Do you REALLY believe that John Hurt is the 8.5 Doctor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
Forum Member
✭✭
In many discussions I've noticed that most people accept the theory that Hurt is 8.5 as fact. But nothing is confirmed yet. Maybe it's just another Moffat's bluff. He wants to surprise us. I don 't think he would let such an important fact to go public before 23rd of November. Here is one interesting article: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/could-john-hurt-be-the-last-doctor-54672.htm

So, what do you think?

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know which Doctor he might be or where he fits. Amazingly we know next to nothing about what's going to happen on screen. But as for that theory I think not. Can't say why. I just think even by Moffats standards that would be a leap. Because there is no 'last doctor'.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly we know next to nothing about what's going to happen on screen.

Hehe, makes a change in the year of leaks! :p
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking Hurt might be both the Time War Doctor and pre-Hartnell.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of getting all worked up over who John Hurt is actually playing, why don't we just wait and see?
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I don't think he is actually The Doctor at all, at least not "our" Doctor anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know which Doctor he might be or where he fits. Amazingly we know next to nothing about what's going to happen on screen. But as for that theory I think not. Can't say why. I just think even by Moffats standards that would be a leap. Because there is no 'last doctor'.

Why? It would be a good way to make sure that show will never end. It would be impossible to finish the show without Hurt.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are believing that Hurt is between McGann and Eccleston because the leak echoed what they were already speculating.
    Everyone stopped questioning it because they were given the impression they had got it right.

I'm still going with what I've said before...

I think Hurt is most likely the Doctor AFTER Matt and that whilst he is not seen as "The Doctor" by his predecessors, he will have redeemed himself and be remembered as "The 12th Doctor" by the end of the 50th.

I also think this will make him the "last" Doctor with the "controversial" but that Moffat referred to being the fact that the Metacrisis used the Doctor's tenth regeneration, making 10/11 the eleventh and Hurt the product of the Doctor's twelfth and final regeneration.

Note how often Capaldi has been referred to as "The New Doctor" rather than "The 12th Doctor" both on the cover of DWM and elsewhere.

I think Capaldi will indeed be "The New Doctor", the first of a new regeneration cycle, with Hurt' as I said remembered as the 12th.

Maybe we'll even get 2 Doctor's in the Xmas Special with Capaldi making a surprise appearance at the end of the 50th and Matt regenerating into Hurt who wanders off to unknown adventures, ultimately leading back into the Time War (yes I still accept he is most likely the time war Doctor, even if he's a later one) and then to his death at Trenzalore.

As for Eccleston's coat ... Maybe it could have been worn first by Hurt and the 9th Doctor obtained it afterwards?

Whether or not Capaldi makes an appearance and the explanation for the coat I'm not so sure of...

...but if I'm right in what I've been suggesting for ages about Hurt being the Doctor AFTER Matt and the product of the twelfth regeneration because of the Metacrisis counting then I shall proclaim that I have won the internet and you all owe me five pounds, a cigar and a banana :cool:
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In many discussions I've noticed that most people accept the theory that Hurt is 8.5 as fact. But nothing is confirmed yet. Maybe it's just another Moffat's bluff. He wants to surprise us. I don 't think he would let such an important fact to go public before 23rd of November. Here is one interesting article: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/could-john-hurt-be-the-last-doctor-54672.htm

So, what do you think?

That article end with saying that the John Hurt Dr could be the last Dr, I think thats a much better result, as we would know the ending, but we will also have an opportunity for an infinite number of Dr's, for as long as the producers want it to carry on for.

If it is an 8.5 Dr I suppose that would be a bridge, but nothing more, ether way we dont know as there is nothing concrete for us untill the show airs on the 23rd!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    People are believing that Hurt is between McGann and Eccleston because the leak echoed what they were already speculating.
    Everyone stopped questioning it because they were given the impression they had got it right.

I think Hurt is most likely the Doctor AFTER Matt and that whilst he is not seen as "The Doctor" by his predecessors, he will have redeemed himself and be remembered as "The 12th Doctor" by the end of the 50th.

I also think this will make him the "last" Doctor with the "controversial" but that Moffat referred to being the fact that the Metacrisis used the Doctor's tenth regeneration, making 10/11 the eleventh and Hurt the product of the Doctor's twelfth and final regeneration.

