Global GMG Deal - Competition Commission

Comments

• simon243simon243 Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Bauer in thier statement said that the London FM frequency was needed if Smooth was sold as a whole operation, so they may be keen on buying it to ensure they are nearer more of a similar size to Global plus Real rebranded to Heart? Guess they danger for Global would be that Bauer will in vest in Smooth and use it to boost Magic to rival Gold or Heart?

The day Global sell an FM licence in London to Bauer will be the day hell freezes over.

There's no way on earth they'd sell an FM licence in the UK's most competitive market to their biggest competitor.

In the extremely unlikely event that they have to get rid of 102.2 in London, they'd sell it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing - just like they did with BRMB.

In fact I'd lay money on Global not selling ANYTHING to Bauer. Real XS is most likely to be sold and while Bauer would no doubt love to turn it into Kerrang or Planet Rock, I would think they'd much prefer to sell it to TeamRock which will be about as big a threat commercially as hospital radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Bauer in thier statement said that the London FM frequency was needed if Smooth was sold as a whole operation, so they may be keen on buying it to ensure they are nearer more of a similar size to Global plus Real rebranded to Heart? Guess they danger for Global would be that Bauer will in vest in Smooth and use it to boost Magic to rival Gold or Heart?
    Bauer would say that though wouldnt they? Just because Bauer have said the FM licence should be sold doesnt mean it will. The CC havent identified it as a licence that needs selling. I cannot see Global offering to sell an FM licence in London if they dont have to and it wouldnt work in Bauer's favour anyway as Global would rather sell to anyone but Bauer.

Remember Global are looking after Global and Bauer are looking after Bauer. Anyone who thinks Bauer's report was about protecting listeners and advertising is living in cloud cuckoo land!
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    In the extremely unlikely event that they have to get rid of 102.2 in London, they'd sell it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing - just like they did with BRMB.

Harsh. But funny.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    The day Global sell an FM licence in London to Bauer will be the day hell freezes over.

There's no way on earth they'd sell an FM licence in the UK's most competitive market to their biggest competitor.

In fact I'd lay money on Global not selling ANYTHING to Bauer.

Selling to a 3rd party doesn't prevent the station from ending up in Bauer's hands a few months down the line.
    Possibly at a small profit to the 3rd party.

Not sure when the CC's report is due, I know it's been mentioned on here somewhere, but it's bound to be well watered-down on the interim report. So Global will probably hang on to Smooth, and Real with the exception of a token sell-off of a less significant station.

Like the BRMB comment :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Harsh. But funny.

I would say Phil and David know how to run a station
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    Selling to a 3rd party doesn't prevent the station from ending up in Bauer's hands a few months down the line. Possibly at a small profit to the 3rd party.

I suspect there'd be a clause in the sale agreement to ensure that can't happen.
    Not sure when the CC's report is due, I know it's been mentioned on here somewhere, but it's bound to be well watered-down on the interim report. So Global will probably hang on to Smooth, and Real with the exception of a token sell-off of a less significant station.

CC report due May 22nd or shortly thereafter I believe. And yes, I think you're right. I predict they'll have to sell off Real XS, the old Marcher Group cluster in North Wales & the Wirral (Heart will replace Real there), maybe one or two of the less important Smooths and possibly Capital in Cardiff (though Ashley won't like that).
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next you'll be claiming that Gold only plays 300 tracks...

No I've already said that.. Keep up!!
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selling to a 3rd party doesn't prevent the station from ending up in Bauer's hands a few months down the line.
    Possibly at a small profit to the 3rd party.

This is similar to the situation on Glasgow where Global may be forced to sell Smooth 105.2, and Bauer being an purchaser with Clyde 2 moved onto FM to become 105.2 Clyde 2.

The obvious appeal of this idea is what makes it unlikely. I would imagine Global would much prefer to sell to some kind of independent local consortium would would try and do a 'stand-alone' service for Glasgow.

Perhaps a clause might be invented in such a sale or sales preventing a sale to Bauer for a set period of time.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CC report due May 22nd or shortly thereafter I believe. And yes, I think you're right. I predict they'll have to sell off Real XS, the old Marcher Group cluster in North Wales & the Wirral (Heart will replace Real there), maybe one or two of the less important Smooths and possibly Capital in Cardiff (though Ashley won't like that).

