David Cameron Refuses To Do Ice Bucket Challenge

Comments

• WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably thinks if Obama doesn't have to do it then he shouldn't have to do it. Prick. For what it's worth, I think BO should have done it.

Why? He has made a donation, which is the whole point anyway. I wonder how many people who have done even know why they're doing it apart from the fact that it's the current craze.

People need to stop looking at the prime minister and president as celebrities. They're the leaders of their respective countries and do not have to do silly things to gain public approval. Judge them on their politics not their celebrity status.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly don't support his political views, but why on earth should he have to do it? Thats my problem with this whole concept - it being used as a means to attack people who opt out. Quite pathetic really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our children's children's children will be hearing about this in history classes.

David Cameron, the first British Prime Minister to not pour ice cold water over his head. I bet Maggie would have done it.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would never believe what the lead story was on the BBC news website, the other day

President Obama refuses to do the Ice Bucket Challenge

I mean, out of everything going on in the world, and someone decided that was the most important story... where has that blinkin rolling eyes smiley gone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should he, it's an idiotic thing to do anyway.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody needs to do a piss-bucket challenge! How many would be up for that?! :D

I nominate David Cameron. :D
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol it is a bit lame, you see people throwing cold water over themselves in a brief clip. But it's good that it's something that has compelled so many people to do. Did wonder if any politicians would do it.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    geobrad wrote: »
    just heard on bbc news!!!!! why?

He's wet enough as it is. :(
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Our children's children's children will be hearing about this in history classes.

David Cameron, the first British Prime Minister to not pour ice cold water over his head. I bet Maggie would have done it.
    I sincerely doubt she would have done - "I will not stoop to such a low level like that!"
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Boris? Surely this is his department.....
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were in a sensible mood, I'd have said that.

People who love these memes seem to really enjoy getting on their high horses when anyone dares to excuse themselves from joining in. It's a large part of why I have an aversion to them, to be honest, however much good they do in terms of fund raising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People need to stop looking at the prime minister and president as celebrities. They're the leaders of their respective countries and do not have to do silly things to gain public approval. Judge them on their politics not their celebrity status.

I find the fact that this needs to be said very worrying indeed. What on earth has happened to good old fashioned common sense?

Also, if Cameron made a donation then the fact the BBC ran a news item on this story seems even more petty and ridiclous, as does the creation of thread.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe the man and all he stands for but good for him.

It's a stupid, stupid thing to do. If that's how you get your fun then good luck to you but don't expect everyone to want to do it.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although to be fair Maggie could have just opened a vein to achieve a similar result.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    He's from the same stock as the previous Wicked Witch, so I guess he thought he'd melt.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Well if Miliband and Clegg do it, he'll come across as even more like an out of touch, posh boy than he already does.

Couldn't see BoJo refusing.

I'm sure he would. However, do you think the Queen should do it? The Pope?

Good on Cameron and Obama for refusing. They have to maintain the dignity of their offices. If they agreed to this they would have to go along with every nomination craze which comes along.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? He has made a donation, which is the whole point anyway. I wonder how many people who have done even know why they're doing it apart from the fact that it's the current craze.

People need to stop looking at the prime minister and president as celebrities. Theyre the leaders of their respective countries and do not have to do silly things to gain public approval. Judge them on their politics not their celebrity status.

Firstly as government seeking politicians everything they do is assessed in terms of its effect on future electability.

Secondly if he had simply acted as a person and refused as an ordinary person I'd have no problem with it, but to hide behind the supposed dignity of high office is a form of dishonesty.

Sadly its Obama's fault; if he'd done it as Bush has done, Cameron would then have similarly have 'accepted' the challenge. Obama should have done it and then challenged 'macho man' Putin.

Imagine if Neville Chamberlain in 1939, or Churchill thereafter, had challenged Hitler ......
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Firstly as government seeking politicians everything they do is assessed in terms of its effect on future electability.

Secondly if he had simply acted as a person and refused as an ordinary person I'd have no problem with it, but to hide behind the supposed dignity of high office is a form of dishonesty.

Sadly its Obama's fault; if he'd done it as Bush has done, Cameron would then have similarly have 'accepted' the challenge. Obama should have done it and then challenged 'macho man' Putin.

Imagine if Neville Chamberlain in 1939, or Churchill thereafter, had challenged Hitler ......

Putin probably does it every morning just for kicks. And then wrestles a bear.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I find the fact that this needs to be said very worrying indeed. What on earth has happened to good old fashioned common sense?

Also, if Cameron made a donation then the fact the BBC ran a news item on this story seems even more petty and ridiclous, as does the creation of thread.

I think it proves that some politicians have tried to cross the line into the vacuous world of celebrity. I prefer them to have a stab at doing the job they're paid to do.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I think he's actually gone up in my estimation for not doing it good for him, whatever next eh is the queen going to get a good soaking in the gardens of Buckingham palace
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should start a list of people who have said no to it. They are the ones I'd have more respect for.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    As much as I dislike the man I don't see why not taking part in a facebook craze about pouring a bucket of icy water over your head is newsworthy.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    We should start a list of people who have said no to it. They are the ones I'd have more respect for.

Put me on your list.

Patrick Stewart had the right idea about what to use an ice bucket for:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Put me on your list.