TV Deaths that really affected you

Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know if anyone watched the Irish television series 'Raw' that concluded its fourth season on Sunday, but one of the main characters Pavel died unexpectedly in the final scene that I found really upsetting and 'stayed' with me all the next day. One of those deaths that really affects you and you can't seem to shake off

Others for me have been:
- Chris in S2 of 'Skins' when he suddenly took a fit and died in front of Cassie and then she left him and ran off to New York :rolleyes: It was a horrible ending for one of my favourite characters and since they were refreshing the cast for the following season I don't know why they had to do it. Shock factor I suppose and to highlight what a tool Cassie was, it became all about her :rolleyes:

- Lucy in 'ER' when she and Carter were stabbed by a schizophrenic patient and she died from her injuries. I remember seeing the episode when it first aired way back in 2000 but it was repeated on Sky Atlantic a few months ago and it really was very tragic, especially her expression as she lay on the operating table showed how frightened she was and suggested that she knew she wasn't going to pull through

- Danielle in 'EastEnders' and I wasn't even a fan of the character and was fed up of the dragged out storyline with her and Ronnie, unlike some very very strange people posting on the Soaps forum months and months after she died, insisting she was alive and coming back and what's more they seemed to believe this themselves :eek: even going as far as laying flowers outside the EE set for her on the anniversary of her 'death' :eek: Danielle annoyed me but the way they killed her off, despite being OTT and cliched with it happening just as she and her mum were reunited, was still quite upsetting. I think it was Samantha Janus' performance that made it seem so real. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have cared

- Sarah's parachute death in 'Hollyoaks'; anyone who's seen it will understand. Truly chilling

Comments

• trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    That wee doggie in Emmerdale. When Edna(?) had to put him to sleep and had this big goodbye speech, all "You're my best friend", and the wee doggie sensed her distress and started trying to comfort her, licking her and grasping her fingers with his paws.....

GAH!!!

I remember the clip being shown on the National Soap Awards that year, and the host Graeme Norton watched it aghast, crying out "Thats not entertainment!!" :D
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,101
    Forum Member
    Lucy in ER
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Yvonne Atkins in Bad Girls!

I loved the character but she got locked in that hanging cell by Jim Fenner. Her death was not shown but they showed her screaming and scraping her nails on the sides.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    Yvonne Atkins in Bad Girls!

I loved the character but she got locked in that hanging cell by Jim Fenner. Her death was not shown but they showed her screaming and scraping her nails on the sides.

I second this.

Also, Mel Silver on Waking the Dead. I recently rewatched it on DVD and it still gets me now :( what a horrific death for such a nice character.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy in ER

I'm gonna say Mark Green in ER...
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Duckworth off Corrie.:cry:
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat in Eastenders

Madge Bishop in Neighbours, tbf I was only about 6 at the time.

Sarah's parachute death in Hollyoaks
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
    Forum Member
    I'll probably get shouted at for this but none, they're not real:D
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    none?
  • Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa, Hannah's anorexic friend in 'Hollyoaks' who had a heart attack after the illness defeated her. Can still hear Hannah's wailing :cry:
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes true but we do invest time in characters and feel when they die. Recently I have watched Torchwood: Children of Earth again (repeated on Watch) and in the final episode the demise of John Frobisher and his family has me in bits once again. Of course, this emotion can only be manifested by excellent acting and characterisation - Peter Capaldi was fantastic in this role.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Anastasia 'Dee' Dualla in BSG, that took me completely by surprise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    jimmy carr on 10 o 'clock live
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liza Faulkner in Spooks head in the deep fat fryer.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm with you.

I read on the Soaps forum that one poster had to take the following day off as they were so upset after Pat died in Eastenders.

They actually said that they rang in sick due to a "bereavement" :eek::eek:
  • Sethos DoukasSethos Doukas Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I'm with you.

I read on the Soaps forum that one poster had to take the following day off as they were so upset after Pat died in Eastenders.

If true then that person needs help with their mental issues.
    Forum Member
    I'm with you.

How pathetic:rolleyes::eek::D

I wouldn't say I haven't affected by wonderful acting, the best actors can inspire so many different emotions in the viewer. I just wouldn't say I've been "really affected" as if it's a death in the family
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Billy Thomas in Ally McBeal
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you.

The same type of person who would abuse actors playing villains, if they saw them in the street.
    Forum Member
    The same type of person who would abuse actors playing villains, if they saw them in the street.

Yes, I can't believe people actually think the actors who play villains are that nasty in real life. Some actors have been spat at, slapped and shouted at because they were so convincing playing their parts but any sane person would know they're only acting:rolleyes::D
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Thomas in Ally McBeal

Yes, that was sad. :cry:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam in Spooks. I really wasn't expecting it, and couldn't believe they'd killed him off in the first episode of the series.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick from Doctors - got hit by a lorry whilst retrieving a young boy's football from the road .....the day he finally regained use of his legs after a previous road accident.

A few seconds after watching it, I had a knock on the door saying my cat had been hit and killed by a lorry :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    freddie's death in skins series 4
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Coronation Street when Hilda sits at the table and looks through Stan's belongings. That was a genuinely moving scene and superbly acted (though the actor himself had died not long before so there would have been real emotion)