Options

Blood Donors , Thank You

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
Forum Member
✭✭
I would like to publicly thank you all for your donations , at this time my wife is having her weekly 3 units at the hospital , it is keeping her alive and allowing her to have a reasonable life .
So a very big thanks from Uncle :):)

Comments

• Options
    Barneygumble84Barneygumble84 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    You're most welcome.

Am going to make a deposit this week, enjoy it!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And put a sticker on your door/window advertising the fact and you'll never be bothered by Jehovah's Witnesses.
  • Options
    Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    I always feel awkward if I don't stick around for a tea and custard cream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have coffee and a bourbon then. Or even a hobnob.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Orange juice and a Kit-Kat, surely?
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    :o

I feel guilty now: I haven't given for ages.

:o
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant and I'd echo those thanks. I'd love to give blood myself but as I'm a pierced up druggy queerfag I'm not allowed. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, that's lovely Uncle Fester. :)
  • Options
    miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not abl to give, for many reasons, I was for years below the recommended weight, I am aneamic, and suffer with low blood pressure :(
    I sincerely wish I could.
    But on the plus side, I am above target weight, my aneamia has subsided and my blood pressure 'seems' to have settled. I have an appointment at my doctors tomorrow and I will be having a check up to determine wether or not I can 'finally' give blood! :D
    Fingers crossed for me!
    (by the way, I despise needles, but I still want to do this, I feel that it is worth it to save lives!)

ETA: LOVELY thread Uncle
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Aw, best wishes to your wife, Uncle Fester!

For what it's worth, I left an armful with them on Monday to claim my free biccy - tell her she's welcome to have first dibs on it (there's lots of iron in it apparently!)
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miss-kitty wrote: »
    I am not abl to give, for many reasons, I was for years below the recommended weight, I am aneamic, and suffer with low blood pressure :(
    I sincerely wish I could.
    But on the plus side, I am above target weight, my aneamia has subsided and my blood pressure 'seems' to have settled. I have an appointment at my doctors tomorrow and I will be having a check up to determine wether or not I can 'finally' give blood! :D
    Fingers crossed for me!
    (by the way, I despise needles, but I still want to do this, I feel that it is worth it to save lives!)

ETA: LOVELY thread Uncle

*high5*
    Here's hoping you are able to help, for both your and their sake miss-kitty. :)
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I used to give, but I had a cornea transplant back in 2007 and can't give anymore :(

Why is that the case for donor patients, I don't understand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Ah Schucks.:o ... you're welcome (or the Mrs is!) hope all is well.

I can remember being at the donor place recently and while we were waiting to be called to the tables the lady next to me was talking to her friend about their blood types, and she said (in a rather posh and pompous voice) "I'm an AB+ which is quite rare, so they are always especially nice to me" Her friend just made a comment about being "common as muck O+" at which point one of the nurses says "the fact that it is a common blood type means we need more of it, you are more valuable to us" Pompous lady firmly put in her place me thinks :D

Would it be wrong to mention I only started giving blood as my then employer allowed us to do this in work time at the civic centre over the road..:o In my defence I have kept on giving for 20+ years!
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad gave blood regularly and got a 50 pint gold medal at one stage
    I used to donate and would love to still and would love to be on the bone marrow reg. But I had an anaphylactic shock in 2006 and they wont allow me since then , I guess its being cautious for the patients and so I must accept that .
    But well done everyone who does , I have seen the real need in paediatrics and believe me many would have died without the generosity of donors,.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to publicly thank you all for your donations , at this time my wife is having her weekly 3 units at the hospital , it is keeping her alive and allowing her to have a reasonable life .
    So a very big thanks from Uncle :):)

I'd like to add my voice to this.

All the best to you and your wife, Uncle Fester.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    gamercraig wrote: »
    I used to give, but I had a cornea transplant back in 2007 and can't give anymore :(

Why is that the case for donor patients, I don't understand.

BSE (more specifically Creuzfeld Jakov disease) is carried in blood. Unfortunately, before it was picked up on, it went unscreened for many years into the blood transfusion system. It can live dormant for a lifetime, yet affect others, so they simply don't take the risk.
  • Options
    supergirlblibssupergirlblibs Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member

:eek: .... That's why I go :D

But seriously - anyone who doesn't donate but can should give it a go ... I haven't been able to donate for a while due to illness/knocking myself out :o but i'll be back in September giving my pint :D
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the best for your wife OP. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Ah Schucks.:o ... you're welcome (or the Mrs is!) hope all is well.

Would it be wrong to mention I only started giving blood as my then employer allowed us to do this in work time at the civic centre over the road..:o In my defence I have kept on giving for 20+ years!

i don't think the reason is that bad but then i only started going as it was a bet with the people that i work with went i was 18 that i wouldn't be able to as i was too scared of the needle! i still give regulary now but always have to look away when the needle goes in as i hate it but quite like to see my blood when it is being collected i am quite strange!

I am giving on the 20th! unfortunately they have stopped having tug biscuits there as they are too expensive!!

but thank you for thanking me for giving!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are most welcome.:)

Sadly I can't give any more as I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.:cry: I had my 'retirement' certificate in the post last week. (Retired at 36 - I wish!) I managed 18 donations but wanted to at least achieve my silver award.:cry:

Best wishes to you and your wife. Let's hope her life is long, happy and fulfilled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the other thread about your wifes illness. Hope things are a bit more positve now.

All the best Uncle F.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I wish I could give, but I myself have had a blood transfusion. All good wishes t.o your wife OP
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife is looking much perkier today , I just started to give her 10 days of Chemo (2 jabs daily ) :)
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to your wife Uncle Fester and you have reminded me that it is time I went and donated again.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love they way they tweak the guidelines. Yesterday when I went, they gave instructions to do specific leg exercises to avoid fainting.
    How does that work?