Amazon Prime Air

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30396296

"Amazon has said it may conduct more of its drone research outside the US because of strict regulation of the unmanned aircraft."

I really hope they don't get approval for this. The thought of seeing and even worse, hearing thousands of those drones buzzing around the place all day (and night!) is a horrible thought.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I love this idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Amazing idea :D
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Strangest comment of the week.

Why do you 'despair' of people who don't just sit at home all day????
    I know, it's really odd - when your estimated delivery date is between 10th December - 5th January, it's a long time to sit at home :D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30396296

"Amazon has said it may conduct more of its drone research outside the US because of strict regulation of the unmanned aircraft."

I really hope they don't get approval for this. The thought of seeing and even worse, hearing thousands of those drones buzzing around the place all day (and night!) is a horrible thought.

Don't worry, the first time someone gets injured or killed as a result of one of these things crashing into someone or something, the idea will be abandoned for ever in towns and cities in places like the UK (though probably it will never get approved in the first place for such places). Stupid conception... except possibly to remote outlying areas hard to access by more normal means. If they can make money from that, good luck to them.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will never happen. End of.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

I'd be careful of the 'never' word. This is all feasible with existing technology, and lots of the objections voiced here are either nonsense, or already overcome. It's probably only autonomous vehicle regs that are stopping it right now. The idea of it isn't to replace DPD, but to get you your book or DVD or new outfit in a couple of hours. There wond be any problem with waiting in, you'll be expecting it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard Jeff Bezos in the below video saying that it would be about 2020 when deliveries with drones to start happening. He's currently seeking permission, or whatever, to fly the drones once he's perfected them for delivering people's orders. Drones will obviously only be used for media and small items, anything else will get delivered by vans. The drones might use a GPS system to get to their destination. If the drones will be travelling in a straight line, which would obviously use up less energy, I can't see how that would work. Unless Jeff will be sending his own satellite up to be used with his drones when the time comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_vxLNooa4