HDR-Fox T2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
Forum Member
Hi

Thinking of buying one of these imminently to replace my TalkTalk+ Box. TalkTalk + seems to require an engineer visit at least twice a year so going to ditch them entirely and move to BE.

Just wondered if it was possible to view recordings on a PC connected to the same network as the Humax? Either via streaming or file transfer. I read you can do this on one website, but not anywhere else.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The upgrade to the HDR which we hope will arrive in the next month will increase the "Digital Media Server" support, the problem is that any device that wants to connect to the set-top box must be compatible and should support DLNA with DTCP-IP. I believe some Sony laptops support this but have been unable to confirm this. The Humax HD-Fox T2 supports it because that is what we use for testing, but finding other devices which support DLNA *with* DTCP-IP has been difficult.

Bob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. Also in the update is iPlayer support I believe? Will this be streaming only, or will you be able to download like you can with the Windows client? I guess the former, but wanted to check if there were any rumours to the contrary.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you transfer recordings to usb stick or HD, like you can with the Foxsat HDR?

What format are they in? Mpeg? or .ts?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you transfer recordings to usb stick or HD, like you can with the Foxsat HDR?

What format are they in? Mpeg? or .ts?

.ts is a container (transport stream), SD digital TV is mpeg2 contained in a transport stream container usually with a .ts file extention. Programme stream files like those used on a DVD have the same mpeg2 in a file with a .mpg extension. Conversion is simple and lossless. HD transmissions are h264 (mpeg4) also in a transport stream format but using Freeview+ HD they are recorded to hdd encrypted so will only work on the machine that recorded it.

afaik Files exported from the Humax Freeview Twin Tuner are .ts format similar to the Freesat ones, and yes usb transfer and replay of external video is supported.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timewarp wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Also in the update is iPlayer support I believe? Will this be streaming only, or will you be able to download like you can with the Windows client? I guess the former, but wanted to check if there were any rumours to the contrary.

Streaming only iPlayer is useless to me, my broadband isn't fast enough. Even at my parents' place with 15mbps, streaming iPlayer has a hiccup every 5 or 10 minues due to occasional network glitches. I don't understand why everyone is so keen on streaming, it sucks. Download is the way to go. Sadly ITV Player, 4OD and five's equivalent don't support download, which means I never use them. Thank heavens for the licence fee and the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    The upgrade to the HDR which we hope will arrive in the next month will increase the "Digital Media Server" support, the problem is that any device that wants to connect to the set-top box must be compatible and should support DLNA with DTCP-IP. I believe some Sony laptops support this but have been unable to confirm this. The Humax HD-Fox T2 supports it because that is what we use for testing, but finding other devices which support DLNA *with* DTCP-IP has been difficult.

I have a two year old Sony laptop (Vista 32 bit Home Ultimate) which claims to be DLNA compiant. I'm currently using it as a server to play .xvid files on my HDR Fox T2. How do I check if it supports DTCP/IP?