In the interests of fairness, if a station in Scotland has to go at least one will have to go in Wales (and vice versa).

Either both countries will get the "improved devolved nation news service" on Real (Heart) or neither of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    In the interests of fairness, if a station in Scotland has to go at least one will have to go in Wales (and vice versa).

Not necessarily - in Scotland Global has some meaningful local competition in the form of strong, heritage Bauer stations.

In Wales there is no such competition.

That's what the CC's interested in - the effect the takeover will have on the advertising market. The issue of plurality in terms of news is separate and dealt with by Ofcom.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily - in Scotland Global has some meaningful local competition in the form of strong, heritage Bauer stations.

In Wales there is no such competition.

That's what the CC's interested in - the effect the takeover will have on the advertising market. The issue of plurality in terms of news is separate and dealt with by Ofcom.

The problem is that Ofcom are not able to impose that extra news on Real Wales. The law is clear that if there is a transfer of ownership Ofcom cannot choose to burden the new owners with additional programming costs that the previous owners didn't have to provide.

I think the Welsh Government will be very unhappy if this is the outcome.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happens, I'll think that Global would offload Real XS to Team Rock, Ex-Red Dragon to Orion to rebrand back or go as Free Radio. Possibly Smooth or Capital Scotland (which is in a different part of Glasgow, unlike Smooth/Real) could be sold onto Orion as Galaxy 2.0? Heart and Smooth Scotland have each a different format. I think Money wise, they'll sell off Capital as you'll hear most songs on Heart. (rap excluded) I know that Real Yorkshire is Seperate from Capital 105. But you'd be mad to throw away Smooth Scotland which is only needs a new lick of paint. Plus, it'll prevent 'Clyde 2' from going on FM and Money being spent on moving Capital Scotland (which already has new studio equipment - ££££)
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    rocker1990 wrote: »
    I would say Phil and David know how to run a station

I would have said the same at one point but there's plenty of evidence that says otherwise.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    I think the Smooth brand is too big to lose and probably one of the main reasons Global purchased GMG. So chingan't see any spare FM freqs.

Don't be so sure. The main reason Global wanted GMG is so that they can extend the Heart brand.

It is true that they won't want to get rid of anything they don't have to and the Smooth stations are large and could do well but they don't all have to be one network, The odd stations here and there could be disposed of and if there are any that don't have a Heart station in the area I'm sure they'd look into the possibility of turning it into Heart if the licence allows of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »

Either both countries will get the "improved devolved nation news service" on Real (Heart) or neither of them.

No, any decision will be made market by market.

Also, Global won't be able to 'overdeliver' on a selloff in one market to appease the CC re others.

For example, as has been suggested, they can't just sell off Real Yorkshire and and then as a result be more likely to be allowed to keep all their Scottish stations, say.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,888
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    How would being on FM be fantastic. It s on DAB in your area, in stereo. The playlist needs a large dose of spice.

DAB, although good in this area, is flaky on the move. Also, not every room has a DAB radio in it, my 70's Beocentre only has FM, and it is on that that I listen most. That's why Gold on 100.4 would be fantastic, David :)
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    As predicted (I think by Black Label), Ewen and Cat have just tweeted that Real Radio's doing win a car a day next week.

Going out on a high. Good news for the loyal listeners. I can't think of another radio station that's had such a send-off (without it officially being a send-off, if you catch my drift).

Q96 went into life support, was suddenly mentioned in the past tense and changed into a rock station, Beat 106 had a final link tribute on Hogmanay but its demise was not mentioned before, XFM Scotland literally fell off the air. Not sure what happened to Galaxy Scotland mind.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Don't be so sure. The main reason Global wanted GMG is so that they can extend the Heart brand..

It's certainly going to be interesting. As Global appear to be very brand conscious, I feel the existing Smooth brand is a very high priority for them as well as Heart.

I really hope that Smooth 70s isn't closed down to make way for Gold on the national dab mux. Gold as a digital only station sitting alongside Smooth on FM could well happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    As predicted (I think by Black Label), Ewen and Cat have just tweeted that Real Radio's doing win a car a day next week.

