Red Warning for Wales & NW England issued

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
During this afternoon a swathe of exceptionally strong winds is expected to affect western parts of Wales and then some northwestern parts of England this evening, particularly in coastal areas. Winds are expected to gust 80 mph widely and possibly reach 100 mph in the most exposed locations in west and northwest Wales.

Winds of this strength can cause widespread structural damage, bringing down trees and also leading to loss of power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. The public should take action to alter their travel arrangements during this spell of storm force winds.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_warnings.html

:o

Comments

• contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    99mph gust recorded on the southern tip of Ireland
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum lives in Mayo she has just said it is getting bad there :(
  • Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Stockport and it's getting really bad... Have to go out soon too. Hope everyone stays safe.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    First RED warning for wind for over two years.

Shipping forcast for Irish Sea:

Wind: South veering southwest storm 10 to hurricane force 12, decreasing 6 to gale 8.
    Sea State: High or very high becoming rough or very rough.

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinsale Platform , off S Ireland G96kt (110mph)
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently a red warning means its raining and a bit chilly. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your flippancy will seem ill advised if fatalities occur>:(
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'm in Stockport and it's blowing a gale and bucketing down. We have just had to stand the crane down as it is too dangerous to use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im in scotland and we have heavy snow!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think red is a risk to life:( I hope there are no fatalities. What a battering the country is taking.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clifton suspension bridge closed for first time in its history.

Lashing down here and quite windy, Houghton-le-spring, NthEast.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Lots of rain these past few months means wind speeds of 80-100mph will most likely rip a lot of trees out the soggy grounds

Floods combined, what a horrid winter for those in the constantly affected areas!!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm down in Essex and it's absolutely tanking it down here and blowing a very, very strong gale.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty tame in comparison here in Leicestershire. 20-30 mile an hour winds and a bit of rain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I think red is a risk to life:( I hope there are no fatalities. What a battering the country is taking.

There's a full programme of football on tonight. :(

For example, Crystal Palace and their fans will have to come halfway up the country to Everton in the worst possible conditions, and Liverpool fans going the other way to Fulham.

And there's so much money at stake, it's very rare for matches to be postponed these days. Everyone would be far better staying in till it passes over, certainly not taking journeys as long as that.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Blowing a gale here, just seen a wooden pallet lifted up and thrown over a fence. And intermittent power cuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    We're right on the coast between Blackpool & Fleetwood - opposite the sea wall. The wind has veered to the SW now and we've just received a flood alert for between 8 & midnight tonight. Low-lying coastal areas in danger of flooding.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    The wind is awful here and we're well away from the red zone, I can only imagine how bad it is there. I can hear my office building creaking in the strong gusts :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Lots of rain these past few months means wind speeds of 80-100mph will most likely rip a lot of trees out the soggy grounds

Floods combined, what a horrid winter for those in the constantly affected areas!!

That's the big danger.

Gust of 80 to 100mph aren't that unusual, we've had them over the last couple of years a few times. What is different this time round is the sheer level of rain, constant storm after storm so the ground is saturated and has effectively been weakened when it comes to it's ability to keep trees upright.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    Wind is very scary here, much worse than last Friday :(
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there going to be lots of power cuts later.
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing has beat 2007 in Salford yet for me. That was scary. We almost got sent home from school because all the trees were coming down and were warned against walking through the local park. I cant even remember how bad it was elsewhere.

I'm hoping it isn't too bad tonight. My house is sat by a huge crane and one of the only big trees left standing after that year around my street!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so sorry for all the people affected by the downpours lately, and now these gales.

I am in Suffolk, and around 1:30pm the sky went black and the rain / wind started. Its strong, but nowt compared to what others will experience today.

Keep safe.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for all the people affected by the downpours lately, and now these gales.

I am in Suffolk, and around 1:30pm the sky went black and the rain / wind started. Its strong, but nowt compared to what others will experience today.

Keep safe.

East Anglia has been missing out on most of the recent extreme weather. The last few weeks have been wet but nothing like other areas have been having.

Fortunately I'm a long way from the sea or a river so flooding is very unlikely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    East Anglia has been missing out on most of the recent extreme weather. The last few weeks have been wet but nothing like other areas have been having.

Fortunately I'm a long way from the sea or a river so flooding is very unlikely.

I had heavy rain earlier, all morning in fact but no high winds. The winds started about an hour ago, but have died down now and the sun has come out. :confused:

Luckily though the village I live in is on a hill, looking down towards other villages and towns so we don't really get any flooding. The roads further down do get flooded though, especially the main bus route into Wakefield but as I don't have to go into town until next week it's not an issue.