My daughter has smuggled a turkey

India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Didn't know whether to put this here, or in pets...but more people look here.
My daughter (19) helps her friend out at a farm. Her mate keeps some animals there and goes twice a day (pays rent to the farmer) and my daughter goes over a few times a week to help out.
There is a huge shed there with turkeys in and my daughter says it's in a real state and they are all really cramped...as you see on turkey farms. Well I find out today that, at the beginning of December, she found one smallish one with a limpy leg and she felt sorry for it. So, she took it and persuaded her friend to let it stay with some of her chickens for a while. Her and her mate have been looking after it. I did tell her off about stealing but I do understand why she did it. She knows it was wrong and I've made her put £20 through the farmer's letterbox (anonymously).

Of course, due to the time of year, most of the other turkeys have gone now. She says it's adorable and very affectionate and snuggles in on her lap. It follows her around and comes when it's called (she's named it Eddie Gizzard). But, her friend has said she can't have it for much longer.
So...this is why I eventually get told today and where the emotional blackmail comes in. I told her last year...no more animals, as I get too attached and heartbroken when they die. I've rung around wildlife centres but nobody wants a gimpy legged turkey.
I already have 2 dogs and a parrot and really don't want to love something else, as I know it would get spoilt rotten and have the run of the house.
Can anyone think of somewhere that would want it? My heart says..let it come and live here but my head says I'm far too neurotic for any more animals.
Don't anyone say eat it...as we're vegetarians. :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll eat it for you.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andykel wrote: »
    I'll eat it for you.

Noooooo. Not quite what I had in mind for the poor little mite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask a local butcher if they'd like it free of charge. Hopefully, they'll take it away alive & then make their own decision about whether to keep it that way.

While I understand your daughter was concerned about the turkey, at 19 she should have had a bit more sense. It's pointless removing an animal from one situation only for it to end up where it still can't be looked after properly, & you shouldn't feel blackmailed into having an animal to look after that you yourself don't feel able to take on. :(
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, bless your daughter. Sounds like you raised a good 'un :) I'm going to be absolutely no help at all and side with her.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease can you keep him????
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Keep him. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask a local butcher if they'd like it free of charge. Hopefully, they'll take it away alive & then make their own decision about whether to keep it that way.

I'd be sending it to its death. I really want him to live till old age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A butcher should not take a turkey with a dodgy provenance. The only solution is to keep it as a pet of sorts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I understand your daughter was concerned about the turkey, at 19 she should have had a bit more sense. It's pointless removing an animal from one situation only for it to end up where it still can't be looked after properly.

I see your point, but it is and will be looked after properly. It would otherwise be someone's dinner by now. I don't think she really thought it through and it was just an impulse thing. Although all our animals have been rescues and unwanteds.
    I would have saved all of them if I could. ;) She's shown me pics of it 'cos she knows how stupid I am over animals. I'm so tempted to let it live here as family but I know nothing about turkeys.
    I'm going to get her to ring round further rescue places tomorrow. I've warned her not to bring it home, as then I know what the outcome will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    A butcher should not take a turkey with a dodgy provenance. The only solution is to keep it as a pet of sorts.
    I didn't mean to sell on. :D I meant a butcher might know of someone who keeps such birds or will know how to kill it humanely if that's the only solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »
    I see your point, but it is and will be looked after properly. It would otherwise be someone's dinner by now. I don't think she really thought it through and it was just an impulse thing.
    I would have saved all of them if I could. ;) She's shown me pics of it 'cos she knows how stupid I am over animals. I'm so tempted to let it live here as family but I know nothing about turkeys.
    I'm going to get her to ring round further rescue places tomorrow. I've warned her not to bring it home, as then I know what the outcome will be.
    Good. If you stand firm on your decision not to keep it, the effort she has to put into finding another home for it might make her think twice before doing such a thing again. It's easy to be concerned about an animal's welfare, but I don't think it's right to remove it from one situation without being sure where it will end up long-term. :)

As for not knowing anything about turkeys, they go great with some roasties, cranberry sauce and some home-made stuffing. As you don't want to eat him, that might not be much help, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A turkey is livestock (as well as a possible pet) so your daughter might need permission from the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food; she might get advice there on what conditions are necessary to keep a turkey.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    £20 is far too much for a dodgy turkey.

A fiver would have been more than enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    A turkey is livestock (as well as a possible pet) so your daughter might need permission from the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food; she might get advice there on what conditions are necessary to keep a turkey.

It was bad enough when she brought two guinea pigs home. She's also brought home injured birds, mice, rats, slugs, frogs and a dead cat (not a lot I could do with that).
    I guess while it's still on the farm it's ok, as they must have all the stuff that covers it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    £20 is far too much for a dodgy turkey.

A fiver would have been more than enough.

Aw at it being dodgy. It's adorable with its little limp.
    I think my conscience (sp?) got the better of me, as she'd stolen it.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Keep the turkey. It sounds like he is already a pet. :)
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatten him up for next Christmas OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Keep it.

Good karma for you and your daughter :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking round the net for info on turkeys and came across this...
    http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id47.html

WTF :confused:
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Keep it, you sound like an amazing parent.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any kind of children's petting farm type thing in your area? somewhere like that might take it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    Is there any kind of children's petting farm type thing in your area? somewhere like that might take it

I did think of that but our local one has been closed down. I'll google some more further away tomorrow. It could be worth a day trip out to find a nice home for the little one.
    As some are saying on here...I'm so tempted to keep him but I'm too scared of growing to love something else. The guinea pigs died last year and I still take their ashes to bed with me every night. :o
    Ideally I think he should be with others of his own kind.
    Plus my parrot rules the house and I don't think he'd take kindly to having another bird. He bullies the poor dogs as it is.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »
    I did think of that but our local one has been closed down. I'll google some more further away tomorrow. It could be worth a day trip out to find a nice home for the little one.
    As some are saying on here...I'm so tempted to keep him but I'm too scared of growing to love something else. The guinea pigs died last year and I still take their ashes to bed with me every night. :o
    Ideally I think he should be with others of his own kind.
    Plus my parrot rules the house and I don't think he'd take kindly to having another bird. He bullies the poor dogs as it is.

the RSPCA might be able to help you find somewhere
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought this was going to be about a big overcoat and running out of Tescos!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    the RSPCA might be able to help you find somewhere

Would they not just put it to sleep though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    Thought this was going to be about a big overcoat and running out of Tescos!!

Now she would get a proper telling off for that. :D