Note how often Capaldi has been referred to as "The New Doctor" rather than "The 12th Doctor" both on the cover of DWM and elsewhere.

I think Capaldi will indeed be "The New Doctor", the first of a new regeneration cycle, with Hurt' as I said remembered as the 12th.

Maybe we'll even get 2 Doctor's in the Xmas Special with Capaldi making a surprise appearance at the end of the 50th and Matt regenerating into Hurt who wanders off to unknown adventures, ultimately leading back into the Time War (yes I still accept he is most likely the time war Doctor, even if he's a later one) and then to his death at Trenzalore.

As for Eccleston's coat ... Maybe it could have been worn first by Hurt and the 9th Doctor obtained it afterwards?

Whether or not Capaldi makes an appearance and the explanation for the coat I'm not so sure of...

...but if I'm right in what I've been suggesting for ages about Hurt being the Doctor AFTER Matt and the product of the twelfth regeneration because of the Metacrisis counting then I shall proclaim that I have won the internet and you all owe me five pounds, a cigar and a banana :cool:

well I dont think you will get
    the internet... [snip] ...five pounds, a cigar and a banana
    but you theroy is interesting if I have it right are you saying that with the Metacrisis we now have two lines one with Matt that you thing will become John as 12th and the second line with David (no 2) that will become Capaldi as a 'new' 11? Who knows for sure though!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting idea... one that pretty much fits with what I was thinking of, with the 50th drawing a line under everything and Capaldi (appearing in the episode itself) being a brand new Doctor, classified as the First again... That he is truly reborn with zero guilt and zero connection with the past.

I also don't think Clara will be his companion. At the very least she will be there in his first moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member

I think there's very interesting dialogue in the Name of The Doctor. The timestream Clara stepped into was the entirety of the Doctor's life, inside Eleven's TARDIS and still owning that crack on the window pane.

Clara also said 'But I saw all of you, all Eleven faces, all of them you.' If this was the timestream from the Doctor's future as well as his past, she would've seen Twelve, and so on. But she only saw Eleven.

Saying that, I still believe Hurt is 8.5 because Eleven recognised him. How could he recognise someone from his future who he hasn't turned into yet?
  • SladenSladen Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Well, I think many people believe he is Doctor 8.5 because that is what Prince Charles was told...

Of course, if Chuck is in on the joke (Queen, too, of course, if she is a fan) then all bets are off...
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's very interesting dialogue in the Name of The Doctor. The timestream Clara stepped into was the entirety of the Doctor's life, inside Eleven's TARDIS and still owning that crack on the window pane.

Clara also said 'But I saw all of you, all Eleven faces, all of them you.' If this was the timestream from the Doctor's future as well as his past, she would've seen Twelve, and so on. But she only saw Eleven.

Saying that, I still believe Hurt is 8.5 because Eleven recognised him. How could he recognise someone from his future who he hasn't turned into yet?

That's a simple answer, he's already lived the 50th as Ten.

We've got less than three weeks to wait now, let's wait and see
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem with your logic is that the 13th Doctor is the last one - not the 12th

As things currently stand Matt Smith's Doctor is the 11th incarnation but the 10th regeneration
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I liked the idea of him being and aged and bitter version of Nine who had fought all through the Time War.

My theory was that he got exposed to a Dalek Time Destructor type weapon and "youthed" back to a more Eccleston like appearance after all his non-Doctor-ish exploits. Would also be a neat-ish way of tying up the whole age problem and why he was treating his face as "new" in Rose. Would also explain Nine being "battle-scarred" and why he was still trying to solve problems by blowing thing up - It took Rrose coming on board for him to finally get back on a true Doctor path.

The Doctor having settled on 900 after getting aged and de-aged and no longer knowing exactly how old he is.