Going out on a high. Good news for the loyal listeners. I can't think of another radio station that's had such a send-off (without it officially being a send-off, if you catch my drift).

Q96 went into life support, was suddenly mentioned in the past tense and changed into a rock station, Beat 106 had a final link tribute on Hogmanay but its demise was not mentioned before, XFM Scotland literally fell off the air. Not sure what happened to Galaxy Scotland mind.[/QUOTEYou mean...

Galaxy did well at the time. question is, why the roll-out was aborted and Capital took over?
  • SportKaSportKa Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Global will sell Capital FM in the regions to NRJ, thus satisfying all CC issues except in Wales where the Real Radio North Wales licence will be sold to Nation Radio to expand north on FM.

The rest of the Real network will become Heart, and Smooth will continue albeit from London.

Real XS will be sold to TeamRock.

Probably.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Galaxy did well at the time. question is, why the roll-out was aborted and Capital took over?

Because they couldn't sell it to London advertisers. And most media groups are based in the capital.

Whatever image it tried to portray, many down south will have seen it as a downmarket northern dance brand.

I'm sure people have said on here before they Ashley Tabor was actually desperate to keep the brand, but they just couldn't make it work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they couldn't sell it to London advertisers. And most media groups are based in the capital.

Whatever image it tried to portray, many down south will have seen it as a downmarket northern dance brand.

I'm sure people have said on here before they Ashley Tabor was actually desperate to keep the brand, but they just couldn't make it work.
    If that was the case, then Smooth London will no doubt be rebranded to Gold FM. Which to me seems likely.

Say if NRJ acquires any of the Capital regions, where will they network the output from? or will it be under franchise agreement with Global?

I could see Galaxy returning in the north if Orion buys 'any' of the Capital regions (unless it's the Ex-Red Dragon region). Plus Global could make money by selling the branding rights. I don't think Phil would rebrand them as Free Radio. Because he was there when Galaxy launched in Yorkshire years ago. Plus he hasn't got a 15-34 year old station in his portfolio, so Galaxy would fit right in there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SportKa wrote: »
    Global will sell Capital FM in the regions to NRJ, thus satisfying all CC issues except in Wales where the Real Radio North Wales licence will be sold to Nation Radio to expand north on FM.

The rest of the Real network will become Heart, and Smooth will continue albeit from London.

Real XS will be sold to TeamRock.

Probably.
    Real XS will go to TeamRock I think that deal may have secretly already been done. However it's just too hard to guess the rest.

I also feel that rather than sell the North Wales Heart stations they will instead sell the Real North Wales licence and probably to Town and County.

I am not convinced there will be a need to sell Capital South Wales, I know everyone thinks its a bang on cert but im not so sure. If they do sell Capital I can't see it being to NRJ, more like Orion. I also think there is no way we will see the Galaxy name return. Global own it and Global will keep it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Real XS will go to TeamRock I think that deal may have secretly already been done. However it's just too hard to guess the rest

I also think there is no way we will see the Galaxy name return. Global own it and Global will keep it.

How long will it take Team Rock to rebrand Real XS? I'm sure Global will have to wait for XS to disappear before Heart starts rolling out.

it may be that they'll sell any Capital regions under a franchise agreement. (Adventure Radio)?

If Orion (however) gets them, first of all they'll see how much Global wants for the (Galaxy) branding and them decide. I'm sure they did this when getting the naming rights for GEM 106? Global would rather earn money from. Besides, they won't be using it anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Q96 went into life support, was suddenly mentioned in the past tense and changed into a rock station, Beat 106 had a final link tribute on Hogmanay but its demise was not mentioned before, XFM Scotland literally fell off the air. Not sure what happened to Galaxy Scotland mind.

In the runup to the rename, Galaxy started playing 'Capital Is Coming' sweepers and then the Galaxy name was dropped altogether with the station simply known as 'Capital Is Coming'.

Like I say, having a big promo splurge BEFORE a relaunch is highly unusual. I;ve never heard of it before. Perhaps it was done to catch Bauer on the hop, and/or perhaps it was felt that something needed to be done ASAP to reverse declining audience numbers,