good laugh when out with friends though. I do treat myself to a cocktail when out, because you can hardly taste the alchohol, but I usually only have one.
  • Options
    CrazySingerGalCrazySingerGal Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I drink alcohol such as wine and beer but I can easily go on a night out and stay sober or go as long as I want to without the need to have a drink. Sometimes though I have one of those days where only a glass of wine will make me feel better. Each to their own really. Nothing wrong with being teetotal (actually quite sensible!) and nothing wrong with having a sensible amount of alcohol.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny isn't it? People who make such a big deal out of those not drinking have always been alcoholics or heading that way in my experience.

As if drunk people are not usually repetitive, truculent, tedious, tiresome, unfunny bores. But of course in their own minds they are erudite, sharp, sexy, and hilarious to boot.

I've had much better times out sober than I was drunk. It's nice to remember what I did and not be ill the next day too, which is a bonus.

What should it matter to some if alcohol is in another person's glass or not!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Funny isn't it? People who make such a big deal out of those not drinking have always been alcoholics or heading that way in my experience.

Funny, isn't it? No-one ever starts a thread entitled I'm a moderate drinker - anyone else?' do they? It's only the puritannical teetotallers that make such a big deal out of not drinking who have a desperate need for validation by others.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    I have been teetotal for a while now, anyone else on here?

I am not teetotal for any religious or moral reason and I am not an ex-alcoholic.

Haven't drank alcohol for 10+ years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Funny, isn't it? No-one ever starts a thread entitled I'm a moderate drinker - anyone else?' do they? It's only the puritannical teetotallers that make such a big deal out of not drinking who have a desperate need for validation by others.

There's a certain amount of truth in that. There's also a certain amount of truth that some people who have underlying issues with drink get defensive whenever they encounter people who don't drink.

It's curious you enter a thread asking if there are 'any other teetotallers' simply to get narky when it turns out the answer is 'yes'.

Just saying. :)
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    On March 10th I've been stopped drinking for one year.

I wasn't an alcoholic but did drink too much - I suppose I was a bit alcohol dependent.

It was my OH who seriously wanted to stop as we aren't getting any younger and he thought we weren't doing our health much good.

I honestly never thought I would be able to do it (our social life and friends revolve around alcohol).

I read Allen Carrs - The Easy Way to Control Alcohol and haven't even wanted to touch alcohol ever since. So unbelievably easy and .........................I feel liberated TBH.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a few drinks on new year's eve, but before then I hadn't drunk any alcohol in at least five years. I just don't like the taste and on NYE I was trying it to see if that had changed. It hadn't. Won't be drinking again for a long time once more. :-)
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't like is, in response to my saying I don't drink alcohol, people saying "you might like [a particular alcoholic drink]" or "try this one". Can't they accept that I just don't like alcohol? The numerous drinks I've tried over the years have all tasted pretty much the same to me.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I understand the underlying presence of alcohol being obvious to anyone with half a taste bud I do find it hard to reconcile that with people saying that all alcoholic drinks taste the same. Actually, is the alcohol detected directly by the tongue in a similar way to other flavours or is there a more subtle effect in action? If any researchers out there need a test subject let me know. ;)
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I'm teetotal, most of the time. I had a drink at christmas and new year and last week when I went round to dinner at my son's (I had a couple of glasses of rose wine). :)
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    What I don't like is, in response to my saying I don't drink alcohol, people saying "you might like [a particular alcoholic drink]" or "try this one". Can't they accept that I just don't like alcohol? The numerous drinks I've tried over the years have all tasted pretty much the same to me.

My youngest son is exactly the same, he can't bear the taste of any alchohol, he tries sometimes,, he'll get a bottle of budweiser to toast in the new year but after a sip or two it goes down the sink. Each to their own, I say.:)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    There's a certain amount of truth in that. There's also a certain amount of truth that some people who have underlying issues with drink get defensive whenever they encounter people who don't drink.

It's curious you enter a thread asking if there are 'any other teetotallers' simply to get narky when it turns out the answer is 'yes'.

Just saying. :)

If you read the thread, I'm not getting 'narky' about the existence of non-drinkers at all. Each to their own. What I challenged was the assertion that drinkers have a problem with non-drinkers. If anything, it's the reverse.
  • Options
    Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The drinking or not drinking is irrelevant.

The boring bit is the moralising self-righteousness needed to make a thread just to crow about it, or describe something which millions of people enjoy as a "vile little substance with no practical use".
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever noticed that. It's the reverse if anything.

Whenever we get a thread about alcohol consumption, it attracts all the people just dying to boast about how little they drink and normally getting in a few digs about how daft their friends are to consume alcohol.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol, so what? It's not as though you're exercising any positive choice to improve yourself, is it? I don't like the taste of mushrooms but I don't feel the need to start a thread about it.
    It must be me that people have issues with because I get it all the time. I'm an unsociable so and so, and the people that have issues with me not drinking love to drink and get drunk. The thing is, I do drink but not enough to get drunk but I don't touch it if I'm driving , which is most of the time because it's what I do for a living.

They assume I don't drink and then start spouting stuff about non drinkers being boring etc.

I might start a thread one day about people that don't play cricket and take the moral high ground.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell, no.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger tees and tell me the total :D

Sainsbury's own Pale Cream Sherry is as good as Harvey's! :)
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's own Pale Cream Sherry is as good as Harvey's! :)

As is their vodka. :cool:
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    I have been teetotal for a while now, anyone else on here?

I am not teetotal for any religious or moral reason and I am not an ex-alcoholic.

Yes, me - what a boring old fart I am! :(