Options

18 year old dating a 23 year old?

Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My female mates new bf is 23 (she being the gf is 18). I don't see a problem with the age gap but one of her mates does, is it a big deal?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    No. That is not a big deal. There's an 8 year gap between my mum & dad. 5 years is nowt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Gosh... I hope it's not a big deal... I'm currently 'woo-ing' a very lovely 18 year old and I am... well, let's just say, a little older than 23!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's a big deal. Now, if she was 8, that would be a big deal. :D
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its completely fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    Gosh... I hope it's not a big deal... I'm currently 'woo-ing' a very lovely 18 year old and I am... well, let's just say, a little older than 23!

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!!

*Don't worry, Riverchelt has it covered*
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 37 and the OH is 42. No problem for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It proves my teacher wrong - 23 does go into 18. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that is bad.

The equation is anything more than 1.3 years older is too old. This is related to the rate of growth in terms of maturity, intelligence and generational gaps and experience of generational gaps.

So for an 18 year old, that would be 23.4 years old.

For a 16 year old, that would be 20.8

For a 20 year old, that would 26.

For a 23 year old, that would be 29.9.

For a 25 year old, that would be 32.5.

For a 30 year old, that would be 39 years old.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19 years between me and OH, and it hasn't ever caused a problem. Although sometimes I feel like the older one in the relationship, he has a lot more energy than me.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kablamo wrote: »
    I don't think that is bad.

The equation is anything more than 1.3 years older is too old. This is related to the rate of growth in terms of maturity, intelligence and generational gaps and experience of generational gaps.

So for an 18 year old, that would be 23.4 years old.

For a 16 year old, that would be 20.8

For a 20 year old, that would 26.

For a 23 year old, that would be 29.9.

For a 25 year old, that would be 32.5.

For a 30 year old, that would be 39 years old.

Where did you read that? (Not questioning it btw, just wondering.)
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a big deal back in the old days most women married an older man it was encouraged by their parents as they were more likely to be financially secure. Nowadays that's a pile of crap if two people are happy the age should not matter for either sex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TPL wrote: »
    Where did you read that? (Not questioning it btw, just wondering.)

I came up with it myself. After reading and listening and hearing about this I thought it was about time somebody stood up and gave people the facts.

Stop freaking people out and stay within your league.

For instance, the league for a 30 year old would be 23 to 39.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kablamo wrote: »

That "equation" is a load of generalized rubbish! There's no equation that can work out how old is too old, it depends entirely on the people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    That "equation" is a load of generalized rubbish! There's no equation that can work out how old is too old, it depends entirely on the people.

If you venture out of the league then be ready for trouble. It is a sacred truth that binds our world.
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fine, they're both adults and women are rumoured to be more mature than men. 12 years between my parents and nearly went out with a 24-year-old myself when I was 18.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    half your age plus 7 works as well.

So for 30 that gives 22 to 46
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »

I don't know if I want to shake you by the hand or throat for being such a jammy git :D.

But then again I am thinking of askingout this gorgeous 20yr old out & I am 33. My last serious girlfriend was 23, so only 3yrs younger than her :D.

In all seriousness, at the age of 18 she is legally an adult, so shouldn't be a big deal who she goes out with. But then there are members of the bubblewrap brigade who are totally against age differences in people younger that 21. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JoHoJoHo Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I want to shake you by the hand or throat for being such a jammy git :D.

But then again I am thinking of askingout this gorgeous 20yr old out & I am 33. My last serious girlfriend was 23, so only 3yrs younger than her :D.

In all seriousness, at the age of 18 she is legally an adult, so shouldn't be a big deal who she goes out with. But then there are members of the bubblewrap brigade who are totally against age differences in people younger that 21. :rolleyes:

Well its certainly something to brag to your mates about when you're down the local, so why not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Yes, but 18 year olds are like children compared to people at least mid-20s.

If you happy just to get some nice young snatch out of the relationship, then fine. But don't expect anything else beyond some Hollyoaks-like storyline.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesX wrote: »

If you happy just to get some nice young snatch out of the relationship, then fine. But don't expect anything else beyond some Hollyoaks-like storyline.

I'd settle for a hollyoaks-like storyline in my love life right now ;)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Some are but many aren't. I'd caution a 16 y/o against it but at 18, there's not much to worry about.

As for the 1.3x formula someone posted, well it's clearly ridiculous to suggest that 30 y/o's should limit themselves to the age range 23 to 39. If someone doesn't know their own mind by 30, they never will!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    as long as it's legal, there are no limits:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    bubbablue wrote: »
    as long as it's legal, there are no limits:cool:

Nice first post.

Hmmm, perhaps I'm slightly bitter in that I am 24, going to a university with 18 year olds yet I look about 18 myself, thus diminishing that whole "older guy" persona.

Oh the fun I've had in the library computer room, surrounded by attractive young girls sporting "Leavers 09" hoodies....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Nice first post.

Hmmm, perhaps I'm slightly bitter in that I am 24, going to a university with 18 year olds yet I look about 18 myself, thus diminishing that whole "older guy" persona.

Oh the fun I've had in the library computer room, surrounded by attractive young girls sporting "Leavers 09" hoodies....

You're only young once James, enjoy it whilst it lasts. ;)

So many women... not enough time!
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    half your age plus 7 works as well.

So for 30 that gives 22 to 46

That's what I've heard before half+7. I'm dating a 31 year old, and I'm 23 and he's more immature than I am Haha! So you know it just depends on the people.

23 and 18 both adults, can probably decide for themselves.