Course that does now make Ten, the worst Doctor ever - Having lived about 5 years compared to the others 100's of years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the BBCs Dr Who 50th book, there is the design sketch for Ecc's costume, the notes on the coat says "... / 900 years old" (or similar)

Idiot designer, huge coincidence, all part of the evil master plan ? You decide.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with your logic is that the 13th Doctor is the last one - not the 12th

As things currently stand Matt Smith's Doctor is the 11th incarnation but the 10th regeneration

Try reading my post in it's entirety! :)

EDIT: In fact, what am I saying, just read the bit you quoted,:D
  • SladenSladen Posts: 258
    Forum Member

This is a seriously cool theory and I provisionally cede you at least the banana!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At what point, however, did The Doctor learn of this future incarnation - for him to become his biggest secret? Some timey wimey timestream magic?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bearing in mind that this was a Time War, what if Hurt is playing an alternate Ninth Doctor from a deleted timeline? Only the Doctor ever remembers this version because he was at "the eye of the storm" before time was reset. The Hurt Doctor has now found a way to escape his own timeline and is fighting for his very existence against our Doctor(s).
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I believe that he's between 8&9 purely because that's a position that would require the least explanation to casual viewers (and bear in mind that this episode will likely have more casuals than ever before) - everyone knows there's a gap in the 90s/early 200s, but anything else [like fitting him in a 6C role between Pat and Jon] requires fan knowledge.

Personally, I reckon that Hurt literally only lasted a day (hence both TDOTD and Moff's comments about him being a "mayfly" Doctor) - I reckon that the Time Lords forced 8 to turn into Hurt because the Time War needed more ruthless characters, and Hurt forced himself to regenerate to stop the Time Lords from using him as a weapon, turning into Nine, who then activated The Moment and fled to London in 2005.

But for some wibbly-wobbly memory-wemory reason, The Doctor can't remember much about being Hurt - he only remembers that he was turned into a Time Lord weapon, and after that he ended the Time War (hence Hurt being his "darkest secret that can never be revealed" despite openly talking about using The Moment, and hence Clara not finding her way into Hurt's life) - The Doctor assumes that Hurt commited atrocities, and while he knows that he was the man he was made by The Time Lords (hence his sympathy in TNOTD) he still hates this fact. After hanging out with Hurt, and witnessing Hurt essentially wipe himself out so that a "true" Doctor can return, I reckon The Doctor will come to view Hurt as a legitimate - perhaps even as the most selflessly heroic - Doctor.

Note, I'm not saying that 8 & 9 will be in the episode - the regens can be done with stock footage/effects like the start of TNOTD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try reading my post in it's entirety! :)

EDIT: In fact, what am I saying, just read the bit you quoted,:D

Sorry misread it this morning - without my glasses
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind that this was a Time War, what if Hurt is playing an alternate Ninth Doctor from a deleted timeline? Only the Doctor ever remembers this version because he was at "the eye of the storm" before time was reset. The Hurt Doctor has now found a way to escape his own timeline and is fighting for his very existence against our Doctor(s).

This also has been my guess for a while.

I've thought for a while that if JH's Doctor is part of the line then he'll be removed from that line (for some reason) before the end of the 50th (in a way which might not preclude him returning).
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This also has been my guess for a while.

Me too. Remember in The End Of Time when Rassilon and the other Time Lords talked about how, deep in the heart of the Time War, there were people dying and then time would reverse so they came back to life, only to die all over again?

I think it could be something like that. McGann's Doctor regenerates into John Hurt, who is the Ninth Doctor. He then uses 'The Moment' to end the Time War and kill all the Time Lords and Daleks, but a side-effect of this action is his own timeline reverses so he becomes Paul McGann again. From there he regenerates into Eccleston, who is the *new* Ninth Doctor.

So Hurt gets to be a canonical Doctor without affecting the numbering of the existing ones. :)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is hurt is the 1st doctor. Hartnell will be the 2nd and so on making capaldi the 13th and final incarnation of the doctor. The Cartmel master plan hinted in the 7th doctors era stories remembrance of the daleks and silver nemesis that he was far more than just another time lord. Omega and rassilon were the founding fathers of gallifrey. There was also a hint of a 3rd presence, the other. The other, one of the founding triumvirate of time lord society. I think hurt is the other. When the hurt incarnation regenerated into the Hartnell one he took the name of the doctor and decided to escape his past and escape from gallefrey with his granddaughter Susan in scenes that can be seen in the name of the doctor. The day of the doctor will close the circle.