Glucose testing at home (diabetes)

d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My OH has recently been told he needs to test his blood sugar at home and we had a lesson with the nurse about how to do it. But we have tried twice at home and only got error messages on the machine so we are obviously doing something fundementally wrong!

Can anyone tell me - which way round should the strip that goes into the monitoring machine be put in? I have read through all of the instructions and I can't see the answer - one side of the strip is plain white, the other has metallic bits on it.

I apologise for sounding really thick but I am the least practical person in the world and it's stressing me that I can't get a proper reading for him.:(

Comments

• jules_cjules_c Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    To a certain extent, it depends on the meter. With most of them you put the metal end in facing up and then let the blood be"drawn"into the other end.

I would suggest you go back to the chemist and ask them to make sure you get the correct technique.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we've been putting it with the metal bit facing up but it comes up with either E2 or E3 which suggests an error, doesn't it?
    You're right, I should check with the chemist, will do that tomorrow.:)
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    My OH has recently been told he needs to test his blood sugar at home and we had a lesson with the nurse about how to do it. But we have tried twice at home and only got error messages on the machine so we are obviously doing something fundementally wrong!

Can anyone tell me - which way round should the strip that goes into the monitoring machine be put in? I have read through all of the instructions and I can't see the answer - one side of the strip is plain white, the other has metallic bits on it.

I apologise for sounding really thick but I am the least practical person in the world and it's stressing me that I can't get a proper reading for him.:(

You would have to say what make of meter it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, yes it's a contour metre. It looks like we've got teh strip in the right way round, I just don't know why we get E2 or E3 instead of a reading :confused:
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could the battery be low? the meter my son had said one of those codes when it was low, it could also be that there is not enough blood on the strip, if its none of them if you type the name of the meter into google theres usually lots of online videos showing you how to work it.
  • NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    https://simplewins.esecurecare.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/27

says E2 means there's not enough blood on the strip.

https://simplewins.esecurecare.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/28

says E3 means you might be trying to re-use test strips (you can't re-use them even if you got an error the first time) and/or not waiting until the flashing blood drop shows on the screen before you apply blood to the strip.

Good luck, I know it's difficult when you first start out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, I did think there was plenty of blood on the strip but maybe not enough (he bleeds easily due to his heart medication!) Thanks for the links.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    With some machines you also have to check the code on the machine matches the code on the test strips. The code can be found on the container of the strips. Also make sure that you place the side of the strip onto the blood so it draws it in. Don't just 'wipe' it on the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't want to start a new thread so I have resurrected this one....

We have got the hang of doing the testing now!

However, we have a holiday abroad booked for next year - what do people do when they go abroad?

Do you take the testing equipment with you?

Do you pack it in hand luggage? Do you need a letter off the doctor, or to notify the airline?

He may have to go on insulin injections before then anyway so that's a whole other issue with going abroad.

Thanks in advance....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diabetes Uk has something that might be helpful, its info about kids but i imagine the practicalities are similar:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Information-for-parents/Living-with-diabetes-new/Travel-and-holidays/Flying/
  • angel.vampangel.vamp Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pack all my meds in my hand luggage , get a letter from the doc to say I carry stabbies (needles) .
    I have never bothered to tell airline and I have never been asked for the doctors letter they say I should have.
    Earlier this year ,my bag did show up a liquid not in it's little plastic bag and when security asked if there were any other liquids I pulled out both pens and was told no cuddle that's your meds they don't count. But I do think it was worth the £15 for the doctors letter just to be on the safe side
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would take all medication in hand luggage, just in case cases go astray.

if he ends up on insulin, they will let you take liquid insulin on planes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I never considered them going missing so we definitely need to pack them in hand luggage, and a doctor's note sounds like a good plan too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, what types of snacks would you recommend? He has been told to cut down on the fruit (he was having up to 6 portions a day and has been told no more than 3)

I can't persuade him to try carrot sticks! Although he might have them with dips.

Just checked out the Diabetes UK site and he can have nuts which would be handy.

He hasn't really taken his diabetes seriously in the past but I think he's realised he has to now he may have to move onto insulin injections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my Dad has been diabetic and injecting insulin for 20 odd years, his usual daily snack intake is a banana, an apple, a 2 finger kit kat or a 1 finger twix and a small packet (25g) of crisps - however he drives trucks so theres a lot of physical work involved.

I think in all honesty its a case of trial and error for the individual person as it took him a while to figure out what worked for him.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be you're not getting enough blood on the strip. My parents both have diabetes and I have used the machine myself to test my sugar levels and the metallic bit goes definitely into the machine.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest, what types of snacks would you recommend? He has been told to cut down on the fruit (he was having up to 6 portions a day and has been told no more than 3)

I can't persuade him to try carrot sticks! Although he might have them with dips.

Just checked out the Diabetes UK site and he can have nuts which would be handy.

He hasn't really taken his diabetes seriously in the past but I think he's realised he has to now he may have to move onto insulin injections.
    Nuts are good (all types, AFAIK) - also Pepperami, and a lot of cheesy snacks are low carb too.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Might be you're not getting enough blood on the strip. My parents both have diabetes and I have used the machine myself to test my sugar levels and the metallic bit goes definitely into the machine.
    That relates to the original question which the OP has sorted out him/herself (this being an oldish thread). He/she has raised a secondary question at Post #10 on a different aspect.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    That relates to the original question which the OP has sorted out him/herself (this being an oldish thread). He/she has raised a secondary question at Post #10 on a different aspect.

Sorry - been up all night and didn't read properly :o
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Sorry - been up all night and didn't read properly :o
    Not to worry, we all do it!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Celery sticks spread with cream cheese is good and low carb. He could also roll up slices of ham or turkey and dip those in some mustard, or cucumbers and yoghurt dip, boiled eggs, mozzarella, gherkins, pistachios, sugar-free jelly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, some interesting suggestions for snacks!